House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
twinkle

Average Discounts

According to Hometrack, the current average discount against asking price is about 4-5%. If this is an average, it means that some people are getting big discounts, and other numpties are paying the full asking price.

So...what's the best discount you've heard of from your friends and families?

That chap off Call Yourself a Property Developer said he starts negotiations at 20-30% below asking price. An estate agent told me a few months ago that he has had offers £20-30k less than the asking price (didn't say how much the properties were worth though!) The problem being if we did this, we would probably get estate agents laugh in our faces. Anyone put in "silly" offers recently?

According to Hometrack, the current average discount against asking price is about 4-5%.  If this is an average, it means that some people are getting big discounts, and other numpties are paying the full asking price.

So...what's the best discount you've heard of from your friends and families?

That chap off Call Yourself a Property Developer said he starts negotiations at 20-30% below asking price.  An estate agent told me a few months ago that he has had offers £20-30k less than the asking price (didn't say how much the properties were worth though!) The problem being if we did this, we would probably get estate agents laugh in our faces.  Anyone put in "silly" offers recently?

I went into 3 local estate agents last week to sign up. I was absolutely honest and said that I had £150k to spend, so I was looking at properties at around the 200k mark. It didn't phase them in the slightest and they gave me details of loads of properties at around £200k. I am going to try my luck this week!

Furthermore, in the local property paper this week, there were 5 ads (on the halifax listings) along the lines of this:

"Serious buyers want 2 bed property up to £120k, call for details"

2 beds are typically £145+ round here! the knack here is to be totally honest with the EAs, I actually think they are on your side. One even said to me the other day that 'vendors have their heads in the clouds'.

The times they are a changing!

Interesting. Perhaps this is why EA always show you properties 10-20% more than your top limit. I thought it was because they want to make as much money out of you as possible? One rang me a few weeks ago saying he had a house £40K more than my top limit (at least, the limit that I told him), when I pointed this out, I asked him if they were open to offers.....long pause. He's not rung me since.

That chap off Call Yourself a Property Developer said he starts negotiations at 20-30% below asking price. ... The problem being if we did this, we would probably get estate agents laugh in our faces. 

Why would that be a problem? Do they want a sale, or not?

Ooooh! That's what I like to hear! Which part of London, and when did you sell? Was it on the market for long? Why did you decide to accept such a discount?