House Price Crash Forum
200p

Breaking News - 8% (1200) Of Jobs To Go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-12223558

Hampshire County Council to axe 1,200 jobs to save £55m

Council leader Ken Thornber Council leader Ken Thornber said the authority had no choice

Continue reading the main story

About 1,200 jobs are set to be axed at Hampshire County Council under plans to save £55m for 2011/12.

The authority says it plans to save £7m by cutting senior management, implement a recruitment freeze and save £10m by renegotiating contracts.

Another torpedo into houseprices. When will her bulkheads crack?

Ken could have taken a pay cut and saved at least 5 of the jobs.

I wonder if the government jobs data to be released at 9:30 will reflect any LA job cuts? Probably not as most are only now kicking in. Jobs are always a lagging indicator but they do the most damage to house prices. Sad that we have to rely on job losses to have affordable housing. If the fools could only see how much damage HPI has and is doing to people's lives.

Edited by Realistbear

They DO have a choice.

CUT PAY BY 50% above 25K

Let the pain be shared.

when that is done, then see who needs to be sacked for being a spare **** at the orgy.

They DO have a choice.

CUT PAY BY 50% above 25K

Let the pain be shared.

when that is done, then see who needs to be sacked for being a spare **** at the orgy.

Ahhh but then they ALL wont be able to afford their over-priced ( private sector funded ) house.

Ahhh but then they ALL wont be able to afford their over-priced ( private sector funded ) house.

you are right....but this isnt about good news.

They DO have a choice.

CUT PAY BY 50% above 25K

Let the pain be shared.

Do you really think that anyone earning over 25k doesn't deserve it? Is this just public sector or private sector as well?

Do you really think that anyone earning over 25k doesn't deserve it? Is this just public sector or private sector as well?

Private sector does what it needs to to pay the bills.

Public sector hasnt for a long long time.

25K is a good average wage...the stats say so.

differentials above this are just plain ridiculous when the gap between bottom and average is 15K, yet there is a market for 50K plus jobs only recruitment agencies.

Are Doctors worth 4 times the average wage?

I dont think so. and even if they are..they could afford to take a drop in differential...you know, take one for the team as it were.

Meanwhile, these Execs will cut front line counter staff, bin men, the men that come and fix the boilers, the street lights, the libraries...anything that PROVES beyond doubt, that public services are being drastically shaved.

Yet the Office blocks become better equipped, the IT more useless, the Exec car parks more and more full.

sickening...

I say lets start with those that dont NEED all that money....then cull the worthless and get public sector to a minimum practical level.

There is NO job in local government worthy of a salary greater than £25k. Think you're worth more? Fine, earn it in the private sector.

I don't care what size budget you are in charge of, how many people you are responsible for, £25k is enough.

The only important job is rubbish collection and they even do that woefully.

There is NO job in local government worthy of a salary greater than £25k. Think you're worth more? Fine, earn it in the private sector.

I don't care what size budget you are in charge of, how many people you are responsible for, £25k is enough.

The only important job is rubbish collection and they even do that woefully.

I don't work in the public sector, I've got a proper job.

However, I disagree with you that people in local government shouldn't earn more than 25k. Seems a bit silly.

They DO have a choice.

CUT PAY BY 50% above 25K

Let the pain be shared.

Just to clarify, is that a 50% cut in salary over £25k or a 50% cut in salaries over £25k?

Anyway, are you advocating that Police, Social workers, Environmental Health officers, Trading Standards Officers, Teachers etc work for £25k pa?

Hampshire County Council to axe 1,200 jobs to save £55m

Hampshire CC 8% 1200 - Manchester 17% 2000

Are they comparable size authorities? (Someone quotes MCC as looking after 500,000 people but I don't have a proper source for that figure to hand)

Ken could have taken a pay cut and saved at least 5 of the jobs.

Ken only receives about £40k pa.

The basic for a Hants councillor is about £12k. When you divide that across time on council duties, it can easily be less than NMW.

Just to clarify, is that a 50% cut in salary over £25k or a 50% cut in salaries over £25k?

Anyway, are you advocating that Police, Social workers, Environmental Health officers, Trading Standards Officers, Teachers etc work for £25k pa?

no, Im advocating a cut of the difference between the average wage and the salary.

so a person on 30K would see a 2.5K cut.

a person on 100K would see a 37.5K cut.

Id do the same on the pensions...I havent considered the cut off figure, but lets suppose a couple on state get 5K...then that would be a good place to look.

They DO have a choice.

CUT PAY BY 50% above 25K

Let the pain be shared.

Agree with the principle - why are the unions not proposing across the board pay cuts for all in order to protect jobs? That would be solidarity, that would be helping all their "comrades". Far too sensible for people like that - best to rant and fight another losing battle like the ones they lost int he 70s and 80s.

Minimum wage for public sector workers should be £50k. Minimum council tax for every household should be £5k.

Cut your coat according to your cloth

The chief executive of my local council makes 20% more than the mayor of New York City -- a place with 50 times the population, a higher cost of living, and a much broader range of issues to deal with. The answer to your question is NO -- a 40 year old, ex-policemen with 5 years experience in local government, does not deserve £190,000 a year and a gold plated pension for life. The higher levels of local government are massively over-paid in the UK.

I'm with Bloo Loo on this one. A 50% pay cut on money above £25k a year seems fair in a time of cutbacks. If they think they are worth more, great go and try to find a job in the private sector - not gonna happen in 99% of cases.

I am also in agreement posters who are fed up with this class system they are creating. Sorry I don't want to live in a society where there is such a huge differential in income for different people. Like I am happy for a senior manager to make a very respectable income and live well.. but to make 20 times what another man who puts in an honest work week makes.. it is excessive.

These 10, 20, 30 times differences in income seem more appropriate in like Bangladesh than in a first world nation. Societies like France and Sweden seem to function very well and somehow get competent people in important positions, with more egalitarian pay structures.

I would also note nations with more egalitarian income distribution seem economically stronger. Its better to have a broad middle class, than a few rich guys and most people just barely surviving.

The chief executive of my local council makes 20% more than the mayor of New York City -- a place with 50 times the population, a higher cost of living, and a much broader range of issues to deal with. The answer to your question is NO -- a 40 year old, ex-policemen with 5 years experience in local government, does not deserve £190,000 a year and a gold plated pension for life. The higher levels of local government are massively over-paid in the UK.

agreed. there are also massive other anomolies with public sector pay - I dont necessarily agree cutting jobs is always the answer as likely they will more than likely have to pay those 1200 people redundancy pay & if its voluntary to begin with, then guess who the people are who will be volunteering...

do other things to reduce - enforce pay cuts, remove "perks" such as keyworker affordable housing schemes, free parking, free public transport. ridiculous pension schemes

Change processes internally to speed up how long it takes to do anything. when i go into council offices i have a 20 minute wait to get new visitor parking permits - when i get to see the lady she then has to scratch off the zone that applies to where i live (zones A-G denoted by different scratch off numbers), so that wastes another 10 minutes. I then have to fill in a form with all my details, she has to write down the voucher numbers issued. that then goes to someone else to type into a database somewhere....why?! Offer staff a £100 bonus for every good idea that gets implemented that saves time or money

Agree with the principle - why are the unions not proposing across the board pay cuts for all in order to protect jobs? That would be solidarity, that would be helping all their "comrades". Far too sensible for people like that - best to rant and fight another losing battle like the ones they lost int he 70s and 80s.

Because union leaders earn far more than most of their members (Bob Crow, for example, earns about £100k) and supporting a policy like that would mean their own salaries would come under far more scrutiny and likely be cut.

Because union leaders earn far more than most of their members (Bob Crow, for example, earns about £100k) and supporting a policy like that would mean their own salaries would come under far more scrutiny and likely be cut.

Maybe interviewers should start asking him about his salary...

Some NHS benefits:

The New NHS Pension Scheme

With effect from 1 April 2008, new NHS employees aged 16-75 have the opportunity to join the New NHS Pension Scheme. This includes non-GP partners but does not include general dental practice staff.

The scheme offers a retirement pension based on 1/60th of the employee’s reckonable pay for each year of scheme membership and proportionally for any part year.

Members’ contributions are tiered, based on the employee’s full-time equivalent pensionable pay including pensionable allowances. Contributions range from 5% to 8.5%.

Further information is available from the NHS Pension Scheme website.

Annual leave

Annual leave is linked to your length of service.

When you join NHS Direct as a full-time employee, you are entitled to annual leave of 27 days a year. This increases to:

• 29 days a year after 5 years’ service, and
  • 33 days a year after 10 years’ service.

Entitlements to annual leave are pro rata for part-time employees.

Flexible working

Our flexible working options include:

• part-time working,
  • job sharing, and
  • temporary reduced hours.

Season ticket loan

If you use public transport to travel to and from work, you may benefit from our season ticket loan. You can apply for a loan of up to £5,000 a year, and the repayments are spread throughout the year, in 12 monthly instalments taken directly from your salary.

Buying a 12 month season ticket for public transport may also be cheaper than buying individual daily or monthly passes or tickets.

Exclusive staff offers

There are a range of exclusive offers for NHS Direct staff. Examples include discounts on:

• electrical products,
  • holidays and short breaks,
  • driving lessons,
  • restaurants,
  • health and leisure clubs, and
  • clothes.

Visit the NHS Discounts website for more information.

Employee assistance programmes

We operate a confidential staff support helpline.

Occupational health

Our occupational health service offers medical support for all our staff.

Partnership working

We work in partnership with several union bodies, including:

Flexible retirement

Retirement involves a significant change in lifestyle. Support and policies are available for staff approaching retirement, offering various options.

Improving Working Lives (IWL)

All employers in the NHS are expected to achieve the IWL standard which means they value the contribution their staff make. As an NHS employer, NHS Direct offers:

• modern employment practices,
  • recognition that staff need to strike a healthy balance between work and home life,
  • involvement in developing working arrangements, and
  • personal and professional development and training opportunities.

Some NHS benefits:

The New NHS Pension Scheme

With effect from 1 April 2008, new NHS employees aged 16-75 have the opportunity to join the New NHS Pension Scheme. This includes non-GP partners but does not include general dental practice staff.

The scheme offers a retirement pension based on 1/60th of the employee’s reckonable pay for each year of scheme membership and proportionally for any part year.

Members’ contributions are tiered, based on the employee’s full-time equivalent pensionable pay including pensionable allowances. Contributions range from 5% to 8.5%.

Further information is available from the NHS Pension Scheme website.

Annual leave

Annual leave is linked to your length of service.

When you join NHS Direct as a full-time employee, you are entitled to annual leave of 27 days a year. This increases to:

• 29 days a year after 5 years’ service, and
  • 33 days a year after 10 years’ service.

Entitlements to annual leave are pro rata for part-time employees.

Flexible working

Our flexible working options include:

• part-time working,
  • job sharing, and
  • temporary reduced hours.

Season ticket loan

If you use public transport to travel to and from work, you may benefit from our season ticket loan. You can apply for a loan of up to £5,000 a year, and the repayments are spread throughout the year, in 12 monthly instalments taken directly from your salary.

Buying a 12 month season ticket for public transport may also be cheaper than buying individual daily or monthly passes or tickets.

Exclusive staff offers

There are a range of exclusive offers for NHS Direct staff. Examples include discounts on:

• electrical products,
  • holidays and short breaks,
  • driving lessons,
  • restaurants,
  • health and leisure clubs, and
  • clothes.

Visit the NHS Discounts website for more information.

Employee assistance programmes

We operate a confidential staff support helpline.

Occupational health

Our occupational health service offers medical support for all our staff.

Partnership working

We work in partnership with several union bodies, including:

Flexible retirement

Retirement involves a significant change in lifestyle. Support and policies are available for staff approaching retirement, offering various options.

Improving Working Lives (IWL)

All employers in the NHS are expected to achieve the IWL standard which means they value the contribution their staff make. As an NHS employer, NHS Direct offers:

• modern employment practices,
  • recognition that staff need to strike a healthy balance between work and home life,
  • involvement in developing working arrangements, and
  • personal and professional development and training opportunities.

Gizza Job

Are Doctors worth 4 times the average wage?

LOL. Is that 4 a typo?

I agree public sector wages are far too high but can I just ask if you want to cut any private sector pay at all? Or does everyone in the private sector deserve every penny?