House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reck B

Huw Edwards

Ive been told by a beeb droid that hes a big union man. Quelle surprise.

Met him a few times. very, very charming and polite. Though perhaps a tendency to vainness which I suppose happens with that kind of job (tv frontman)

Edited by Sir John Steed

I read the following line about inflation on the bbc yesterday

'which has now remained above the 2% target by one percentage point or more for 13 months.'

A very roundabout and indirect way of reporting how the bad the BoE's record is. Maybe Huw just got confused with the stupid official BBC fudge.

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

I read the following line about inflation on the bbc yesterday

'which has now remained above the 2% target by one percentage point or more for 13 months.'

A very roundabout and indirect way of reporting how the bad the BoE's record is. Maybe Huw just got confused with the stupid official BBC fudge.

Should have said 50% or more over target to give it proper impact. 1% sounds like they are somewhere close.

Met him a few times. very, very charming and polite. Though perhaps a tendency to vainness which I suppose happens with that kind of job (tv frontman)

It's not as if one can really get an idea of the personality of a newsreader just from watching them read the news, but I kinda like Huw Edwards. He does seem charming and polite -- but also very calm and patient, not easily flustered. He manages to sound like he wants what he's saying to make sense, even to people who don't necessarily keep up with all the latest developments, while managing to (just about) avoid being patronising.

I'm curious to know how his tendency towards vanity manifests itself...

It's not as if one can really get an idea of the personality of a newsreader just from watching them read the news, but I kinda like Huw Edwards. He does seem charming and polite -- but also very calm and patient, not easily flustered. He manages to sound like he wants what he's saying to make sense, even to people who don't necessarily keep up with all the latest developments, while managing to (just about) avoid being patronising.

He's dangerous. All the BBC presenters are. They take very sober presenters, have a very understated set, and people trust them, like a broadsheet program. FOX news or ITV come across as tabloidy, with their OTT presenters and cartoonish graphics, despite the fact of all 3, id say BBC is the most disgraceful.

He's dangerous. All the BBC presenters are. They take very sober presenters, have a very understated set, and people trust them, like a broadsheet program. FOX news or ITV come across as tabloidy, with their OTT presenters and cartoonish graphics, despite the fact of all 3, id say BBC is the most disgraceful.

I agree.

They're sneakily subtle. Sometimes the mask slips, but the BBC are a mad, bad organisation and the nations psyche would be clearer without their constant subversion. (and blatant love for high house prices)

Switch it off, I say.

Edited by Reck B

Wow! I'd better watch myself! :)

If you've ever seen Huw Edwards out, he's absolutely immaculate, not a hair out of place. I remember seeing him on the platform of Canary Wharf station surrounded by some young (I assume) BBC flunkies, he positively radiated like a demigod. I've chatted to him, at a military show, and he was very courtesy and couldn't take enough time. I'm probably being a bit unkind claiming he is vain, as looking good at all times comes with his job I suppose. I've nothing against him.

On Armando Ianucci's Charm Offensive (Series 3) Stewart Lee described how he'd (allegedly) seen Huw Edwards fertively taking 30 sachets of sugar from Starbucks on Shepherds Bush.

http://www.sci-fi-online.com/2008_reviews/audio/08-06-12_iannucci-charm3.htm

Does Huw know something the rest of us should?

Edited by Dave Spart