House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Big Money From Hedge Funds Are Betting On A China Crash

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8261740/Hedge-funds-bet-China-is-a-bubble-close-to-bursting.html

Hedge funds bet China is a bubble close to bursting
The world is looking to China as a springboard out of recession - but some hedge funds are betting the country's credit and growth levels cannot be sustained..../
The manager, who wanted to remain anonymous, said: “The Chinese delegation has said all week that there will be double-digit growth for years to come and the
Brits have lapped it up
. But the data doesn’t add up. We think we’ve experienced credit bubbles over the past few years, but China is the biggest. And yet the global economy is looking to China as not just a crutch but a springboard out of the recession. It’s crazy.”

Typical of us to lap up anything that looks like an easy way to riches such as another speculative bubble.

Lessons not learned yet.

No surprise that the British government and other assorted mugs are keen to get in just as the smart money is moving out.

The figures quoted in the article are mindboggling if they are only half right then the endgame for the world economy may not be far off. If it all unravels then UK house prices may well be the least off our worries.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

I suppose we have had the bull market in the China shop.

Get your coat, I've booked your taxi! tongue.gif

Seriously whats the bottom line. Less Chinese tat, no one to buy Western debt?

in what way exactly is China going to crash China is the new economic powerhouse of the world, the old guard both sides of the Atlantic want cling on to their notion of their greatness when they are in terminal decline.

the US is broke and the UK is broke, the only difference is the UK is insignificant.

The only things the Chinese want are knowledge and energy, money means nothing.

Do you think the Chinese financial system is going to need a bail out? B)

.... if they are only half right then the endgame for the world economy may not be far off. If it all unravels then UK house prices may well be the least off our worries.

UK house prices don't worry me and never have. This does. It used to amaze me that people don't want to talk about the biggest financial event in a generation but now I see that 99.999% of the population really don't want to even consider it. It shakes their world view so much that it cannot be true. A bit like the loony religious nutters who said the world would - for sure - end in 2000.

in what way exactly is China going to crash China is the new economic powerhouse of the world, the old guard both sides of the Atlantic want cling on to their notion of their greatness when they are in terminal decline.

the US is broke and the UK is broke, the only difference is the UK is insignificant.

The only things the Chinese want are knowledge and energy, money means nothing.

Do you think the Chinese financial system is going to need a bail out? B)

Possible yes, it's clear that China has been suffering from major malinvestments with the banks lending state sponsored enterprises and local govts big sums of money in nothing more than a ponzi investment scams. True the Chinese do have a massive currency reserve but it's possible all of this spare cash could be wiped out by what's been going on at the local level.

China has a huge population problem, it's hard to see how it can be contained unless they rectify it by conscripting males and making them charge machine guns etc... to bring back balance.

You can't trust western govts GDP figures, the Chinese have full control over how it manipulates data and you wish to trust it?

China = the next Japan!

I'm amazed how they came through 2008, but it's just massive amounts of borrowed money being spent on building stuff they don't need. I heard about the ghost towns and excess capacity in 2007 and said to a chinese colleague that china will crash and burn after the Bejing olympics, it happened but they pumped up the bubble some more.

There is a massive chance the china bubble will go pop, the question is when!