House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pajd

I Viewed A House Today

Is this normal? I mean it was literally a couple of hours ago. Do they ring back so soon asking what you thought?

The first offer was X amount at the weekend and someone else offered 3 grand more yesterday (which i think is a ghost offer)

Sorry im a newbie at all this and thats why im asking.

Edited by pajd

Is this normal? I mean it was literally a couple of hours ago. Do they ring back so soon asking what you thought?

The first offer was X amount at the weekend and someone else offered 3 grand more yesterday (which i think is a ghost offer)

Most EA's are liars. One or two on here seem to be reasonable types, but as a rule, they are pretty low in the great scheme of things.

If you ignore everything they say you'll be doing yourself a favour.

Buying a house is like betting on a horse. Believe nothing you hear and only 50% of what you see.

I could never understand why an EA would invent an offer just to increase the price by a few grand. Why risk losing a buyer for the sake of an extra few percent commission? It might be worth it in a sellers market, but at the moment it seems too risky.

How long has the house been on the market?

How often does this happen ... nothing for months and then two offers in the space of a few hours! I think the OP will need to offer at least the asking price and for good measure add 10% and hopefully the EA will prefer the OP over the other applicant and ensure that the OP is successful in winning the competition.

only 10%

he'll need to pledge his teenage daughters too, and even then it will be a bargain as prices only ever go up

It's quite normal and just good sales practice to follow up and see what a potential buyer thought.

Sorry, I don't think you can read 'desperate EA' into this one!

EDIT on reflection, I have had this on other houses that have sold, ifts is on at a good price a developer who wants it could easily offer more.

On the flip side I had an EA call a couple of days ago and instantly dropped the price by £15k when I said I could be interested but over priced. Its not normally that deasy to get a discount off a place that was laredy well priced 2004 levels.

I smell despair

Edited by FIGGY

With all the houses I've viewed the agent normally calls back the next working day.

It seems strange that the house has been on the market for quite some time and now you view and all of a sudden there are two other offers. Has it recently had a price reduction to explain the sudden interest? If not I'd be suspicious. Estate agents can and do make up phantom offers. I've had first hand experience of that.

edit: "The first offer was X amount at the weekend" who made this offer? I'm assuming not you?

Did the estate agent ring you back to tell you about this offer and the other one at £3K more? or was you told at the viewing or before you viewed?

Edited by Pent Up

It's quite normal and just good sales practice to follow up and see what a potential buyer thought.

Sorry, I don't think you can read 'desperate EA' into this one!

Ringing back the same day is highly unusual.

I wouldn't like to comment on why they might have behaved in this way.

Ringing back the same day is highly unusual.

I wouldn't like to comment on why they might have behaved in this way.

I don't have a lot of experience, but when I bought a house at the peak of 2007 the agent made our lives a misery with their constant chasing.

I threatened to pull out if I heard from them again!

I cancelled a viewing I had set up for this morning. Said the inflation news just out was devastating and would lead to higher IR so I felt it best to wait a few more months. The EA was dumbstruck and sounded very sad on t' other end of the line.

I cancelled a viewing I had set up for this morning. Said the inflation news just out was devastating and would lead to higher IR so I felt it best to wait a few more months. The EA was dumbstruck and sounded very sad on t' other end of the line.

Brilliant. What was the agents reaction?

Most EA's are liars. ...

Yup --- And they work alongside the greatest liars in all history - namely "Mortgage Brokers". They will lie and lie until their teeth drop out, and they will also lie on your behalf. -They will offer you what is in effect a PREDATORY LIAR LOAN to "help" you on your way.....[ not]. You will be urged to go along with this - see all below.

Record all contact with them - and send the tapes/recordings to the Police and the FSA when they start trying to get you to commit fraud... [not that either of them are much cop.... :rolleyes: ].

Edited by eric pebble

Thats sounds like a good wind up....

Only to be beaten by withdrawing an offer with the same explanation......

If you really have found your dream home and are prepared to buy it, make a cheeky offer, hold tight, dont compromise, leave it on the table and walk away. Its win win for you. You either get what you want for what you're prepared to pay or let it go and find something bigger, better located costing less in 6 months time. You cannot go wrong. We're far too early in the price crash for an EA to to force your offer up.

I've never met an estate agent I like. They are born liars, like recruitment consultants. If someone offered 3K more let them buy it. If this is your dream home and you are mad enough to buy, be cheeky; go knock on the seller's door and ask them if they received your offer or the 3K+ offer. They will be mighty angry if they haven't. I've spoken directly to buyers before and it's surprising what bullsh1t stunts EAs try to pull.

You have all the time in the world to find yourself a home in the next couple of years. Why compete when you don't have to? It's a sure way to pay over the odds. WAIT! ;)

I don't have a lot of experience, but when I bought a house at the peak of 2007 the agent made our lives a misery with their constant chasing.

I threatened to pull out if I heard from them again!

We sold at the peak of 2007, and our agent badgered the buyer half to death because he knew if it went even a couple of weeks more, we'd be back on our way down the other side again, and the deal would have been dead. We knew that as well.

We've seen quite a few (over-priced and dodgy) properties in the last few months, through a variety of agents. We're in rented on two months mutual notice, and will go at the first sniff of a decent bargain, but only ONCE has an EA called us afterwards for feedback on the viewing.

And no, it wasn't the ex-Foxtons one - he's remarkably laid back about bothering to follow-up (although he's not lost his talent for ramping and BS-ing out of every pore!!!) :rolleyes:

In our current area this change in trajectory would be significant IMO.

B

I've never met an estate agent I like. They are born liars, like recruitment consultants. If someone offered 3K more let them buy it. If this is your dream home and you are mad enough to buy, be cheeky; go knock on the seller's door and ask them if they received your offer or the 3K+ offer. They will be mighty angry if they haven't. I've spoken directly to buyers before and it's surprising what bullsh1t stunts EAs try to pull.

You have all the time in the world to find yourself a home in the next couple of years. Why compete when you don't have to? It's a sure way to pay over the odds. WAIT! ;)

A friend of mine wanted to buy a flat in 2008 against my best advice, he was adamant. I then rang the agency, arranged a viewing, made an offer 20% below the asking price! Of course it was rejected. I rang them back and screamed and shouted and gave them hell. I wanted to demoralise them. It was all an act. My mate then put in an offer slightly above mine and bagged the flat. Hooray!

Ok, he then sold the flat at a £10k loss in 2009 when he lost his job ( still a bargain considering the cost of renting for a year in zone 1 London) but my point is, that if you're adamant about buying, you should use every scheming trick in the book to bag a bargain. We're on a downward trend and no one needs to pay the asking the price or over the odds.

Edited by Earthling10

A friend of mine wanted to buy a flat in 2008 against my best advice, he was adamant. I then rang the agency, arranged a viewing, made an offer 20% below the asking price! Of course it was rejected. I rang them back and screamed and shouted and gave them hell. I wanted to demoralise them. It was all an act. My mate then put in an offer slightly above mine and bagged the flat. Hooray!

Ok, he then sold the flat at a £10k loss in 2009 when he lost his job ( still a bargain considering the cost of renting for a year in zone 1 London) but my point is, that if you're adamant about buying, you should use every scheming trick in the book to bag a bargain. We're on a downward trend and no one needs to pay the asking the price or over the odds.

+1

Mystery shopping friends are your BEST friends.

Play the lying b@stards at their own game, and have some fun....

B

+1

Mystery shopping friends are your BEST friends.

Play the lying b@stards at their own game, and have some fun....

B

My crystal balls predicts at least 5 more years of nominal falls with another 7 years of flat prices before any consistent rise.

When buying a property you need to have balls of steel, audacity and be absolutely brutal. The boot is on the other foot now. Anyone who pays over the odds today deserves everything coming over the next "lost decades" in house price.

I would add that the bast majority of sellers have benefited for the 300% rise in the last decade so there is PLENTY of scope to negotiate with them.

Edited by Earthling10

Viewing a house tomoz. 4 bed detached on at £179K, reduced from £200K.

Its right on the edge of my town where I grew up as a nipper with easy access to miles and miles of open countryside. This house is actually right on the edge, you literally step out of the front door 15 yards into open fields.

Cheeky bid of £160K take it or leave it.

I normally wait until the next day before chasing a viewing. There is a tendency on the part of the buyer to not want to be rushed/harried too much.

I have had seven genuine occasions in 2010 (that I remember, it could be more) when we had more than one buyer offering on a property at the same time. On every one of those occasions it was because the vendors had listened to our advice and had listed the property at the correct price for the current market - three of those were repossessions which will always be priced to attract buyers.

If the property seems cheap compared to the majority of the other housing stock (i.e. the correct price), it may be a genuine double offer. The fact that the agent chased so quickly might also indicate that he knew there was another offer on the table.

There is always the chance that is is a ruse but a good agent will use genuine negotiation tactics to agree a sale and will also try to persuade the vendor to come down rather than some dirty trick.

+1 Good advice.