House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Banner

Unemployment Up By 49,000 - Worse Than Expected

Unemployment up by 49,000 to 2.5 million.

Worse than expected.

UK JOBLESS CLAIMS CHANGE (DEC) COMES IN AT -4.1K BEATING EXPECTATIONS OF AN UNCHANGED READING

http://www.dailyfx.com/real_time_news/#ixzz0luV8JSzg

What is your source? Can unemployment be up but claimant count be down?

Edit: Sorry, I mean what is the Beeb's source? Where would we find the official release?

Edited by FaFa!

UK unemployment rose by 49,000 to 2.5 million in the three months to the end of November, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has said.

However, the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance in December fell by 4,100, the ONS said.

The ONS also said average earnings rose by 2.1% in the year to November.

On Tuesday, the Institute of Public Policy Research warned that the UK faced a double-dip in employment, with the jobless level rising during 2011.

UK unemployment rose by 49,000 to 2.5 million in the three months to the end of November, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has said.

However, the number of people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance in December fell by 4,100, the ONS said.

The ONS also said average earnings rose by 2.1% in the year to November.

On Tuesday, the Institute of Public Policy Research warned that the UK faced a double-dip in employment, with the jobless level rising during 2011.

Thanks

9:31, Wednesday 19 January 2011
LONDON (
Reuters
) - The number of Britons claiming unemployment benefit
fell unexpectedly
last month, while the number of people out of work rose in the three months to November (Berlin: NBXB.BE - news) , official data showed on Wednesday.

Good on the BBC to avoid spinning this as good news unlike the silly buggers on the Reuters desk.

The only stats I'm watching now is the number of employed people.. full time and part time. And comparing it to population growth for the year to get the labour force participation rate.

The government always has a million and one reasons why someone should not count as unemployed. But so far at least I don't think they have been counting extra jobs than there actually is.

With all the skilled economists this country is blessed with, why is every bit of news coming out at the moment 'surprising'?

I know. It's surprising, isn't it? ;)

The only stats I'm watching now is the number of employed people.. full time and part time. And comparing it to population growth for the year to get the labour force participation rate.

The government always has a million and one reasons why someone should not count as unemployed. But so far at least I don't think they have been counting extra jobs than there actually is.

I tend to look at income tax receipts. They are the best proxy for the quality and nature of the jobs out there. The problem is that the data is only available on a lagged and not a coincident basis.

I tend to look at income tax receipts. They are the best proxy for the quality and nature of the jobs out there. The problem is that the data is only available on a lagged and not a coincident basis.

That is a very good way to look at it as well. Reminds me of the old looking at electrical production figures to guess real economic activity. I look at those too:).

That is a very good way to look at it as well. Reminds me of the old looking at electrical production figures to guess real economic activity. I look at those too:).

There are statistics that can be easily manipulated and ones that are much harder to manipulate.

The output of power stations, taxes that people pay etc are less likely to be manipulated than GDP, RPI, employment rates etc.

love the way that they are trying so hard to pump december without acknowledging the thousands of part time jobs that spring up in that month alone. There will be nothing to pump next time.

Unemployment up by 49,000 to 2.5 million.

Worse than expected.

You mean the private sector isn't magically creating jobs out of thin air to cover the job losses in the public sector? :o

9:31, Wednesday 19 January 2011
LONDON (
Reuters
) - The number of Britons claiming unemployment benefit
fell unexpectedly
last month, while the number of people out of work rose in the three months to November (Berlin: NBXB.BE - news) , official data showed on Wednesday.

Good on the BBC to avoid spinning this as good news unlike the silly buggers on the Reuters desk.

Of course it was unexpected. People actually have to sign on in person. Maybe the it was the snow after all.