House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

easy2012

4Od : Pawn King

The lass who was the call centre supervisor was quite nice.

Anyway, the doc was interesting, worth a watch. Some great stuff being pawned.

06:15--"There should be government help for people who are temporarily financially embarrassed...and why not?" WTF is she crazy or just stupid? :blink:

Is it that radical when you actually think about it? Bankers have had lots of government help so why not everyone else?

Saw this when it was on last night. The part about what happens to the gear if it isn't redeemed by the borrower was a bit concerning as I think they are possibly operating illegally. The gear was simply auctioned off but a Pawn Broker can't just flog off the property at any old price simply to clear the debt. It is still the property of the borrower and he has the right to redeem it right up until it's actually sold and the Pawn Broker has a duty to obtain a proper market value and the balance belongs to the borrower. This is the reason why Pawn Brokers don't break up coins in jewelery and sell seperately, if they did they would be guilty of criminal damage.

If the property is worth £200 and your debt is £100 then the Pawn Broker has to try and get that £200 and can't just take the first £100 offer that comes along in order to get his money back.

The lass who was the call centre supervisor was quite nice.

Anyway, the doc was interesting, worth a watch. Some great stuff being pawned.

Or was it 'aspirational' tat and bling being pawned? The pawnbroker has enough sense to comment on the 'status' nonsense in our society.

It was the woman who was selling her gold so that she could go and buy clothes and shoes that she was never going to wear that amazed me....

Am I good with money? Yeah, I think so.... :blink:

It was a great doc though - the pawnbroker had his head screwed on, internet pawn brokering being the ultimate in discretion for the middle class skint. I wonder how many of those flash cars get returned to the owners...

I wonder how many of those flash cars get returned to the owners...

A guy drives up to a pawnbrokers in central London and asks to borrow 500 pound for two weeks as he was off on holiday that afternoon and needed some spending money.

The pawnbroker informs him that for a two week loan the interest rate would be 2% but as he didn't know the man some security would be needed. "Would my car do?" he says pointing to the Rolls Royce Corniche outside.

"How do I know it's yours?" asked the pawnbroker. So the man shows him the ownership documents with his name on and also shows him his passport which he naturally had on him as he was off on holiday.

The pawnbroker was convinced and handed over the 500 pound. With a 50k car as security for a 500 pound loan it was hardly a risk and after all business was business.

Two weeks later the customer returns paying back the principle of 500 pound plus 10 pounds interest.

Out of interest the pawnbroker asks the man why he needed the loan as he didn't seem to be poor.

"Do you know anywhere else I can park a Rolls Royce Corniche in central London for two weeks for just 10 pounds?" he replied.

Is it that radical when you actually think about it? Bankers have had lots of government help so why not everyone else?

because two wrongs dont make a right?

WTF is it with you lot...Bankers did this so i should to...OJ got away with murder, should everyone else too?

You should be outraged at the Lenders AND the borrowers.

because two wrongs dont make a right?

WTF is it with you lot...Bankers did this so i should to...OJ got away with murder, should everyone else too?

You should be outraged at the Lenders AND the borrowers.

I'm not advocating it. I'm just asking the question from that womans point of view. Her point is not that outrageous or unreasonable when you think about it.

The current problems have been caused pretty evenly by the banks lending too much money to people on the one hand, and people who are incapable of controling themselves borrowing it on the other. The banks are being bailed out (mostly) so is it that unreasonable to extend the same philosophy to everyone else?