House Price Crash Forum

Should We Make Local Councils Collect Rubbish Every Week....

HOLA441

I'm starting a campaign to force local authorities by law to collect household refuse every week. If this means abandoning separate recycling collections, so be it. Would you prefer to have a fortnightly general rubbish collection plus separate recycling collection OR put all rubbish in one wheelie bin and have emptied every week? See poll.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'd prefer to have weekly (at least food) recycling collections regardless of the others because:

- Putting the food all in one small sealable container keeps the usual rubbish bin from stinking and being attacked by flies,foxes etc if outdoors

- A small container for the food is easier to clean than a large bin especially if lined with biodegradable bags.

- Even then, the food can get fairy rank (mouldy, etc) after a few days so I'd want it out weekly.

The rest of the stuff doesn't smell so I'm not so bothered about that.

HOLA444

Interested in your reasoning on this. Councils are being incourgaed to recycle more by fining them for landfilling too much, and sorting all waste and not just recycled waste would cost alot. Meaning your council tax would rise.

As most councils use a private company to collect waste they should remove waste from that and every person pays the waste company direct per kg they landfill and just a flat collection rate for the recycling (as that can be sold on).

We need to recycle more. Landfilling is getting expensive due to the price of oil/labour/materials going up and its only going to get more expensive and its going to be all of us that pays.

The manufacturers of foods/goods need to reduce their non recyclable packaging as well.

HOLA445

I'm starting a campaign to force local authorities by law to collect household refuse every week. If this means abandoning separate recycling collections, so be it. Would you prefer to have a fortnightly general rubbish collection plus separate recycling collection OR put all rubbish in one wheelie bin and have emptied every week? See poll.

Why one or the other?

When I lived in West Norfolk we had a weekly rubbish collection and fortnightly recyclables collection - worked very well all round.

Perhaps you should do another poll - vote yes or no if you want a landfill site or incinerator 500 metres from your house?

HOLA446

I'm curious as to why you think this is an either or thing?

My comment too!

I'm not against "recycling" if that is what is actually what is happening, but I do like the bin emptied weekly! :huh:

HOLA447

My comment too!

I'm not against "recycling" if that is what is actually what is happening, but I do like the bin emptied weekly! :huh:

And that it actually saves resources, which I'm not convinced about when I see an enormous truck belching diesel fumes as it stops every few yards to let some blokes get out and pick up bits of cardboard and a wine bottle.

Archived