House Price Crash Forum

Irish Central Bank Now Printing Its Own Money

HOLA441
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
...the figures also provide the latest evidence that responsibility for funding Ireland's broken banks is being pushed increasingly back on to Irish taxpayers. The loans are recorded by the Irish Central Bank under the heading "other assets".

A spokesman for the ECB said the Irish Central Bank is itself creating the money it is lending to banks, not borrowing cash from the ECB to fund the payments. The ECB spokesman said the Irish Central Bank can create its own funds if it deems it appropriate, as long as the ECB is notified.

HOLA443

Crikey! I can't see this ending well. :blink:

I work in Ireland a lot and, although the average man over there seems to be handling things pretty stoically, they've borne cut after cut and many people are facing real hardship. There's only so much blood you can squeeze out of a stone!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
A spokesman for the ECB said the Irish Central Bank is itself creating the money it is lending to banks, not borrowing cash from the ECB to fund the payments. The ECB spokesman said the Irish Central Bank can create its own funds if it deems it appropriate, as long as the ECB is notified.

Wait... have I just slipped into a parallel universe? Is this some sort of early arpil fools joke?

Doesn't this defeat the entire point of a single currency and the ECB?

Were the rules changed on the quiet without anyone noticing?

Greece.... Greece are going to go f***ing apesh!t. They were forced to go begging to the IMF.... when the Greek people find out the Greek central bank is allowed to just print money, they are going to riot and demand tax cuts and benefits rising and massive spending. The Germans... well the Germans are just going to totally lose it. They've been told they should pay higher taxes to help the PIIGS, now they are being told the PIIGS can prints EUROS at will?

It's impossible to overstate the importance of this... this is it... game over. The EU has weeks maybe days left.

I this really is true, this is the biggest news story since world war 2 finished, and may even lead to world war 3.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Wait... have I just slipped into a parallel universe? Is this some sort of early arpil fools joke?

Greece.... Greece are going to go f***ing apesh!t. They were forced to go begging to the IMF.... when the Greek people find out the Greek central bank is allowed to just print money, they are going to riot and demand tax cuts and benefits rising and massive spending. The Germans... well the Germans are just going to totally lose it. They've been told they should pay higher taxes to help the PIIGS, now they are being told the PIIGS can prints EUROS at will?

It's impossible to overstate the importance of this... this is it... game over. The EU has weeks maybe days left.

I this really is true, this is the biggest news story since world war 2 finished, and may even lead to world war 3.

I'll pop the kettle on.

HOLA4421

:lol::lol::lol: .... and breathhhhhe

HOLA4422

this is EMERGENCY funding.

All central banks do this, indeed, it is their function as the last lifeboat on the Titanic...to provide funds against a short-term shortfall.

It seems though, this is not short-term...its to cover a flight of savers to other banks. A bank run, if you will.

HOLA4423
this is EMERGENCY funding.

All central banks do this, indeed, it is their function as the last lifeboat on the Titanic...to provide funds against a short-term shortfall.

It seems though, this is not short-term...its to cover a flight of savers to other banks. A bank run, if you will.

You're right... the ECB is able to create money for short term/emergency use.... but as soon as individual countries do it it's game over.

The idea of ireland being able to do this is simply ridiculous.

You can't have one currency used by many countries if one country can print as much as they like... because they will just print huge amounts to fund public spending while keeping taxes low so they can undercut and steal business from other countries.

It was bad enough the ECB lending money to Ireland which is being used to stop taxes rising, allowing ireland to steal businesses from Germany... but Ireland actually CREATING new euros to do it? As news spreads I'd expect riots across europe, especially in Greece. If Ireland can create euros, why can't greece? Or Italy? Or Portugal or Spain... or even the new countries who join the euro this year? Why would anyone implement austerity when they can print... especially if others are already printing the same currency. In fact, you would be stupid not to print as by not doing so you disadvantage yourself.

It's simply impossible to overstate how bad this news is for europe.

It's a final roll of the dice. Ireland is already out of money. It doesn't want to raise taxes or cut services. So it's doing the unthinable. It's pushing the big red button that it knows will keep them in clover for a few more weeks, but will then destroy the universe.

It's the financial equivilent of a hydrogen bomb.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

HOLA4424

It's a final roll of the dice. Ireland is already out of money. It doesn't want to raise taxes or cut services. So it's doing the unthinable. It's pushing the big red button that it knows will keep them in clover for a few more weeks, but will then destroy the universe.

It's the financial equivilent of a hydrogen bomb.

I can't think of any countries that have successfully printed their way our of a similar mess, can anyone name one country where this tactic has worked?

If they are printing is it because the ECB wants the Irish central bank to hold the debt as its easier for Ireland to leave the Euro?

I really can't see how this can work as a sustainable strategy, surely it's going to implode?

HOLA4425