House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Jobcentre Plus To Axe 9,300 Jobs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8267501/Jobcentre-Plus-to-axe-9300-jobs.html

The news comes as official unemployment figures out on Wednesday are expected to show the number of people of out of work jumped by 45,000 in the three months to November, to 2.49m.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said Jobcentre Plus was grappling with a 25pc budget cut that would lead to thousands of roles being shed nationwide over the next few years. DWP, which is also faced with 25pc spending cuts following October's Spending Review, said it hoped the majority of job losses would come from so-called "natural turnover" – not replacing contractors whose assignments are coming to an end. Some voluntary redundancies will need to be made, however.

The plans leave a question mark over the Jobcentre's ability to help millions of people find jobs when it is under immense pressure to cut costs. A row over working conditions at seven Jobcentres, including Manchester and Glasgow, has already provoked a 48-hour strike due from this Thursday.

Unemployment increasing, what better time can you reduce your workforce when you deal with unemployed people? Even a boom in your own area doesn't mean you'll keep your job.

The jobless recovery continues.

http://www.telegraph...-9300-jobs.html

Unemployment increasing, what better time can you reduce your workforce when you deal with unemployed people? Even a boom in your own area doesn't mean you'll keep your job.

The jobless recovery continues.

I love that phrase...."thousands of Roles".

Almost like going to work isnt a job at all.

I love that phrase...."thousands of Roles".

Almost like going to work isnt a job at all.

Ah yes, but life is but a stage and we are all actors upon it.

9:30 am folks--exciting stuff but a sad antidote to life sucking HPI. May it rest in hell forever!

Whenever ive been unemployed and gone to a job centre, the last thing they wanted to do is help me find work. Tell me which benefits im entitled to, yes. Find work, no.

If anyone working at a Job Centre was any good at finding jobs, they wouldn't be working there themselves.

If anyone working at a Job Centre was any good at finding jobs, they wouldn't be working there themselves.

Agreed, I worked there for a few years when I moved out of London and struggled to find the £50k salary equivalent I was used to. Of course I was good at finding jobs so swiftly moved on. The DWP is an absolute hell hole of a place to work and the saying 'how can I soar like an eagle when I'm amongst pigeons' is apt. The good, intelligent people who fall on hard times and find themselves a desk there don't put up with the arrogance of the middle management so the staff turnover can be 20%. the people who stay are the school drop outs who get to feel ever so important being a part of the recruitment process or the ones who rightly abuse the sick policy but again would be otherwise unemployable in the real world. Give them a taste of their own medicine and hand them their P45 we can do without them.

On a personal level I don't like to hear of anyone losing their jobs.. but I can't help but find people in a job centre losing their jobs as perversely funny.

On a personal level I don't like to hear of anyone losing their jobs.. but I can't help but find people in a job centre losing their jobs as perversely funny.

I looked at applying many years ago when they were always short staffed in about 1991. That was until I saw the wage! It was about £4500 entry level - which was awful and certainly not enough to tempt me.

Job searching can be done online - as long as people have internet access somewhere be it at libraries or the job centre.

Whenever ive been unemployed and gone to a job centre, the last thing they wanted to do is help me find work. Tell me which benefits im entitled to, yes. Find work, no.

I had a spell of 'signing on' and it was a poor experience.

It does appear to be a benefits elegibility check, nothing more. You were only allotted 5 minutes every two weeks in any case.

Actually, most of the budgets - for training, the 'New Deal' for the over 50s, travel assistance to interviews etc, were cancelled long ago by Labour. The Job Centre staff were not connected to the Internet proper, only DirectGov. No one appeared to have any recruitment experience, no one ever even asked for a CV.

I can only remember being harangued to use a bank account instead of the Post Office. This became a huge issue. Obviously there was a Labour target to drive Post Office business to banks.

Whilst I can't compete (yet) with others' experiences of job centre plus, I suspect the reason for these cuts isn't to do with effectiveness or efficiency. Government chums in the private sector will be circling to run the system, when they are not commissioning hospital places or doing the admin for `academies'.

Recent Private Eye article.

[

Workfare company A4E – it stands for Action for Employment – has huge contracts with the government to help the unemployed into work. But its most recent success has been in finding a job for former Conservative Central Office functionary Jonty Olliff-Cooper, appointing him as its new director of policy and strategy.

A4E has a history of hiring political insiders: it recruited David Blunkett as an adviser when Labour was in power. But a former Labour minister will not be as helpful looking after its £150m contract with the government as a Conservative one. Jonty was an assistant to David Cameron aide Steve Hilton in the Tory party policy unit; before that he taught at Eton and had a brief spell on a reality TV show playing an aristocrat looked after by servants, in Channel 4’s The Edwardian Country House.

“Super job”

Going by his Twitter account, Jonty is the perfect man to butter up his Conservative chums. “DC just did an awesome job,” he burbled after a personal meeting with the Prime Minister on 10 December. (Poor Jonty also walked into the student demonstration between Westminster meetings, tweeting that he was “caught in protest again, police horsemen doing super job”.)

A4E is currently tendering for the massive Work Programme, which, unlike previous schemes for the unemployed, will be entirely delivered by contractors. This is good news for A4E and for Jonty, but not necessarily for the taxpayer or the unemployed. The last official audit report into A4E’s back-to-work schemes found that they had “universally failed by considerable margins to meet their contractual targets for helping claimants” and “performed worse than Jobcentre Plus areas”.

So how do you solve the problem that your preferred company performs worse than your non-preferred public organisation. Answer: you nobble the public sector one.

And Emma Harrison who owns/runs it has been appointed by "Dave" to sort out struggling families. Careful if you google the name though - there are less, er, modestly dressed examples of women with that name came up on my screen.

Y

I like the DWP phrase used of "our customers"

they don't call them customers behind their back, I can assure you

'servile proles' was one of the more polite terms

Whilst I can't compete (yet) with others' experiences of job centre plus, I suspect the reason for these cuts isn't to do with effectiveness or efficiency. Government chums in the private sector will be circling to run the system, when they are not commissioning hospital places or doing the admin for `academies'.

Recent Private Eye article.

[

Careful if you google the name though - there are less, er, modestly dressed examples of women with that name came up on my screen.

Y

I had to check this for myself.

Oooooh, I'm a struggling family! help me Emma (wasn't she in neighbours?)

Emma-Harrison-5.JPG

Or...

We'll manage thanks, Emma

emma-harrison.jpg

I feel bad for the good ones, and they are out there, but I am pretty sure no-one is happily making a career out of it anyway.

What I have noticed recently is the insane amount of time the staff are spending having personal conversations on their mobiles. It is downright weird. I have listened to problems with a broken fridge and birthday organising calls, while I have been sitting there.

There will never be a time under this current system whereby 100% of the employed produce/create enough wealth to support their own salary. There are just too many people, too many people who have sub standard intelligence for the private sector and not enough consumer demand for this to be viable.

Therefore, the choice is;

A) to have peoples days occupied by bending paperclips back into shape/putting ticks on paper in the public sector paid for by private sector tax take (I'm not saying that this is 100% of the public sector, just enough to keep unemployment to an acceptable level)

B ) to have them do nothing all day, become disillusioned and start causing mayhem

It's a shitty choice, but A has been the least shitty up until now. Of course the problem is that now choice A is not an option because we've run out of money. in fact we've more than run out of money, we've run out of the ability to steal money from the future.

There will be extreme riots this year.

Edited by Reck B

I think they can cut down a bit on the number of people there to "find you jobs", when there won't be many!

I'm pretty sure they have to "jump through hoops" as indeed do their "customers! :blink:

There will never be a time under this current system whereby 100% of the employed produce/create enough wealth to support their own salary. There are just too many people, too many people who have sub standard intelligence for the private sector and not enough consumer demand for this to be viable.

snip

the salaries arent the problem in relation to wealth creation.

Its the DEBT.

If a community all works and produces 100 carrots, then they can all eat...from the 100 carrots.

If however, some of the community take loans and force up the "value" of carrots, the ones with the debt will get the carrots, the rest will see their salary as insufficient and away we go with wage demands to meet the price of carrots.

Banking finance is pure evil..it benefits one person only...the banker. And he should be shunned as the evil he is.

And I dont mean sweet Alice behind the counter at Barclays.

That`s strange, I`ve just been to the local Job Centre and the very helpful staff got me an interview within twenty minutes. I would suggest that any problems you`ve encountered are down to your own attitude.

It is not at all funny...it is reality. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised of the Job Centre is privatised, get a hopeless company such as Prospects or A4e involved to "run" the service, who then get massive bonuses for doing an even worse job...

I wouldn't be surprised of the Job Centre is privatised, get a hopeless company such as Prospects or A4e involved to "run" the service, who then get massive bonuses for doing an even worse job...

I have wondered about this.

Could it be a very calculated move?

- Take a lot of expensive public provided services with very rigid labour laws

- Privatise them with less rigid labour laws

- Let them become so expensive that the electorate accepts that we can no longer afford them

- Get rid of the services without many disruptions