House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Harmonised Prices?

Has anybody noticed this little trend or is it just me as usual.

In that when buying something say a book the WWW price is harmonised almost everywhere. So amazon sells the thing for £11 inc postage other places will sell it for £8.50 + £2.50 for postage. With the trend going upwards overtime.. I mean ebay used to be a gold mine well more of a silver mine for used books 50p here and there and a quid for delivery. Yet now they cost exactly the same as Amazon costs new.

More deflationary pressures? :blink:

In that when buying something say a book the WWW price is harmonised almost everywhere. So amazon sells the thing for £11 inc postage other places will sell it for £8.50 + £2.50 for postage. With the trend going upwards overtime.. I mean ebay used to be a gold mine well more of a silver mine for used books 50p here and there and a quid for delivery. Yet now they cost exactly the same as Amazon costs new.

I hadn't noticed that to a great extent yet myself, but it is probably to be expected as information access becomes easier. There was a woman on the radio over Christmas talking about how shops used to rely on getting people through the doors with a tempting window display and then having higher prices on other items. She pointed out that these days many people shop with their phones out to compare prices across stores and are willing to walk around to get the cheapest price. Presumably as pricing information becomes more ubiquitous there will be strong pressures towards completely homogenized prices or stores adding value in terms of the shopping experience, because relatively few people are daft enough to pay over the odds unnecessarily (excluding the whole issue of prestige pricing where people pay over the odds for exclusivity of brand).

Out of interest - if the trend is upwards over time is that not inflationary?

Out of interest - if the trend is upwards over time is that not inflationary?

It's a jibe towards Realistbear the contrarian indicator of HPC. I.e inflation is deflationary deflation is also deflationary. Price increases are also deflationary. :lol:

It's a jibe towards Realistbear the contrarian indicator of HPC. I.e inflation is deflationary deflation is also deflationary. Price increases are also deflationary. :lol:

so I guess that means that deflation is a vector rather than a scalar quantity

[:scratching head smiley:]

Is it that they have all cut their margins to a minimum and as they have similar costs their prices are also similar? Probably not.

I guess they are all guided by Amazon in the book market. You'd have to match them for price before even starting to compete with them.

The other thing I have noticed is that, even when sticker prices do vary, different P&P rates all miraculously mesh with the sticker prices to result in the actual price-to-deliver being identical. How likely is that? dry.gif