House Price Crash Forum
Patfig

Cheap Petrol

diesel is 1.49 ltr just now where i work in the western isles, they people that say move closer to where its cheaper as basically calling for a renewal of the highland clearances, not everyone that lives here is a rich holiday home owner.

i used to live in the city and regulary you would only do maybe 100 miles a week because everything was close at hand, a heck of a lot of people in remote areas do this as a daily commute. i used to live 80 miles from the nearest shops other than a local grocers and filling station, if i wanted anything like everyone else you headed to inverness.

these prices are realy creating hardship now, lot of people are spending about 30 quid a day on the commute and thats an economical car, very economical car. its pretty annoying here city dwellers on here talking about stuff they know f%%ck all about. im just waiting for cycle nuts to come and start.

So did nobody live outside of major cities before car ownership became nearly universal?

car-ownership-graph.gif

Tax or no tax, the cost of filling up is only going one way over the next 50 years: up. Even more than city folk, country folk are going to have to adapt to high fuel prices. No 10p/litre discount scheme is going to save them from that.

There is no public transport because no one uses it.

Don't give discounted petrol. Give free public transport to everyone.

thats crap

most people in the countryside work in manual jobs too, what you suggesting they take there plasterboard and fishing nets on the bus with them, even 200 years ago country folk needed there own transport ie horses, you city dwellers jumped on a horse drawing tram

There is no public transport because no one uses it.

Don't give discounted petrol. Give free public transport to everyone.

Very nicely said indeed

thats crap

most people in the countryside work in manual jobs too, what you suggesting they take there plasterboard and fishing nets on the bus with them, even 200 years ago country folk needed there own transport ie horses, you city dwellers jumped on a horse drawing tram

If you need a vehicle for work rather than thinking you need one to get to work that's different.

A builder would need a van for work and would be expected to factor in to his costs the actual cost of that van. As all builders would need a van then they would be an no disadvantage.

This hair brained scheme wouldnt look out of place in a Labour manifesto.

When will they learn that you cannot come up with fiddles like this to fix perceived problems.

First of all, there is the cost of the subsidy.

Then there is the cost of administering the subsidy, this is always a dead weight.

Then there is the cost of the gaming and the fraud that will inevitably rise up as a result of cheaper petrol. This monster will grow and grow, it always does.

The burden placed on our young via extra taxes just grows and grows. Why cant politicians learn to leave things to the market?

This hair brained scheme wouldnt look out of place in a Labour manifesto.

Quite.

Petrol duty is the fair way of charging motorists for the miles they do/energy extravagance of their cars.

If rural idyls become too expensive for people to drive to work then they will be worth less?

I'd be suprised if there are many places in England more than 50 miles from a major conurbation and since we're talking about people with cars then it seems almost certain people living in these 'remote' locations visit their local conurbations periodically. If they don't then they can't really do much of a mileage so how can it make much difference?

Presumably Scotland and Wales can do whatever they like via their assemblies. If they want to subsidise a few thousand people in out of the way places that should be up to them. I guess Danny Alexander must have Scots in mind...............

Everyone in the countryside needs their own transport because there is no public transport. The idea of increasing fuel duty to discourage car use does not hurt everyone equally. Any rise sufficient to stop the city dweller driving a mile to the supermarket is going to kill the country dweller who must drive 20. Thus fuel tax is a tax on country dwellers. You may well like "no neighbours", but you would not like no pubs and no shops near by, where you have to drive to go anywhere. Few people can live alone on deserted island, even though they may fantasise about it. Perhaps the solution is to ban private ownership of cars for those who live in built-up areas since they can walk everywhere. If you want a car, you must justify it by living out in the sticks.

Speaking as a country dweller ...

I've seen that argument and it's bunk. Cheap motoring has priced us out as it "opens up" areas like ours (west side of Dartmoor) to second-homers, while at the same time killing off local facilities (shops, pubs, etc) by taking their market elsewhere leaving only the underclass reliant on them.

The good news for the dispossessed is that "drive 20 miles to the supermarket" is a myth, too. Supermarkets are very happy to deliver. Works nicely not only for the rural poor, but for those who can't or don't drive for other reasons ranging from ethical to medical.

So did nobody live outside of major cities before car ownership became nearly universal?

car-ownership-graph.gif

Tax or no tax, the cost of filling up is only going one way over the next 50 years: up. Even more than city folk, country folk are going to have to adapt to high fuel prices. No 10p/litre discount scheme is going to save them from that.

Dorkins,

Do you have a source for that chart?

:)

This is the thin end of the wedge. From what I can gather, living out in the sticks is a lifestyle choice, people can choose to live where they want. It's the same when they're bleating about the lack of fast broadband. If you choose to live in the sticks, then you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I mean, I can't just choose to go and live in South Kensington and have the government paying my rent for me out of LHA, just because I want to live in a nice area.........oh...errr....hang on. dry.gif

It ain't gonna happen.

It's a soundbite that will disappear within 48 hours.

Trust me.

I trust you Fishy............. are you a politician?

I trust you Fishy............. are you a politician?

No, I'm far too modest, polite and honest.

The 'rural' petrol policy rebate is just a knee-jerk reaction that typifies modern politics.

We seem to elect very young politicians these days and consign anyone over the age of 60 to the dust-bin.

Young whippersnappers have much less life experience and have no capacity to think ahead, the same way an older person

might*.

All that experience we have across all parties (Major, Benn, Ashdown, Owen for example) shoved into the background during a time

of crisis.

*In the case of John Major, the Edwina Currie episode being an exception.

No, I'm far too modest, polite and honest.

The 'rural' petrol policy rebate is just a knee-jerk reaction that typifies modern politics.

We seem to elect very young politicians these days and consign anyone over the age of 60 to the dust-bin.

Young whippersnappers have much less life experience and have no capacity to think ahead, the same way an older person

might*.

All that experience we have across all parties (Major, Benn, Ashdown, Owen for example) shoved into the background during a time

of crisis.

*In the case of John Major, the Edwina Currie episode being an exception.

I dont know if old people do think ahead that well; me granny always used to sh1t herself long before she got to the pot!

I dont know if old people do think ahead that well; me granny always used to sh1t herself long before she got to the pot!

At least she made the effort to get to the pot.

Toddlers simply crap in their pants and wait for someone else to clear up the mess.

Maybe that's what we should call today's politicians - the Toddler Generation

:)