House Price Crash Forum

Youth Unemployment Rises To Record Level Of Nearly One Million

Laid off workers with readymade skills, qualifications and experience flooding the market.

Graduates from 2008 still sniffing around.

Abolishment of retirement ages stifling career ladder opportunities and openings

Massive house prices and rent costs

Global wage arbitrage/competition

The young don't stand a chance, and I fear the demographic time-bomb will pop far too late for many. They are quite literally a generation lost.

We need working tax credit.

We aren't going to work to be worse off. That would be foolish.

No point going through a costly bureaucratic administrative processes of taxing people only to give them their own money back. The Govt should just simply take away less from the worker in the first place. £10k tax allowances would be a good start.

Universal Credit?

Should be along in 2 years time?

nah, stop fracking up the housing market with subsidies and people would be able to afford to buy and sell...because prices would be in the unsupported market range.

Jacking up asset values means everyone needs more dosh...and if wages arent paying it, all the jacking does is increase poverty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8268595/Record-youth-unemployment-as-jobless-total-hits-2.5-million.html

'It is the latest sign that the private sector is struggling to create enough jobs to offset the number of people being made redundant in the public sector.

The figures, published today by the Office for National Statistics, revealed the number of 16 to 24-year-olds out of work increased by 32,000 in the quarter to November to reach 951,000, or 20.3pc - the highest level since comparable records began.

Employment fell by 69,000 over the quarter to reach 29.09m – more than double what analysts had predicted.

The number of economically inactive people increased by 89,000 over the quarter to reach 9.37m. The figure includes workers who are too sick to look for work, people who have chosen to study rather than face the dole queue and workers who have taken retirement in the three months to November.'

How on earth are these poor kids gonna pay their uni debts,let alone support the housing and pensions ponzi's?there is noone speaking for them these days as we run up debts in their name.

I won't really blame them if they p1ss in our coffee in the old folks home-if we still have them,that is.

9.37m thats the highest its ever been, just as well unemployed rate is steady at 1.5 million under peak, the UK is clearly blessed with alot of rich people who dont need to work

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

No point going through a costly bureaucratic administrative processes of taxing people only to give them their own money back. The Govt should just simply take away less from the worker in the first place. £10k tax allowances would be a good start.

Cut back on the tax burden, reduce government expenditure and get rid of unproductive public sector staff. :)

Ok, who are you and what have you done with the real "PopGun"? :P

But seriously, yes this is what you need. The only point I should raise is that from first principles you really need about a £15,000 personal allowance, with extra top ups for children etc.

If you take the minimum single person benefits package as being about £6,000 (inc housing benefit) then to incentivise work you need to withdraw this at no more than 40p in the pound, which would take you up to £15,000 before you can even think about taxing earnings.

And if you've got 3 kids and would be entitled to benefits of £20,000 per year then logically your personal allowance should be £50,000.

I'd be interested to see if you could make that work from a fiscal point of view. My guess is that the benefits savings and increased receipts from increased economic activity might make it just possible.

Appoint me your ruler and it's the second thing I'll do, right after I pass the Kirsty Allsop (Public Humiliation and Imprisonment) Act 2015.

9.37m thats the highest its ever been, just as well unemployed rate is steady at 1.5 million under peak, the UK is clearly blessed with alot of rich people who dont need to work

A.K.A pensioners :unsure:

If retirement at 65 has just been abolished, does that mean millions of OAPs will appear in the next set of figures for economically inactive?

the legacy of a failed education system, a benefits system that penalises low paid work when young and regulation that stifles small business.

rule britannia!

It is the latest sign that the private sector is struggling to create enough jobs to offset the number of people being made redundant in the public sector

Why would the private sector suddenly start creating more jobs just because the government has cut jobs. This would happen if the job cuts were used to cut taxes, but the cuts are only happening to slow down the rate at which the government borrows, which can only have a negative impact on the private sector. Unfortunately the cuts have to happen and we need to accept that the economy will have to correct itself before it can start to grow again. The quicker this happens, the better it will be in the long run.

the legacy of a failed education system, a benefits system that penalises low paid work when young and regulation that stifles small business.

rule britannia!

Business has to pay a living wage that is enough to pay the rent, heat the house and feed the family.....too many are reliant on the state simply because big business is making big money for itself and is happy for the taxpayer to foot the benefits bill. ;)

At which point I'd be 25 and eligible for working tax credit

....which will be roled into Universal Credit along with HB etc.

My prediction is that UC will be 140 per week. There are 2 big hints; National insurance contributions will start from 139 quid this april and the new level for the state pension will be 140, due to be announced later this year.

So, that is it. Big changes are a cumin'.

Employment fell by 69,000 over the quarter to reach 29.09m – more than double what analysts had predicted.

The number of economically inactive people increased by 89,000 over the quarter to reach 9.37m.

69,000 net jobs lost. And the population of 18-64 year olds probably increased by 20,000 during the quarter. For a gain of 89,000 on the economically inactive.

My prediction for the decade is a rise of 5 million in the economically inactive by 2021. At 89,000 a quarter it would rise by 3,560,000 over the decade. So below pace. :D

Guest spp

Some labour troll on sky news refusing to accept the U.K deficit is their fault.

It's now called the 'global deficit' btw!

This is insane...the banksters get millions in bonuses and these inept politicians get to run the country.

Is everybody out there nut$!??

Haha I love your cynicism +1

Actually you could guarantee this, by ensuring that everyone must stay on to do their MA / PHD.

That should take most people to 24 or 25 without actually working, plus you'll double at least the amount of student debt as they'll end up spending at least 6 years at Uni, so we've sorted out the funding issue's.

Then we'll have the most highly educated unemployed workforce in the world, but at least we won't have any youth unemployment and everyone will be a debt slave with at least £60k of debt before they even start looking at buying a house.

Some labour troll on sky news refusing to accept the U.K deficit is their fault.

It's now called the 'global deficit' btw!

This is insane...the banksters get millions in bonuses and these inept politicians get to run the country.

Global Deficit

I like that, I wonder which spin doctor came up with that one. Genius.

One of my colleagues keeps telling me at work it's "global".

Actually you could guarantee this, by ensuring that everyone must stay on to do their MA / PHD.

That should take most people to 24 or 25 without actually working, plus you'll double at least the amount of student debt as they'll end up spending at least 6 years at Uni, so we've sorted out the funding issue's.

Then we'll have the most highly educated unemployed workforce in the world, but at least we won't have any youth unemployment and everyone will be a debt slave with at least £60k of debt before they even start looking at buying a house.

Or like in Germany introducing 2 year military (or civilian) service so that they are 20 before they even go to university. At which they are obliged to do a double PhD which takes them 14 years. Thus no work till they are 34!

Or like in Germany introducing 2 year military (or civilian) service so that they are 20 before they even go to university. At which they are obliged to do a double PhD which takes them 14 years. Thus no work till they are 34!

Haven't they just announced the scrapping of military service?