House Price Crash Forum

Comet Knocks Kesa Electricals Christmas Sales

I run a business that compares prices at Comet and the other big electrical retailers and we have seen the same amount of people on the site(s) comparing prices but about a 75% reduction in people actually buying since the VAT hike :unsure:

Things have dropped off so much in these first 3 weeks of January I am actually start to think the time that the majority on this forum have been warning about (HPC, £ devaluing, UK itself going under) etc is rapidly approaching and there is nothing that the powers at the top that are meant to guide us in troubled times can do to navigate through the perfect storm that is approaching.

Edited by GeordieAndy

I run a business that compares prices at Comet and the other big electrical retailers and we have seen the same amount of people on the site(s) comparing prices but about a 75% reduction in people actually buying since the VAT hike :unsure:

The drop off would have happened even without the VAT hike.... I think retailers (like EAs) feel happier when they can blame a downturn on something which isn't their fault (weather, VAT, etc etc).

People are battening down the hatches.... they'll make their PC/laptop/stereo/TV last another year (or 3)... nobody in their right mind would spend money on electricals at the moment unless absolutely necessary.

On a very anecdotal level, I bought a £5 camping kettle to tide me over when my 10 year old jug kettle broke. 6 months later I'm still using the camping kettle - do I really want to spend £30 on a replacement? Maybe not this month... or next month...

The drop off would have happened even without the VAT hike.... I think retailers (like EAs) feel happier when they can blame a downturn on something which isn't their fault (weather, VAT, etc etc).

Of course I understand and agree with you about retailers looking for excuses (clutching at straws) but as I say the feeling I have and what my anecdotal evidence (stats) bore out is that Christmas 2010 really could have been the last hurrah before as you say people bunker down and as I suggested above, before the storm the powers that be blew off course in 2008 by lowering interest rates, quantitative easing and "saving the banks" comes back ashore stronger :o

Edited by GeordieAndy

Things have dropped off so much in these first 3 weeks of January I am actually start to think the time that the majority on this forum have been warning about (HPC, £ devaluing, UK itself going under) etc is rapidly approaching and there is nothing that the powers at the top that are meant to guide us in troubled times can do to navigate through the perfect storm that is approaching.

what is the business? (not a shill, interested in how it works).

If the sheeple aren't touching electrical goods with a bargepole then maybe it's about time to pick up a few bargains. May be in the market for a new freezer.

If the sheeple aren't touching electrical goods with a bargepole then maybe it's about time to pick up a few bargains. May be in the market for a new freezer.

The business is offering free price comparisons of products like moneysupermarke.com, confused.com etc do and just like them (but on a much smaller scale!) getting a commission payment for every product or service sold at the merchants we compare that originated from our site.

I would hold off until the closing down sales for your bargains :D

The business is offering free price comparisons of products like moneysupermarke.com, confused.com etc do and just like them (but on a much smaller scale!) getting a commission payment for every product or service sold at the merchants we compare that originated from our site.

I would hold off until the closing down sales for your bargains :D

Know what you mean - but for big ticket items I prefer to get a decent insurance policy. So I buy from companies that should still be around in 3-5 years.

Like the rest of hpc, I want a fair price, not the complete destruction of the entire economy.

Edited by Lambie

Sounds bad. What was the drop off this time last year like?

The BoE and Govt have been pushing on string for at least a year now imo.

Edit. I'll also add when I did a quick look through my customers systems and compared the sales for Jan 1st to 11th this year against last year, sales are down 15% across the board, with them all complaining phones are ringing as much.

For some of my customers their sales have falled 25% since the 2008 peak despite rising comodity prices like copper (up £1000 over a 4-6week period before Xmas), so losing a couple of million in sales is alot.

Thanks for sharing your sales data too.

Despite having 4x the traffic and also 4X the amount of people clicking through to the retailers we compare sales are about the same :o

I'm finding that technology is moving at a slower rate these days. Where it used to be absolutely necessary to replace a PC every couple of years to maintain compatibility, the chances are you can now make do with a 5 year old PC for most things and for many people, even older than that. I've just been looking at cordless phones for home, and they really haven't changed in functionality since I last bought them so it's only the fact the old ones have packed up that has lead me to buy. IMO, they should have bluetooth, LCD screens and li-ion batteries by now but they don't.

The only other thing that I'd buy in the next few years is HD TV kit, but as I'm not interested in a satellite deal, I'm waiting till the TVs come equiped with the right features, such as built in Free sat and HD recording. I'm not keen on set top boxes.

for the last 3 years, i have always planned to moveout of home (in to rented) in May this year, as i do not know if the place i'll end up renting will have White Goods or not, i've planned that it wont.

i went to Curry's at the weekend to price up, Fridge Freezer, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer, Microwave, Kettle, toaster, dishwasher, cooker (regardless of the VAT etc) and with no mention of warrenty they was willing to knock off about 12.5% of the total purchase (about £1650 after discount)

As usual when a retailer reports a drop in profits I like to check their last annual report for any increase in the CEO's remuneration.

This is a good one :rolleyes:

Thierry Falque-Pierrotin

12 months to April 2010 £2,105,430

12 months to April 2009 £521,838

A cool 400% in a year B)

http://kesaelectricals.com/results-and-reports#117|tab=136

Edited by Redhat Sly

for the last 3 years, i have always planned to moveout of home (in to rented) in May this year, as i do not know if the place i'll end up renting will have White Goods or not, i've planned that it wont.

i went to Curry's at the weekend to price up, Fridge Freezer, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer, Microwave, Kettle, toaster, dishwasher, cooker (regardless of the VAT etc) and with no mention of warrenty they was willing to knock off about 12.5% of the total purchase (about £1650 after discount)

Freecycle.

Seriously, give it a try there's some good stuff on there.

Freecycle.

Seriously, give it a try there's some good stuff on there.

It's great way to get rid of unwanted stuff, that's hardly worth EBaying! :)

In my experience the customer service I received was bloody awful at comet. Some product descriptions were also incorrect and some false. When I asked about products the staff knew anything about them. Seems to me like the company is in a tailspin.

On a very anecdotal level, I bought a £5 camping kettle to tide me over when my 10 year old jug kettle broke. 6 months later I'm still using the camping kettle - do I really want to spend £30 on a replacement? Maybe not this month... or next month...

You're making me feel all guilty now as we just bought a £30 kettle from House of Fraser. It was reduced from £60 (Comet were a tad more) which is a heck of a lot for something that just makes me cups of tea. I am a product designer though so I am allowed to have nice things now and then! :rolleyes:

We have a krups kettle and it is shit. Never worked properly, lid pops up and so it boils away leccy and the on button has to be weighted down occasionally. My wife nearly killed me when I pulled the old one out the cupboard as it does the job so much better the only fault, it wasn't crome.