House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reraise

Contemporary Comedy

Contemporary comedy is weak in my opinion. Most of the rising stars are too similar. Any political views expressed are left wing and too PC. Where are the straight talking "don't give a ******" comedians of days gone by? It's not even the political bias that bothers me, it's that none of them have any balls. I loved bill hicks as a comedian even though I didn't agree with most of his views, I just enjoyed the fact that he spoke his mind, talked about things he believed in, and was very funny. Is it just me or does anyone else agree?

Contemporary comedy is weak in my opinion. Most of the rising stars are too similar. Any political views expressed are left wing and too PC. Where are the straight talking "don't give a ******" comedians of days gone by? It's not even the political bias that bothers me, it's that none of them have any balls. I loved bill hicks as a comedian even though I didn't agree with most of his views, I just enjoyed the fact that he spoke his mind, talked about things he believed in, and was very funny. Is it just me or does anyone else agree?

Stewart Lee.

I think you raise an interesting point - comedy is usually borne of the outsider mindset - standing back and poking fun at the 'mainstream'. Given the fashionable view now held that the right wing is now the alternative and the mass media is left wing, then surely we should be seeing a rash of right wing comedians?

Stewart Lee.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/stewart-lee-a-funny-thing-happened-to-comedy-2145510.html

The vast amount of mainstream comedians are left-wing...the alternative circuit in the 80s sprung up to combat the so called right wing ones in the seventies......The only ones I can think of that isn't apart from Jim Davidson, is Harry Hill, and possibly Chubby Brown...

Seconded Frankie Boyle and Stewart Lee.

Lee Mack? Kevin Bridges?

I think Frankie Boyle just goes out to see how many ppl he can offend...I really liked him on Mock the Week...Tramadol Nights was very disappointing...most of it was about onanism....the Time Travelling Machine powered by onanism was fairly funny though...I'm sure he's capable of better, but he's taken the easy way out....

Totally agree shipbuilder, left wing is mainstream, I hope we do see some outspoken right wing types, although I doubt they'd get many bookings on the comedy circuit or ever make it to tv. Even someone with some balls would do.

I'm not a frankie Boyle fan because I think he's a bit of a one trick pony, it's just sick joke after sick joke and most if them aren't even funny.

Stewart Lee is funny, but totally mainstream media left/liberal in his views.

Doug Stanhope is about the only really 'edgy' comedian I know; but I still get the sense he's got a lefty streak in him. Sort of extreme left wing libertarianism. It was very funny seeing him pelted with bottles when he came out with the line something like 'ladies your wombs are the world's biggest pollutant'.

Frankie Boyle is shit. He walked out of our christmas do after 70 seconds because people let off balloons, taking several thousand pounds with him. I thought Scottish comedians were supposed to be nails. He hasn't got an act anyway, he's just a stream of supposedly offensive jokes.

Ricky Gervais has made some very funny remarks to the Hollywood elite.

However, he clearly yearns to be part of it as he keeps making movies in that town.

I suspect that he'd have a sense of humour about it though if someone made fun of him.

"No, that's a good one, that's a North American one - give em the Comedy Award"

Gold.

I don't see the problem with all this Golden Globe. If you're worried that you might offend a bunch of over-senstive, over-hyped actors, then do NOT invite Ricky Gervais to be your compere. Invite Lenny Henry where you're almost guaranteed both nothing offensive nor funny.

He'd done it before, so they knew what they were getting - youtube golden globes 2010.

What I admire about it is that if he gets shunned by Hollywood at least he told it like it was and he "fails" on his own terms. I love the "imagine a world without actors" stuff. Wonder how many got the irony?

Where are the straight talking "don't give a ******" comedians of days gone by?

Frankie Boyle (as mentioned) and Doug Stanhope. Although Frankie has gone off the boil (no pun intended) since he left MTW.

comedy is usually borne of the outsider mindset

Modern comedy perhaps. Watch an episode of The Comedians (1970s) or Wheeltappers and Shunters and see if you think that's the always been the case. "I saw my mother-in-law today...." etc.

"Edgy" comedy didn't really surface until the late 1960s IMO, and then mainly in America. Look at the early Richard Prior stuff. He's wearing a suit and tie for goodness sake. Look how Lenny Bruce was persecuted in the early 60s.

As for modern comedians I wouldn't call the likes of Michael Macintyre or John Bishop outsiders.

George Carlin.

Now deceased.

Doug Stanhope is the closest that I can think of to Carlin or Bill Hicks in his choice of subject matter, but to be fair to him, he's not trying to be Bruce, Carlin or Hicks.

Now deceased.

Doug Stanhope is the closest that I can think of to Carlin or Bill Hicks in his choice of subject matter, but to be fair to him, he's not trying to be Bruce, Carlin or Hicks.

Carlins stuff is still very relevent in todays world, although with the above, you'll struggle to book him for a gig.

Agree that Stanhope falls into that catagory of comics who just do not give a shit and tell it how it is. The difference is he will not only do it about the political establishment, he will happily also do it about abortion and why women don't have enough holes. (Not connected).