House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonkers

Latest Seo Techniques

I have an interview tomorrow and I need to be up to speed on the latest SEO techniques/fashions. Whilst I will be scouring the net and cramming today, anyone got any simple tips from the front line? It would be nice to have a firm phrase for the recruiter, and as I have been out of the work loop for a while I might lack focus in my research today.

I have an interview tomorrow and I need to be up to speed on the latest SEO techniques/fashions. Whilst I will be scouring the net and cramming today, anyone got any simple tips from the front line? It would be nice to have a firm phrase for the recruiter, and as I have been out of the work loop for a while I might lack focus in my research today.

look at seomoz and the blogs there for ideas.

Personally its all about link building and that seems to be moving towards public relations and other link building skills.

Also take a look at how hotukdeals are building a hub / spoke approach with various blogs around the edge of a site to build up a critical mass of highish PR sites.

It's all about links. Well links and viral. Well, ok links, viral and social media.

Actually it's just about social media.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150089473512162&set=a.99561567161.88196.99556512161

this photo on rightmove's facebook has some interesting stats from hitwise.

Social media is where it's at and mobile sites & apps are likely to be more important.

SEO is onpage, offpage, white hat and black hat...

I've just read "Why now is the time to crush it! cash in on your passion" which enforces the importance of social media and something being a brand - so SEO is about getting out across the social media in a coherent way that engages with people.

You could argue that "people" are the new "links".

look at seomoz and the blogs there for ideas.

Personally its all about link building and that seems to be moving towards public relations and other link building skills.

Also take a look at how hotukdeals are building a hub / spoke approach with various blogs around the edge of a site to build up a critical mass of highish PR sites.

Cool, so it hasn't changed that much and my evidence from my previous job still stands up enough (blogs plus youtube virals).

Thanks for the hotukdeals tip, bit of focus, cheers.

In my job hunt some of it has been and acronym and buzz word arms race, being a bit of a plain speaker myself.

It's all about links. Well links and viral. Well, ok links, viral and social media.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150089473512162&set=a.99561567161.88196.99556512161

Social media is where it's at and mobile sites & apps are likely to be more important.

I've just read "Why now is the time to crush it! cash in on your passion" which enforces the importance of social media and something being a brand - so SEO is about getting out across the social media in a coherent way that engages with people.

I produced branded video interviews that got linked to and placed on fansites and facebook pages. This will be my example. There is always this fear that while I have been busy doing other things the whole tech world changed. I think it might be OTT to brush up on search keywords before I know what the company requires. Phew, I am not in the dark ages too much!

"SEO" (aka "arms race to try and subvert google") is spam with a veneer of semi-deception that it's something less evil.

Google's objective is to return pages most relevant to its users' searches. What the user wants, and what google aims for, is that a website will come top in a google search when it's the most relevant to that search, and not when it isn't.

The "SEO" industry aims to subvert that so that google users will find the spammer's client's less-relevant page over more relevant ones.

To do this, they have to con their own clients. This will typically take the form of defining some particular search term as a target and then seeking to capture it briefly for the client. The con is multifold: firstly that people searching for that term will be any use to the irrelevant website and won't just hit the "back" button, and on top of that come issues of durability ("you've fallen out of the index? Pay us lots more to get you up there again").

There are also sometimes legal issues involved: Google makes efforts to work for users and against spammers, and some of the latter have taken to complaining that this is abusing a monopoly position. Of course if any of them were to win and Google forced to abandon the fight, Google itself would become no more than another Yahoo: of little use to its own users, and would have to be reinvented.

Fortunately there is a right way to come top in google searches: create pages with really good contents! But the "SEO" merchants won't want you to focus too much on that, lest you realise they have nothing worthwhile to offer.

Oh, and yes I do know something of what I speak. I've attained google "pagerank" of 9 on a personal site before I'd ever heard of pagerank, just based on good contents. Colleagues I've met through serious web work (e.g. other Invited Experts on W3C working groups I've served on) have had similar experiences. That comes by focusing on the contents alone and ignoring "SEO".

I would argue that Social Media is not where it is at because unless you a really willing to spend resources on it (either time or money preferably both) it won't get you anywhere. Social media will get you an audience if you are really willing to spend time on it but anything you achieve will rapidly disappear if you don't continue spending that time on it.

Furthermore Social media pages are very transitory and as such won't provide much added value when it comes to improving the PR of your site. Facebook Likes will bring people to your site but that is not the same as improving your placement on google.

this is not to say that the Social Media should be ignored but it is about people not links and should be regarded as a separate area.

To be honest the answer depends on the client and what they are trying to achieve.

Is it to sell items in a hurry?

Build a long term business while reducing their dependency on Adwords?

"SEO" (aka "arms race to try and subvert google") is spam with a veneer of semi-deception that it's something less evil.

Google's objective is to return pages most relevant to its users' searches. What the user wants, and what google aims for, is that a website will come top in a google search when it's the most relevant to that search, and not when it isn't.

The "SEO" industry aims to subvert that so that google users will find the spammer's client's less-relevant page over more relevant ones.

To do this, they have to con their own clients. This will typically take the form of defining some particular search term as a target and then seeking to capture it briefly for the client. The con is multifold: firstly that people searching for that term will be any use to the irrelevant website and won't just hit the "back" button, and on top of that come issues of durability ("you've fallen out of the index? Pay us lots more to get you up there again").

There are also sometimes legal issues involved: Google makes efforts to work for users and against spammers, and some of the latter have taken to complaining that this is abusing a monopoly position. Of course if any of them were to win and Google forced to abandon the fight, Google itself would become no more than another Yahoo: of little use to its own users, and would have to be reinvented.

Fortunately there is a right way to come top in google searches: create pages with really good contents! But the "SEO" merchants won't want you to focus too much on that, lest you realise they have nothing worthwhile to offer.

Oh, and yes I do know something of what I speak. I've attained google "pagerank" of 9 on a personal site before I'd ever heard of pagerank, just based on good contents. Colleagues I've met through serious web work (e.g. other Invited Experts on W3C working groups I've served on) have had similar experiences. That comes by focusing on the contents alone and ignoring "SEO".

I am glad I started this thread, the gaming the search engines SEO is something I don't agree with it at all, and actually wouldn't know how to do. (It was done in one company I worked for, a lot of pointless effort). I don't want irrelevant uninterested traffic sending my bounce rate through the roof.

I think I might have enough here to construct something brief to say at the interview, to avoid getting bogged own with it, as one of my big interview fails is gabbing on about a single topic while my other skills are left out in the cold (ie I spent an hour talking about marketing in an interview for a tour managing admin job, doh!)

I've attained pagerankings on the 1st page of results for the websites I've developed for relevant on topic searches. And I agree that good quality content is king as far as ranking highly is concerned.

However, factors that improve google's ranking include:

• good quality code e.g. standards compliant like xthml strict
  • all pages with good metadata (keywords/page titles) etc.
  • all images described with alt tags
  • adding and submitting sitemaps and a good robots.txt file
  • etc. etc.

Just good coding practice and web design practice really. Maybe the definition of SEO needs nailing down a tad?

Someone recently deliberately gave bad service so their name would show up first in searches.

Google updated their algorithms accordingly. You could say something like "of course, giving deliberately bad service doesn't work anymore...".

Someone recently deliberately gave bad service so their name would show up first in searches.

Google updated their algorithms accordingly. You could say something like "of course, giving deliberately bad service doesn't work anymore...".

There's some research about why negative branding isn't always bad.

A few things to think about:

There has been lots in the technical press lately about how Google is losing out in the battle against the spam.

Some are saying that the idea of using links to rank popularity has had it's day when you have stuff like Twitter and Facebook like buttons given you a human powered view of what is relevant and important.

Local and mobile are hot issues in SEO.

Local businesses are slowly trying to do a bit more with their websites and using tools such a Google places.

Mobile gives you the potential to serve up locally tailored results and offers in the search results.

I am making use of an idea called scalable content generation. That's looking at ways to automatically create good quality long tail content using freelancers, other non spammy tools, or user generated content.

Think about 'the long tail' of keywords and the benefits of going after that rather than the obvious keywords.

Maybe learn a little about pay per click and Adwords etc, the advantages and disadvantages over organic, how to measure a campaign (CTR/CPC etc).

A few things to think about:

There has been lots in the technical press lately about how Google is losing out in the battle against the spam.

Some are saying that the idea of using links to rank popularity has had it's day when you have stuff like Twitter and Facebook like buttons given you a human powered view of what is relevant and important.

Local and mobile are hot issues in SEO.

Local businesses are slowly trying to do a bit more with their websites and using tools such a Google places.

Mobile gives you the potential to serve up locally tailored results and offers in the search results.

I am making use of an idea called scalable content generation. That's looking at ways to automatically create good quality long tail content using freelancers, other non spammy tools, or user generated content.

Think about 'the long tail' of keywords and the benefits of going after that rather than the obvious keywords.

Maybe learn a little about pay per click and Adwords etc, the advantages and disadvantages over organic, how to measure a campaign (CTR/CPC etc).

1) Yes spam is winning at the moment. The problem is that people worked out the algorithm and its taking google a while to fix it (if they want to).

I don't however think twitter or facebook likes will give you anything like page 1 on a google search.

2) Agreed

3) You could argue that its the long tail that got myvouchercodes to the top of the pile. It does seem to be the area that a couple of experts within the affiliate and SEO field are targeting their attacks on.

4) If you are looking at Adwords and similar you are starting to look at return on investment rather than SEO. If you are doing then running multi-variant testing on the website to improve conversion ratios becomes important. Spend 5 minutes looking at the blog on http://www.conversion-rate-experts.com/ to give you some confidence there.

Yes, it is all about link building and track-backs nowadays plus tools - such as wordpress - which put urls into plain english and which maintain them so that they can be archived and found months or years later.

I've attained pagerankings on the 1st page of results for the websites I've developed for relevant on topic searches. And I agree that good quality content is king as far as ranking highly is concerned.

However, factors that improve google's ranking include:

• good quality code e.g. standards compliant like xthml strict
  • all pages with good metadata (keywords/page titles) etc.
  • all images described with alt tags
  • adding and submitting sitemaps and a good robots.txt file
  • etc. etc.

Just good coding practice and web design practice really. Maybe the definition of SEO needs nailing down a tad?

Sure, on the one hand there's basic web design, and on the other hand doing well in relevant google searches. A competent web designer will do both, up to a point where any *further* hacking for search engines crosses the line into spam.

What you describe is (with the benefit of the doubt over some ambiguity) no more than competent web design.

So how do you guys explain one of my customers websites. Its nothing special, just a simple A4 webpage with 2 links, one to my site which I've taken down for now and one to icra.

Google mild steel stockholders and the 3rd one down which says they are based in in WGC but are in fact in Letchworth is my customer. Initials are C&W.

It's surprising but page title and domain name still seem to punch above their weight considering all of the science that must be in Google rankings.

You have an exact phrase match in the page title there for a fairly long tail phrase.

I think a lot of the companies who buy SEO and link building actually end up doing themselves a dis-service. They get spammy links from bad neighbourhoods which just indicates to Google that they have been building links rather than concentrating on their own content and natural links.

I have a site similar to this one. Simple, genuine, aged, which has picked up a handful of genuine organic links from other relevant sites. It trounces my competitors sites which are all heavily SEO'd.

It works for other sites as well that come up on the first page of google. "Devon Removals" puts my uncles business in at no 4. and exeter removals puts him in at no1.

North Devon Removals (places 3 and 4) or South Devon Removals (place 5, fourth distinct site)? Or Rose Removals (the only Devon Removals site to say Exeter) at number 7?

All relevant sites to the search term, of course.

Thats his site, so if you see the site in a different position to what I see, then that would confirm a suspicion I have that google serves are becoming individual now.

Yup you need to not be logged in to google or use. A clean browser to see real results ... Which of course means everyone sees different

How is it subverting Google?

What is the sequence of events here.

Person 1 offers space for a link.

Person 2 accepts.

Process ends here.

Google then barges in, totally uninvited, scrapes Person 1's content with or without their permission and/or knowledge.

Since the algorithm is flawed they index irrelevant links.

Instead of admitting their algorithm is flawed, they whine about spammers.

It's like those burglers that break into houses and then sue the occupier because they injured themselves while carrying out their TV.

I think a lot of the companies who buy SEO and link building actually end up doing themselves a dis-service. They get spammy links from bad neighbourhoods which just indicates to Google that they have been building links rather than concentrating on their own content and natural links.

If that were true, you could take your competitors URL and spam them to bad neighbourhoods all day long.

If that were true, you could take your competitors URL and spam them to bad neighbourhoods all day long.

People do. Its why spam is such a problem nowadays as to solve this problem google changed the algorithm and no one currently knows what links have value and what ones don't.

What you need to do is find a successful site (across a lot of keywords) and see what it does both on its site and on the links to that site. As I mentioned earlier Myvouchercodes is a decent start point to work from.

The current hot fashion in SEO is Video.

Video optimisation is fairly significantly different from traditional Seo in that you need to submit a Video sitemap via Google webmaster tools, you also need a robots.txt for each video embedded page and a bunch of other things.

Memorise the content of this link, lots of nice facts and soundbites, they'll think you're a genius:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/10/video-seo-top-google-search/

...except that Google weights the results to favour the advertisers that pay Google the most. Which has little relevance to the utility of the link from the user's point of view.

Considering the obiquity of Google, a near -monopoly of search engine advertising, I see no reason why any commercial organisation should surrender it's fame and online efficacy to the Google monopoly. SEO is part of the game. If Google can't filter out spam, it merely shows that the Google system of evaluation is flawed.

Google presumably charges advertisers on the basis that it delivers relevant users to relevant websites. It's up to Google deliver on that promise, not for their advertiser's competitors to roll over and be kicked.