House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
repetitive bleats

Commercial Property Tenancy

This forum always seems to have people who know their way around legal rights. I've run this past the FSB who were pretty useless tbh and wondered if anyone here has an insight that might be useful...

As a commercial tenant we have to pay for any work that the Landlord needs doing on the property. Our commercial Landlord sent us a bill for just under ten grand at the start of last year for work which they said was necessary. At this point they had nobody quote on a job but said that they thought the work would be about that amount.

We told them that we wanted to see competitive quotes before we pay up. In October (10 months later) they finally got a builder in and had him do the work and then told us to pay up the ten grand. We asked why they never got a competitive quote and they said that the builder said he would only quote if they guaranteed him the job (it needed preliminary inspection which was apparently a bit of work).

The landlord is getting all chippy that we still haven't paid and i've told him that at the very least i want to see a quote with enough detail that i can get a second opinion. All he has is an email from the builder to the landlord that is vague at best - including stuff like 'i think we discussed Lead capping which would be about £3k'. Obviously there is no way i can get a second opinion on this. I realise that I should consult proper legal advice but wondered if anyone one here had a view on it and whether its worth talking to a lawyer or whether things are stacked so much in a Landlords favour that i might as well just hand him a blank cheque every year.

Any thoughts?

Edited by majestic whine

This forum always seems to have people who know their way around legal rights. I've run this past the FSB who were pretty useless tbh and wondered if anyone here has an insight that might be useful...

As a commercial tenant we have to pay for any work that the Landlord needs doing on the property. Our commercial Landlord sent us a bill for just under ten grand at the start of last year for work which they said was necessary. At this point they had nobody quote on a job but said that they thought the work would be about that amount.

We told them that we wanted to see competitive quotes before we pay up. In October (10 months later) they finally got a builder in and had him do the work and then told us to pay up the ten grand. We asked why they never got a competitive quote and they said that the builder said he would only quote if they guaranteed him the job (it needed preliminary inspection which was apparently a bit of work).

The landlord is getting all chippy that we still haven't paid and i've told him that at the very least i want to see a quote with enough detail that i can get a second opinion. All he has is an email from the builder to the landlord that is vague at best - including stuff like 'i think we discussed Lead capping which would be about £3k'. Obviously there is no way i can get a second opinion on this. I realise that I should consult proper legal advice but wondered if anyone one here had a view on it and whether its worth talking to a lawyer or whether things are stacked so much in a Landlords favour that i might as well just hand him a blank cheque every year.

Any thoughts?

Well, if it is a full repairing lease, you should have had a survey done as to the condition, so you could not be conned later. It can still be done for future of course. The terms of a Lease may vary and many will have the LL arranging the building works. But it does have to be reasonable and necessary. Now it's already done it's much harder to say what was actually needed. Best to make friends with your surveyor, so in futur they can briefly attend and advise what should be carried out and likely cost. Of course the LL should have got quotes and shown them to you and obtained your agreement. Probably find any decent lease will say that in the absence of agreement there is a procedure. So see if any procedure was followed. If none there, ask your lawyer what the general law has to say in your case.

Well, if it is a full repairing lease, you should have had a survey done as to the condition, so you could not be conned later. It can still be done for future of course. The terms of a Lease may vary and many will have the LL arranging the building works. But it does have to be reasonable and necessary. Now it's already done it's much harder to say what was actually needed. Best to make friends with your surveyor, so in futur they can briefly attend and advise what should be carried out and likely cost. Of course the LL should have got quotes and shown them to you and obtained your agreement. Probably find any decent lease will say that in the absence of agreement there is a procedure. So see if any procedure was followed. If none there, ask your lawyer what the general law has to say in your case.

cheers. we specifically asked that the Landlord get 3 competitive quotes as the job was on top of a 3 story roof where access needs to be gained via an other tenant (a major supermarket chain) - in the event he just told us he couldnt get a quote as it required 'investigation' and the supplier would only investigate on the basis he got the job. as i say i've asked for the builders quote and it is vague at best - so there is no way we can get it double checked. what really gets my goat is the blase attitude, at first to insisting we pay up last Jan and then threatening me with legal action when i refused to pay up until a survey had been done and an actual quote made. And now saying - we had the work done - it cost as much as we thought it was going to - we didnt get any competitive quotes done - we don't even have a detailed quote. but pay up or we will take you to court!