House Price Crash Forum
Catch22

An Str'er Bites Back

Quotes from the "Are There Any Ftb's On This Website?"

Buffer Bear

"Me2 and I don't like being lumped together with STR's"

What actually is your beef ?

Converted Lurker

"Shoot me down if you think I`m being cheeky here, but do you think a firstrung forum would work?"

Great idea, a novices guide to being a novice

mescalinemonkey

"maybe we could get a thing by our avatars that says FTB / STR / BTL etc"

And what would that signify?

FTB = Pure

STR = Tainted

BTL = Evil

Right, I do feel an undercurrent of resentment from some wannabe FTB’ers. So I’m giving them a chance to explain what it is they see as “unclean” about us STR'ers

Vent your splines here :rolleyes:

As an inadvertant STRer I think there is a difference in attitude between STRs and FTBs. There have been a few smug comments from STRers over the years along the lines of "I have liquid assets so I'm OK" which must be fairly annoying to someone trying to save a deposit, pay off student debts and seeing house prices continuously rise (until recently). I haven't bought because I don't want to - not because I can't; this housing bubble must be much more frustrating for FTBs who fall into the latter category

:huh:

I have no problem with anybody making money from the property market.

Even BTLs, STRs or Flippers. All are OK in my books.

I don't think recent BTLs have a good strategy and Flipping property is getting increasingly risky as an occupation. I guess some FTBs may resent STRs as they seem to have a good strategy for making money out of the property market right now.

I'm a potential FTber, but I just keep an eye on things.... I have no beef with anybody whatever they do. Don't let a few mental case FTBs put you off from your STR.

You STR'd because you thought the market would fall. You are looking after no.1, and possibly your family's interests.... what do you think they would do in the same position??

Spot on XYZ! I think the point the dude was raising (and i do not want to put words in his mouth here) is that the STR and the FTB are coming at this from totally differing circumstances. A typical STR on here seems to have upwards of 200K burning a hole in their pocket and are choosing not to buy whereas a typical FTB have OK burning a hole in their pocket and simply cannot buy at the moment. The Dude was simply stating that he, as a FTB can only listen to what other FTBers are saying.

Also, and this is just a persoanl opinion, there maybe an element of envy...hey I admit it I am bloody jealous!! I wish I had a 200K deposit earning me interest every month! The thing is that I don't blame the STRers at all, I suppose we just think that they shouldnt have been able to make such an obscene profit from what is, at the end of the day, a basic human need.

Just my thoughts...sorry

Scotty

I admire STRS because they have the kind of cajones that I dont think I would have.

If people have a probelm with them it is probably out of jealousy for having the insight and bravery to change their lifestyles on the basis of the house-market.

STR is just another symptom of the malaise.

Of course if you inflate the money supply by making lending evermore detached from realistic ability to pay, not to mention almost encouraging fraud by refusing to crack down on lie to buy you are going to get the situation where someone's house appears to have become a lottery win - all you need to do is sell.

Now under normal circumstances, I'd hope houses are not allowed to boom to the extent that someone could actually be arsed to cash in by offloading their house via the financial blunder of some poor clueless bleeder.

From my perspective, jealousy does not come into it and may I restate that not being able to afford to buy a home is at the opposite end of the spectrum to the STR. Surely being a FTB who cannot afford to buy is very different to a STR, selling in the belief that prices will correct and then buying back in? The difference really is very simple and does not need to be made into anything more than that. I do not think that my comments should be viewed as controversial.

Well I don't understand any of that ..... gees I must get back to counting the money, and not forget to nip in the dry cleaners to pick my 'captain cash' outfit :P

There have been a few smug comments from STRers over the years along the lines of "I have liquid assets so I'm OK"

Well you and bott seem to be lacking somewhat, in that you choose to label a whole grouping of individuals based on "a few smug comments" which I dare say are not attributed to any present forum members. :rolleyes:

If you are unaware of the difference, I shan't be explaining.

Refusing to answer a question I didn’t even ask ……how novel :D

I admire STRS because they have the kind of cajones that I dont think I would have.

If people have a probelm with them it is probably out of jealousy for having the insight and bravery to change their lifestyles on the basis of the house-market.

Very astute observations whistle.gif DonnieDarker your well balanced and will fail to let emotions like jealousy cloud you judgement when it comes to the biggest investment your likely to make in your lifetime.

From my perspective, jealousy does not come into it
really
and may I restate that not being able to afford to buy a home is at the opposite end of the spectrum to the STR.  Surely being a FTB who cannot afford to buy is very different to a STR, selling in the belief that prices will correct and then buying back in?  The difference really is very simple and does not need to be made into anything more than that. I do not think that my comments should be viewed as controversial.

Ah so you had a change of heart and decide to answer the question I never asked in the first place. Hmmmmmmmmm did you know jealousy has a habit of eating you up from the inside. :P but I'm not bitter :ph34r:

Just abit of misdirected anger i think.

Cabin fever

You could be rigth there....the Chuz :unsure:

OK fun over with

Look if I had been “Long” the FTSE Index for several years and then believed it to be “Overbought” and so decided to “Short” it, would you have a problem with that ? No I didn't think so.

So how come some people have a problem with STR’rs doing exactly that with what most probably is the biggest investment asset they hold.

They had in all probability a house they where very happy in, but they are not letting their heart rule their financial head. They have put their money where their mouth is, now how open and honest is that?

Somebody else implyed on this very thread that STR'ers swindel people by selling their houses to fiscally incompitent buyers....the mind boggles at the muddled logic used that such statement testifies to.

I told my buyer [first day on the market, first and last guy through the door] in simple language we were selling because I believed the market had topped. He agree it was "toppy" but he needed that extra bedroom and my house gave him a "cusion" against the market [ it was priced 12% below a stalled overvalued market] I robbed nobody. Not that I need to explain myself to anybody, I'm just trying to prove the point there is a lot of emotional garbage being spoken by people who have yet to learn the first thing about the housing market.

And lets not have any of this “bleeding hearts” stuff about houses should not be a vehicle for investment, because in the real world they are, so learn to live with it. I'm not saying its right, I’m only say thats what property is in the real world. If you cannot handle it, go play with the fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Would you like the STR’s to go a way…..further fueling this housing market your all itching to get into....................................well would you?

Would anybody disagree that FTB’ers are recognized as the “engine” that drives the housing market?

If that is indeed the case then some may say if it was not for the emotionally ham strung novice FTB’ers being prepared to pay silly money in the first place. Any amount times by any number in thousands that some money lender is prepared to lend them……then maybe the market would not be were it is to day.

I dare say some would proffer the observation, are the “have it all today pay later” generation blaming the “fiscally prudent generation” for a world of their own making.

Point your guns towards the Money Lenders and the Government they are your real enemy.

PS: My own circumstances are, I'm approaching that time of life when you downsize. Its financialy prudent, for obvious reasons to down size at the top of the price cycle. Do I wait possibly another 15 years for the next market top, or do I go to rent and re enter when the correction brings prices down. That way I'll be less of a burden on you young tax payers later on in life.

Anybody who says they would do it differently given the same choices [and the balls to do it] are one of three things: either very well heeled, fiscally ignorant, or just plain hypocritical...IMHO

Oh and if you were detemined to be inward looking in that you would only deem fellow wannabe FTB'er comments as being of relevance .......well you would miss out on the "pearls of wisdom" from people who have been there done that. :rolleyes:;)

Somebody on this forum has the signiture "want to know the road ahead? ask somebody coming back" very apt I thought.

Edited by Catch22

I'm an STR, and fully appreciate the differences between STRers and would be FTBers. I know I can go out and buy a house tomorrow if I want to, whereas many would be FTBers can't.

You've done well, I can't see why there's any antagonism between the two, you've cashed out of the market and haven't harmed any FTB'ers in the process (unless you sold to some poor sap), if anything you have added to supply.

If somebody cannot afford a house it's easy to moan, it's like arguing about the colour of the Maybach you can't afford. However, STR's have put their money where their mouth is, they've hedged the market.

If a STR or FTB has £200k in reserves then both are the same 'real' money of course, the former doesn't suddenly become funny money, it may have earned in a slightly more dubious way but both are in exactly the same position at the end of the day.

I've nothing against str's at all I think it is a cracking idea, the fact it really p!sses of vi's just adds to the flavour.

My position is closer to str's than most ftb's in the fact I can buy but refuse to...

they can kiss my fat @rse if they think I'm gonna pay these prices.

I am an FTB, but I like DonnieDarker couldn't give a monkey's why you are here, we all want the same thing.

We should just exchange views and info regardless, and certainly should not be turning on each other.

As DD said many STR's are obviously financially aware, and have had the bo**ocks to put their money where their mouth is. Good luck to them.

Guest muttley

It's the diversity of circumstances and opinions that make this such a great site.I've learned stuff from Strs,FTBs,BTLs even ex-pats and singing pigs!!

I wouldn't want to be a member of The Mutual Back Slapping Club.

My position is closer to str's than most ftb's in the fact I can buy but refuse to...

There would have to be two FTB sections.One for those who can buy now,but refuse to and one for those priced out of the market,

It's the diversity of circumstances and opinions that make this such a great site.I've learned stuff from Strs,FTBs,BTLs even ex-pats and singing pigs!!

I wouldn't want to be a member of The Mutual Back Slapping Club.

There would have to be two FTB sections.One for those who can buy now,but refuse to and one for those priced out of the market,

That the spirit we are all in it together, Nelly your right its great p*ssing off the Estate Agents. Of course to stop them wondering why I'm viewing and slagging the market off. Me and the Wife play the "good cop bad cop" routine.......It is nice......yer but its way over priced....I love the double shower...........that puts an extra £100 on the price not 10K :angry:

Well you and bottHmmmmmmmmm did you know jealousy has a habit of eating you up from the inside. :P  but I'm not bitter  :ph34r:

I visit this forum to inform and educate myself, and try to avoid pointless point scoring. For the record, I have provided the data and offered encouragement to my sister and a very close friend who both chose to STR, at the peak of the London market. They have both 'profited' massively. As I said before, jealousy does not come into it but looking out for their best interests does.

I will not respond any further on this matter.

Guest wrongmove

I agree that STRs, like some BTLs are pure speculators, whereas many FTBs are just priced out.

But at least STRs are "on our side". (I am an FTB)

But there are two catagories of FTB: priced out, and hoping for a better deal. i.e. need a drop, and want a drop.

I am in the latter class - I could afford a (rather crap) house, but by waiting and saving, I hope to be able to afford a better one, or at least get a better deal. So some FTBs are speculating too.

Where do FTBs like me come on the "scale of purity"? :)

Quotes from the  "Are There Any Ftb's On This Website?"

Buffer Bear

"Me2 and I don't like being lumped together with STR's"

What actually is your beef ?

Converted Lurker

"Shoot me down if you think I`m being cheeky here, but do you think a firstrung forum would work?"

Great idea, a novices guide to being a novice

mescalinemonkey

"maybe we could get a thing by our avatars that says FTB / STR / BTL etc"

And what would that signify?

FTB = Pure

STR = Tainted

BTL = Evil

Right, I do feel an undercurrent of resentment from some wannabe FTB’ers. So I’m giving them a chance to explain what it is they see as “unclean” about us STR'ers

Vent your splines here  :rolleyes:

I tell you what starve yourself for a week and then go to a restaruant without any money. Watch all the people eat and see how it makes you feel.

Buffer Bear,

QUOTE(Catch22 @ Sep 19 2005, 03:03 PM)

Well you and bottHmmmmmmmmm did you know jealousy has a habit of eating you up from the inside.    but I'm not bitter

Why have you deliberately hacked and stitched together two separate replies of mine that I made to three different parties. I have no issue with anyone quoting my comments, but I do have an issue with anyone who intentionally and deliberately miss quotes me.

Your hatchet job on my reply to XYZ and bott has been lumped together with part of a reply I made to your comments. Therebye implying that I accused bott of being jealous, which I did not.

Kindly remove the above intentionaly misleading miss quote that you attribute to me.

Oh by the way you infer I'm just point scoring, that is not so. If you make statements on this forum implying STR'ers are lesser beings. Or intentionally miss quote other posters, you have to be prepared to be challenged.

Now lets end it there shall we ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Catch22

I tell you what starve yourself for a week and then go to a restaruant without any money.  Watch all the people eat and see how it makes you feel.

Does your care worker know your on the internet :D;)

Edited by Catch22

Hmmmmmmmmm did you know jealousy has a habit of eating you up from the inside. :P  but I'm not bitter   :ph34r:

Corrected. "Well you and Bott" has been removed.

Less of the paranoia please. I simply failed, innocently, to delete all the irrelevant part of your post, before I responded. Nothing more, nothing less. As to your other point, I suggest you read your post again.

You are the first person that I have ever felt the need to put on 'ignore'

Edited by Buffer Bear