House Price Crash Forum
Timm

Rics - 39% (Up From - 44%)

BBC article is a bit light on stats, here's a more detailed post:

LONDON, Jan 18 (Reuters) - House prices in England and Wales fell in December, but fewer new houses coming on to the market helped the pace of decline to moderate for a second consecutive month, a survey indicated on Tuesday.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors' seasonally adjusted house price balance nudged up to -39 from -44 in November (Berlin: NBXB.BE - news) , improving more than the consensus forecast of -42.

The index hit an 18-month low of -49 in October, though still well above levels of -80 that were common in the second half of 2008.

New buyer enquiries fell in December, but at a slower pace than November. New vendor instructions declined at a faster pace, however, with the net balance falling from -4 to -14, its lowest level since May 2009.

Looking forward, 29 percent more surveyors thought prices would fall in the next three months than rise, down from 41 percent in November.

Heavy snowfall in December kept transaction volumes subdued but surveyors were hopeful turnover would pick up in the spring. Eight percent more surveyors expected sales to increase over the coming three months than decrease, up from six percent in November.

"Surveyor sentiment does appear more positive for the coming months," said RICS spokesman Jeremy Leaf.

"The key issue now is mortgage finance. However, with commentators suggesting lending constraints are unlikely to be eased, it is hard to envisage a meaningful increase in sales levels in the near term."

Record (LSE: REC.L - news) low interest rates and a dearth of supply helped British house prices stage a dramatic recovery in the second half of 2009, but prices began to weaken again in the second half of 2010. (Reporting by Christina Fincher; Editing by Toby Chopra)

Edited by exiges

What with Rightmove, RICS and the Nationwide consumer confidence survey all being up:

I hereby declare this BullWeek 2011.

Surpisingly negative article for the BBC though, a bit different to the express, lol!!

Anyway, it's -39 still, it's going in the right direction!

I think thats from -44 though making it the wrong direction.

What with Rightmove, RICS and the Nationwide consumer confidence survey all being up:

I hereby declare this BullWeek 2011.

The "unexpectedly" good news for HPI has sent Sterling soaring also. Yesterday's debt clock ticking past the Trillion mark also helped boost sterling as the more debt we accrue the harder it is to fail. We are still on the same track laid down by Brown.

That said, IR will probably rise soon and this, together with job losses, should avoid a spring bounce. In my area, the number of properties coming to market is growing so I am not sure about the "shortage" being reported. The problem is lack of DEMAND due to high prices and fading liar loan availability.

The "unexpectedly" good news for HPI has sent Sterling soaring also. Yesterday's debt clock ticking past the Trillion mark also helped boost sterling as the more debt we accrue the harder it is to fail. We are still on the same track laid down by Brown.

That said, IR will probably rise soon and this, together with job losses, should avoid a spring bounce. In my area, the number of properties coming to market is growing so I am not sure about the "shortage" being reported. The problem is lack of DEMAND due to high prices and fading liar loan availability.

There is no shortage! According to rightmove there is nearly 9% more properties on the Market this December than last and it's back on the up again now it's January. In my area the is similar number of properties available now as there was in summer last year!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-18/u-k-housing-gauge-stays-close-to-18-month-low-on-cold-weather.html

Housing Measure Stays Close to 18-Month Trough on Cold Weather, RICS Says
A U.K. housing-market gauge stayed close to an 18-month low in December as cold weather saw demand for homes wane and fewer people put their properties on the market, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said.

I like the way Bloomberg look at things. Glass half empty when it is anything to do with our grossly overpriced crap housing market.

Do you keep the historical numbers Pent Up?

Could you post them through 2010 if so?

Only back to March 2010 and a wider sample from July.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=150943&st=0

I'll post up to date charts when I get a chance. It's shown a big seasonal slowdown since then but looks like we are starting 2011 from a high point, certainly much higher than 2010.

Obviously this data is only representative if the towns which it covers and the story may be completely different in other areas

BBC: Snow 'caused slow housing market'

That's simply a lie. I know people who wanted to buy a house and still managed even in the snow.

Buying a house is different than buying a bottle of milk. You don't just wake up and say: 'mmmm... maybe I'll buy a house today... oh, no it's snowing, I'll better stay in bed then...'