House Price Crash Forum

Savings Rates Need To Go To 6.17% To Stay Ahead Of Inflation

SHORT Les Paul Futures!!

In all seriousness I think the art / antiques / cool cars / wine market is really only for those who live and breathe it. Anyone else is just gonna lose.

If you look at the number of guitars for sale, you would think there are more guitarists than the whole population of the planet! Bubble! :o

Gold up over 30% in 2010, silver up over 80%.

Hey RB, dont'cha wish your investments were hot like mine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLA4BW1b89w

How much metal and what is your profit? Or are you still holding?

A wise man once said: "Your profit is the difference between what you paid for something and the price you received when you sold it." The past tense is key to working out how much you have made.

I loaded up heavily in 2010 on US bond funds and made around 10%--realised profits. Would I have put so much in metals--would you have placed a large bet on gold? Probably not--most gold investors are in 10% of total portfolio. I have extensive holdings in silver that, as you say, went up 80% last year but I made nothing because my silver coins are still gathering dust.

Edited by Realistbear

If you look at the number of guitars for sale, you would think there are more guitarists than the whole population of the planet! Bubble! :o

Very few guitars rise in value--like art--most will never appreciate.

Stradavarius violins appreciated more than gold over the past decade going from around £200k to £2m. The worst performing investment over the last 30 years is still gold at around one half of IA peak in 1980.

Its all about market timing whether gold or tulips. Watch the herd and when they start selling gold from vending machines in the supermarkets you might say its time to move on. Gold is not a good buy and hold--unless you plan to live a long time. The poor sods who held after the great gold crash of the 1980's may die before they break even. They bought on the dips even after the price began to sink which was a big mistake. If every dip was a buyinf opportunity nothing would ever decrease in value.

Gold is more religion than investment as you see when nearly every thread is hijacked by gold bugs. :D

I know--lets have GOLD forum!

Hang on.....................

How much metal and what is your profit?

RB, even if I had only bought a single 1/10 of an ounce coin at the start of 2010, the money spent on that would have earned me 30% more than just leaving that same amount in the bank. A 30% return is still a 30% return.

(Gold is up more than 30% actually, so my 30% figure accounts for some of the costs involved in selling.)

Or are you still holding?

Are you kidding?

You're insane if you don't own gold, investors told

Not owning gold during the current financial turmoil is "a form of insanity", according to an investment analyst at a leading City firm.

Robin Griffiths, a technical strategist at Cazenove Capital, told CNBC: "I think not owning gold is a form of insanity. It may even show unhealthy masochistic tendencies, which might need medical attention."

He added that the dollar was heading for "oblivion".

LINK

Perhaps you should use your 10% bonds profit into paying for that medical attention Robin Griffiths recommends?

RB, even if I had only bought a single 1/10 of an ounce coin at the start of 2010, the money spent on that would have earned me 30% more than just leaving that same amount in the bank. A 30% return is still a 30% return.

(Gold is up more than 30% actually, so my 30% figure accounts for some of the costs involved in selling.)

Are you kidding?

LINK

Perhaps you should use your 10% bonds profit into paying for that medical attention Robin Griffiths recommends?

Now that you have sold your gold--what next? Must admit that was a good move given the recent peaks at a moving average of $1374. At least now you can say you have actually made money on gold rather than just theorising.

Who is Rob Griffiths? Is he related in some way to Mr. Griffiths that lives somewhere up north? I used to know a Mr. Griffin but he died a long time ago--my best mate's Dad in fact. But I am not aware of any Griffiths character. Is he a gold bug of some sort? :rolleyes:

Very few guitars rise in value--like art--most will never appreciate.

Stradavarius violins appreciated more than gold over the past decade going from around £200k to £2m. The worst performing investment over the last 30 years is still gold at around one half of IA peak in 1980.

Its all about market timing whether gold or tulips. Watch the herd and when they start selling gold from vending machines in the supermarkets you might say its time to move on. Gold is not a good buy and hold--unless you plan to live a long time. The poor sods who held after the great gold crash of the 1980's may die before they break even. They bought on the dips even after the price began to sink which was a big mistake. If every dip was a buyinf opportunity nothing would ever decrease in value.

Gold is more religion than investment as you see when nearly every thread is hijacked by gold bugs. :D

I know--lets have GOLD forum!

Hang on.....................

To be fair, the gold bugs haven’t been proved right yet. That will be after the hyperinflation. It would be nice if realistbear accepts he was wrong and that silver and gold was the best way to benefit from the HPC as the gold bugs said. But I bet he will just disappear into anonymity when the time comes.

To be fair, the gold bugs haven’t been proved right yet. That will be after the hyperinflation. It would be nice if realistbear accepts he was wrong and that silver and gold was the best way to benefit from the HPC as the gold bugs said. But I bet he will just disappear into anonymity when the time comes.

Silver is different. When I dumped gold in very early 1980 I hung onto my silver and see that it has risen slightly over 30 years. Most of it is in uncirculated Morgans which are worth about $36 each--I paid around $10. Wow--what a great investment. Wish I had put everything in Vanguard Wellington Fund which has outpaced gold over the LT to where gold would have to rise to $50k just to keep up!

Deflation is next. The post yesterday suggested the black hole is $130TR and it is a vortex that is still sucking out inflation everywhere except in the land of miracle economics where house prices are still 5 times earnings.

Edited by Realistbear

Well done on your gains but swallowing the rampers hyperbole?

Time for a move to the goldbugs' preserve.

I agree--well done BART for realising your profit on gold. Was it enough to buy a house?

I am tempted to sell my silver coins but see the price is back down well below $30. My issue with selling is that the profit over 30 years is pathetic. Made more is a couple of weeks on Ford shares that I sold for an 11% profit--annualised that is a lot! Its all about timing and actually selling to realise the gain. Too many get burned by hanging on and buying on dips that are really a trend down.

Yes--time to move on to the gold forum. Looks like several threads went gold overnight when the mods were akip. :D

Silver is different. When I dumped gold in very early 1980 I hung onto my silver and see that it has risen slightly over 30 years. Most of it is in uncirculated Morgans which are worth about $36 each--I paid around $10. Wow--what a great investment. Wish I had put everything in Vanguard Wellington Fund which has outpaced gold over the LT to where gold would have to rise to $50k just to keep up!

Deflation is next. The post yesterday suggested the black hole is $130TR and it is a vortex that is still sucking out inflation everywhere except in the land of miracle economics where house prices are still 5 times earnings.

Deflation where the value of paper money goes up and the price of goods goes down? Yeah, give me a break.....Anyone who believes this is a complete idiot.....The only asset going down in price will be houses due to a lending drought and the shortage of cash due to higher energy and food prices.