House Price Crash Forum
Democorruptcy

Barclays New Tv Advert About Switching Mortgages

A couple going downhill on a railway track cart (see attached picture) it says they are on a tracker mortgage. After passing the bottom of the hill they are struggling going uphill and working hard pumping the cart handles. It says if they are struggling they can just switch from the tracker to a fixed rate mortgage.

The implication is that they wouldn't then be struggling with a higher rate.

The reality is that if the tracker rate has increased, so will the base rate and obviously this would mean fixed rates have also increased. In fact as fixed rates are generally higher than trackers, they would be struggling even more if they had to switch.

The advert is a complete con.

Edit to add Barclays link

http://group.barclays.com/Media-Centre/Barclays-news/NewsArticle/1231785285128.html

Edited by Redhat Sly

Dave says we need to move on from attacking the bankers.

They're the future for Dave's rebalanced UK economy.

We need to get behind Barclays, buy their products and make sure Bob gets his millions in bonuses.

I think so, I also saw this yesterday and thought it was misleading how they implied the fixed rate would be easier to service when in fact history shows they are more expensive.

Can't stand the 'trendy' ironic voiceover from Stephen Merchant either

Is that a squirrel? advert ends small print comes on...why was there a squirrel? blatant advertising distraction con!

I believe it was an attempt at humour.

I laughed at that advert and thought nobody would be stupid enough to think that the bank will give you an "easier" mortgage when rates start to rise.

Then I remembered, that 95% of people taking out mortgages don't understand the most basic financial terms.

I laughed at that advert and thought nobody would be stupid enough to think that the bank will give you an "easier" mortgage when rates start to rise.

Then I remembered, that 95% of people taking out mortgages don't understand the most basic financial terms.

For some people it will be easier - they'll just go from having 9 years remaining on the mortgage to 25 ! :lol:

Another amazing INNOVATION from our super bankersters.

Crafted from the finest laser particles on copier paper, this transfer product allows the seamless moulding of a conduit from one paper agreement to an identical one with a different figure in the lovingly fashioned interest rate box.

Delivered in a superb A4 windowed envelope by Her Majesties Postal Service, this amazing opportunity is a once in a lifetime chance.

Call our dedicated Indian Sales Executives and the fee for this unique product can be moved painlessly onto the new agreement.

For some people it will be easier - they'll just go from having 9 years remaining on the mortgage to 25 ! :lol:

You could well be right there. Switch to a fixed rate mortgage but extend the term to make the payments drop down a little each month. Mortgage is a pledge until death?

Squirrels are thrifty. Subliminal you see.

why do they swim on their backs?

It also implies that Barclays know there's an imminent move upwards in base rates and likely not limited to just 0.25% - or are just trying to frighten people into more expensive fixed rate mortgages.

After all "the time for remorse is over" so back to ripping off the public.

Edited by billybong

I thought....'Train Crash'..when I saw the advert.

(Fortunately, research shows that people are not influenced by scenes of violence or sex on the telly - so I guess this means that adverts have no influence either)

I believe it was an attempt at humour.

There's a squirrel in the freeview hd ad too.

Must be some in-joke this year for ad makers to see how many squirrels they can get on tv.

There's a squirrel in the freeview hd ad too.

Must be some in-joke this year for ad makers to see how many squirrels they can get on tv.

Jeremy Clarkson book add (before xmas) has a Squirrel as well,

interesting