House Price Crash Forum
bubble

F**** Landlords

Okay need some help here - just agreed with agent new rental starting October - went at the weekend and stumped up £250 holding deposit - get a call this morning saying landlord wants more money on reflection (i.e. he's had another offer over the w/e!). Anyone know whether he's allowed to back out now that I have got a holding deposit receipt - quite frightening cos this could have happened much closer to my move in time and left us homeless!! Bubble...

Okay need some help here - just agreed with agent new rental starting October - went at the weekend and stumped up £250 holding deposit - get a call this morning saying landlord wants more money on reflection (i.e. he's had another offer over the w/e!). Anyone know whether he's allowed to back out now that I have got a holding deposit receipt - quite frightening cos this could have happened much closer to my move in time and left us homeless!! Bubble...

I don't know what the legal position is but I would ask for my deposit back and look elsewhere (irrespective of what he offers now). You really should not rent from cheating scum like him.

do what i always do.

stump up whatever deposit he asks for and then i dont pay te last 3 months rent,

i also do it on a point of principal.

i currently owe my landlord about 4 months rent and i am leaving soon.

funnily enough he is quite ok about the whole thing as i share the property with him.

he reckons hes got 8,000 out of me towards the mortgage so shy should he complain ?

indeed,

I don't know what the legal position is but I would ask for my deposit back and look elsewhere (irrespective of what he offers now). You really should not rent from cheating scum like him.

Get the deposit back is a certainty, but I also believe he should hold to his end of the bargin - he's just being greedy. If a trajedy had happened which forced him to change his position, I'd be more accommodating, but why should I when it's simply a matter of someone offering more?

I would ask him what the other person has offered and then offer a little bit more....then pull out at the last minute ( I am feeling wicked this morning :P

I once handed over a holding deposit; when I read the contract it said that they could withdraw from the deal at any time. It had ABSOLUTELY no effect in law. In that case it was there merely to signal to the EA that there was someone with real cash interested in the flat.

Be interesting to see legal definition of a holding deposit. If it didn't in fact hold the place, then surely this is fraud on the landlord's / agent's part? Ask the agent what their position is, what the holding deposit was for, etc. Does this also mean they showed someone else around the place after you'd placed the holding deposit?

I'm assuming you've paid the agent fees as well? I'd look at getting these back too.

/G

You really should not rent from cheating scum like him.
do what i always do.

stump up whatever deposit he asks for and then i dont pay te last 3 months rent,

i currently owe my landlord about 4 months rent and i am leaving soon.

Seems like landlords aren't the only cheating scum...

Seems like landlords aren't the only cheating scum...

oooohh

So the fact that ive been paying the interest on HIS loan for HIS HOUSE for 3 years is not a factor in the whole equation ?

I am merely clawing back some of the interest payments I have made on his behalf on his 100,000 mortgage,

If you have signed a tenancy agreement then I am guessing the contract is now in force and the landlord cannot change the price although the agreement will probably allow the price to be changed later with X month's notice.

If you have not signed a tenancy agreement and just paid a deposit so there is no written contract yet, I could not say if in legal terms you have an entitlement to rent at the earlier price.

Either way, I'd pull out.

oooohh 

So the fact that ive been paying the interest on HIS loan for HIS HOUSE for 3 years is not a factor in the whole equation ?

I am merely clawing back some of the interest payments I have made on his behalf on his 100,000 mortgage,

Not true - you've been paying him in exchange for accommodation, simple as that. How he spends the money, towards mortgage, holiday, or even groceries from Tesco etc, is not the issue.

Why not just pay him the extra money? What's the big deal?

And while you're at it, remember that "F**** Landlords" are providing you a service which I assume you need, why the need for such labels?

it does, i refuse to be cowed , initimidated or riped off by landlords.

if there were a few more like me perhaps this country wouldnt be in complete hock to the banks, slum-landlords and other assorted parasites,

Personally I think it says you're a thief with few morals:(

it does, i refuse to be cowed , initimidated or riped off by landlords.

if there were a few more like me perhaps this country wouldnt be in complete hock to the banks, slum-landlords and other assorted parasites,

If there was a few more like you, id make sure i moved as far away from this country as possible.

Idiot.

...or be honest!

BUT I am being honest . my LL is about 10 feet away from me fixing the bathroom,

if he was so incensed hed have had me evicted months ago,

he has made over 8000 out of the deal which is not bad at all.

he could have had 9200 if i was fully paid up but i am not.

cest la vie.,

he owes the bank 100,000 pounds not me.

why should i pay the interest on HIS LOAN ?

Personally I think it says you're a thief with few morals:(

owing rent does not make me a thief, i have not paid it because i cannot afford it.

are people in mortgage arrears thiefs because they owe the banks money ?

My landlord is a millionaire and I have 500 pounds in the bank.

who is the thief ?

i bet you support the war in Iraq too.

do what i always do.

Sounds to me like you're back tracking on your original post!!

Principal? What principals!!

Sounds to me like you're back tracking on your original post!!

Principal?  What principals!!

yes i do it on principals and also because i have very little choice.

if i have 500 pounds in the bank and my landlords are rich - which they usually are - why should i push myself further into poverty by paying ever last penny of rent they think they are owed ?

what they think the rent is worth is merely an opinion like wha they think the house is worth.

i consent to agree with that opinion when i move in and then revise it afterwards.

if the landlord is unhappy with my revised opinion of what the rent is worth he has the simple option of evicting me.

the reason he doesnt is i always pay him some money.

its not as if i havent paid the rent for 4 months- that would be foolsih and criminal - its just that i take a rent holiday once a week on average every 8 weeks.

this allows me to afford myself some luxuries like a phone line that i would not otherwise be able to afford.

i never go more than 3 weeks without paying him some rent.

Edited by privatefraser

owing rent does not make me a thief, i have not paid it because i cannot afford it.

To quote you earlier:

do what i always do. stump up whatever deposit he asks for and then i dont pay te last 3 months rent,

Seems more like a policy than an unfortunate event. You are able to secure rental contracts because other people do stick to the contracts they sign up to. The payers subsidise the non-payers, like fare evasion.

Your non-payment is intentional so a form of theft (although not criminal) and helps drive up the total cost of rent for all honest tenants (the added risk of a non-paying tenant would mean that this needs to be factored into rental prices, just as those with poor credit ratings need to pay higher rates of interest).

I will have to confess that in the past I have not paid my last month's rent, leaving the deposit to take care of that and so have also broken the terms of my contract.

To quote you earlier:

Seems more like a policy than an unfortunate event. You are able to secure rental contracts because other people do stick to the contracts they sign up to. The payers subsidise the non-payers, like fare evasion.

what utter nonsense.

I simply allow myself a rent holiday one week in every 8 as policy.

Many tenants do the same thing.

How does that affect the thought processes of the other tenant in the flat (i believe she owes 2 months rent and is playing the same game as me ).

How does it affect the behaviour of any other tenant on the planet.

People are free to choose their own path of action undeterred by the fact I owe

4 months rent on a room in flat in Macdonald Road in Arnos Grove.

please explain this incredible blimpish reasoning.

Edited by privatefraser