House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Slendertone

For all those who can't be arsed with all that Gym business, does this thing actually work?

It will probably tone your abs, but without a low body fat percentage you won't be able to see them. Probably work with a combination of diet and errr exercise. You can't however spot remove fat away.

For all those who can't be arsed with all that Gym business, does this thing actually work?

Yes they make your abs bigger, problem is you can only see abs if you have a low body fat % thus you may well be toned to hell under your flab but will still look flabby.

I have a friend who did a study on these sort of things. They do work, but most of the commercial ones use a voltage that is too low to have much of an effect. The ones that are powerful enough to be effective need to be used quite carefully as they can also cause skin burns.

I saw someone on TV saying it was a very unpleasant sensation - far less pleasant than exercise!

I've always wanted to play with one of those with a flat mate once. He slept like a corpse and would take sleeping pills as well. I always wanted to put one of those machines on his head while he slept. So he'd have a muscly head. But a weedy body.

I've always wanted to play with one of those with a flat mate once. He slept like a corpse and would take sleeping pills as well. I always wanted to put one of those machines on his head while he slept. So he'd have a muscly head. But a weedy body.

:lol:

You'd probably give him a religious experience or an epileptic fit!

:blink:

Yes they make your abs bigger, problem is you can only see abs if you have a low body fat % thus you may well be toned to hell under your flab but will still look flabby.

+1

Just walking around will do more for your beer belly than any ab exercise. You need to burn off the fat, which requires you to use more energy and/or consume less calories.

I have a Slendertone, and can confirm that when you turn the power up, you'll definately feel it. Most people can't bear it at the highest power because the muscle contractions are so huge. It's so powerful that I have to be careful how I put it on; if I place it an inch in the wrong direction it changes how the muscle contracts and becomes quite painful.

So in summary, yes they do actually do something and IMHO you will definately feel it.

However, will it give you the results you want?

Most people buy them for the wrong reson - because they are fat. It'll not make them skinny. If you have 30% body fat, strapping one of these round your gut isn't going to do anything.

I bought mine because even though I am a skinny person, I've always had slack abdominal muscles. No doctor has ever told me why this is (and I have asked) - my guess is that it is a result of having abdominal surgery twice when I was a baby (and hence having the entire width of my abdominals cut through twice), and I suspect it's also in part to a symptom of a syndrome I was born with.

I bought the slendertone a couple of years ago - I used it for a few weeks and then stopped, but I was noticing a slight difference, especially in the 'side' muscles of my abdomen. Since stopping using it, I've kinda gone for it with the whole healthy diet thing and my body fat is now under 10% - I can see the top two abs when I tense my stomach but still can't see the others - I had been meaning to get back into using the slendertone to see if it actually does work for an otherwise lean person.

So I'll start on Monday, keep the diet clean, and take before and after pics. Which nobody but me will be seeing of course. But I'll let you know how I get on.

Most people buy them for the wrong reson - because they are fat. It'll not make them skinny. If you have 30% body fat, strapping one of these round your gut isn't going to do anything.

It can. About 20 years ago they had these freaky people on the Word CH4 friday nights, showed these bloked who had used them while they were still fat it kind of made them a funny shape.

It can. About 20 years ago they had these freaky people on the Word CH4 friday nights, showed these bloked who had used them while they were still fat it kind of made them a funny shape.

I stand corrected! :)

I suppose what I should say is that it will not achieve what they are expecting it to ahieve, which is fat loss.

You can't however spot remove fat away.

Very important point this - no exercise of any kind can cause you to lose fat from specific areas of your body.

So sit ups won't make you lose fat around your waistline, they will simply build the underlying muscle, which will most likely still be covered in a layer of fat so not visible. Your body will burn fat from the 'easiest' stores first - generally the places you personally first put on weight (could be the bum, tum or hips, etc depending on your gender and genetics),

The best option is a calorie controlled diet high in protein + exercise.

They owe you royalties Ken...

http://flv.isitetv.com/slendertone/face/slendertone.html