House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
guitarman001

Bdev & Tw Rocketing

BDEV and TW share rocketing, no signs of slowing up. TW up 9% so far today alone!! Am I living in a crazy reality? Was I wrong to sell out not long ago!?

You're wrong to keep watching (and agonising over) short-term volatility, one way or the other. And you're wrong to be trading so much. Or (arguably) to be trading at all before you've stepped back from short-term gambler mentality.

When I was watching BDEV and TW shares in the Autumn what struck me was how many forums exist online debating their share prices and how many Joe Publics appear to have an interest in their shares.

OK, these were probably a small share of the movers and shakers of these shares but I noted that they went from gloom to doom often within hours depending on what the meeja was saying about house prices.

So I suspect lots have read the Express today and got excited.

I understand that these shares traditionally fall in Autumn and bounce up in the New Year on anticipation of a flourishing housing market.

I know, I know... I shouldn't agonise. No way I'm getting in any time soon - I just don't understand, the whole thing is ridiculous.

Why crazy? TW USA returns to profit and share go up?

What I don't get is that prices look set to fall, and so this must be reflected in new-build prices and hence their profits..!?

BDEVers keep saying how BDEV deals now in high-end high-priced homes, but surely price falls have to feed through. I hate their optimism - they have nothing BUT positive things to say.

Fundamentals are never priced in 100% of the time. We can never know all the reasons why people buy and sell shares.

All company statements, not just property related, have a hint of positive spin. One can be a great chief executive by spinning out the positives even if it was the end of the world tommorrow.

RDW Redrow plc 117.90 -6.00 -4.84%

IGG IG Group Holdings Plc 440.20 -21.60 -4.68%

BWY Bellway plc 609.00 -29.00 -4.55%

BDEV Barratt Developments plc 92.50 -4.30 -4.44%

PSN Persimmon plc 400.80 -18.10 -4.32%

The bankers have mae their profits.

You left out TW - only down about 3% :o

The bankers have mae their profits.

You left out TW - only down about 3% :o

I've done very well out of trading Persimmon , it will have to be nearer 300 for me to get back in though.

If the stock market corrects here , which i feel it is about to , i'd expect all the builders to be up there with the miners in the top faller lists. ABG is looking tempting though at is approaches 500. Must resist....

I've done very well out of trading Persimmon , it will have to be nearer 300 for me to get back in though.

If the stock market corrects here , which i feel it is about to , i'd expect all the builders to be up there with the miners in the top faller lists. ABG is looking tempting though at is approaches 500. Must resist....

I have been watching both BDEV and TW for the past 6 months and they do appear to have been in a loop. Up, down, up down, down, down, down, down?

I have been watching both BDEV and TW for the past 6 months and they do appear to have been in a loop. Up, down, up down, down, down, down, down?

so have the HFT computers I would wager.

And counting.. Barratt is now 5.3% down

Why do you think miners wil be top fallers?

I just keep calling builders' shares wrong. Glad to see the drop on Friday.

Well I'm in quite a few AIM miners so hope it's not as bad as you say!

One of the reasons for some of the falls (rumoured) is laid out below.

Oh, and a quick point - the BDEV falls have wiped out nearly a month's worth of gains...

This is one of the reasons for the recent excessive falls in some AIM quoted stocks.

On 21 Jan 11, CMC Markets, one of the world’s leading online CFD providers and financial spread betting companies, has de-listed ALL AIM stocks and all AIM share bets that remain open will be closed out at the closing price on 11th February 2011.

This has been causing some excessive selling in many AIM listed stocks (i doubt OTC are included as it was just a panick sell off) and is worth noting if any of your AIM stocks are being hit by an unexplained sell-off as it could last until 11 Feb 11.

This is worth spreading around any other AIM listed stocks who are currently being affected by an unexplained sell-off that began around 21 Jan and will continue to 11 Feb so that fellow investors are aware of what could be going on with their investment.

This AIM de-listing was mentioned by one of their clients over on ADVFN (on 27 Jan) who must sell his position in GKP by 11 Feb 11.

Note, I have found the actual official answer from CMC Markets and posted it below the ADVFN post for clarification:

----------------------------------------------

From ADVFN GKP thread:

Martin Cadd - 27 Jan'11 - 15:19 - 69335 of 69476

With the greatest respect to all posters I need some assistance.

I am a forced seller because I have a large spreadbet in GKP with CMC who are retracting AIM stocks on the 11th February. There will probably be quite a few spreadbetters being forced to sell at the moment which will not do the price any favours.

http://www.cmcmarkets.co.uk/about

"CMC Markets are one of the world’s leading online CFD providers and financial spread betting companies, with over 26 million trades executed annually."

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting/111238-cmc-markets-owner-answers-your-questions-88.html

CMC Markets owner answers your questions

QUESTION:

Originally Posted by rjmahan View Post

Hi Peter just received this message letting me know you are dropping AIM shares.

"Please note that from close of trading on 21st January 2011, the AIM index is being de-listed and we will no longer be able to open new positions on AIM shares on Marketmaker.

UK AIM shares can only be closed out or reduced by calling us on 0207 170 8202 (UK) or +353 (0)1 256 3060 (Ireland). AIM share bets that remain open will be closed out at the closing price on 11th February 2011.

"

Simple question - why are you doing this ? I dont currently have any AIM positions with you but I like the idea of competion in this area. You seem to be ceding this territory to your competitors. Is this just an old platform thing ?

Cheers,

Rob

ANSWER:

Good morning rj

Thanks for the post and taking the time.

We are de-listing the aim stocks on market maker because we wanted to focus on the core liquid markets, all of the major markets and we have started that process now. if you look at the way we automate the execution on next gen spread bet that means focusing on all the major liquid products. we need automated execution on precision pricing real time. we will have an extensive list of products on next gen which will cover all of the major markets. we will look at aim stocks etc for next gen but we are not there yet. will keep you updated.

thanks peter

You know you're into bubble territory when pure gamblers (spreadbetters) have such a big net position as to make a difference to share prices.

If a provider is getting out, that could be because the market has got too volatile for them to cover their position, and they don't want to be left holding the Big One when the music stops.

Having said that, there is of course a reason all those gamblers are in there: the outside chance of a big win. Like the national lottery, or the horses.