House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Obscure References

What is it with HPC in that there is always somebody who gets obscure references which nobody in real life knows about. Over the past months I've made references to Jack Ruby, Shoe shine moment. Aircraft with martini gas tanks. Dotmatrix,laser and daisy wheel.

And There is almost ALWAYS somebody who gets the obscure reference I'm making.

Maybe we should form a pub quiz team, we'd clean up nicely.

Christ Almighty! I don't think anyone gets my stuff Ken! :huh:

Someone on Pointless the other day reckoned "No one will know the current chap, Simon Clegg" ... when the question was name leaders of lib dems.

Aircraft with martini gas tanks.... hmmm. I get the rest, so not too obscure really. If I can get them, anyone can heh.

Aircraft with martini gas tanks.... hmmm. I get the rest, so not too obscure really. If I can get them, anyone can heh.

Die hard 2. Gas tank as dry as a martini. Airlines around the world increasingly carrying less and less fuel so save costs. Back in 2005 Air Malaysia or somebody regularly required tractors to tow them to the terminal as they landed with zero fuel. In 2008+9 a lot of American airlines thought this was a spiffy idea and dispatchers started to cull the amount of fuel pilots could carry such that airlines hit the runway and the engines cut out due to lack of fuel.

Die hard 2. Gas tank as dry as a martini. Airlines around the world increasingly carrying less and less fuel so save costs. Back in 2005 Air Malaysia or somebody regularly required tractors to tow them to the terminal as they landed with zero fuel. In 2008+9 a lot of American airlines thought this was a spiffy idea and dispatchers started to cull the amount of fuel pilots could carry such that airlines hit the runway and the engines cut out due to lack of fuel.

What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Let this be a lesson to all those who overstuff their hand luggage. There must have been some very sweaty copilots doing calculations again and again...

hoping not to get held up in the stack. :lol:

Ah, but if they are low on fuel then surely they get to queue jump! This way the airline ensures that it doesn't get any costly delays in its schedule - always having priority. I think that is called a business win-win. Bonuses and champers all 'round.

You clearly haven't thought this through properly. You've never worked in management have you ?! :lol:

Betcha Ryan air flies on kerosene fumes...

You would need erranta in the team, I never know wtf he is on about.

Been on winning teams of last two quizzes I had a go at. :P

One gen knowledge other music.

Good point!

And as one who lives next to Stansted but fortunately not under the stack, I wonder if theres some legislation that forces airlines to carry backup fuel in case they need to get rerouted to another airport? Wheres Mr Guntrip when you need him? ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080808/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_airlines_fuel

Says that airlines need to carry enough fuel to get to their destination or divert to a nearby airport + 45minutes. But it is up to the companies to decide how much this is.

Die hard 2. Gas tank as dry as a martini.

Yeah, I remember that. Shortly after that the plane crashed in an enormous ball of flame, which was a bit surprising given that it was down to the last gallon or two of fuel.

Wasn't it the Irish guy from Star Trek that was flying it as well?

Yeah, I remember that. Shortly after that the plane crashed in an enormous ball of flame, which was a bit surprising given that it was down to the last gallon or two of fuel.

Wasn't it the Irish guy from Star Trek that was flying it as well?