House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copydude

Ryanair Rip Off Ruled Illegal

Ryanair told it's illegal to fine passengers for not having boarding passes print-out

Daily Mirror

RYANAIR has been told it is illegal to charge passengers who fail to print their own boarding passes before arriving at an airport.

In a test case brought by Spanish lawyer Dan Miro Garcia after he was fined £34 last May, a judge in Barcelona ruled the Irish firm was duty bound to print boarding passes for passengers free of charge.

The budget airline routinely fines customers who check-in at Spanish airports without a print-out of their boarding passes. But the judge ruled they were breaking aviation law and said the charges were “abusive”.

It's nice to see someone successful against Ryanair. Though I see it took a lawyer.

In my experience, it's almost impossible to register a complaint with Ryanair and the regulatory bodies don't want to know.

Heh had a look online recently for something businessy. Ryan air was about £26 cheaper. But while poking around the charges started mounting up FAST.

So I chose Monarch instead, which goes to a different city but the saving is big enough to rent a car out there.

I wonder if this would apply to those companies that charge £3 to get a paper bill sent to you, and a fee for procesing non-direct debit payments?

Even Monarch had those £9 to pay with credit card, £5 to pay with debit card. I chose paypal instead which cost me nothing but cost Monarch 6% :lol:

Even Monarch had those £9 to pay with credit card, £5 to pay with debit card. I chose paypal instead which cost me nothing but cost Monarch 6% :lol:

I suspect that large companies that accept payment through Paypal have negotiated individual deals, the result of which is that they'll pay a lot less than the 6% that you or I do when we flog something on Fleabay.

Intrerestingly, though, the CC companies seem to be trying to crack down on Paypal. I recently had a letter from Tesco Credit Cards announcing a change to their T & Cs, to the effect that they will not refund any payment from the credit card to Paypal if something goes wrong with a transaction (goods not delivered, company goes bust before delivery etc.). They claim that in such circumstances, once Paypal has accepted the payment it is up to them to guarantee any failed transaction. Whether this would stand up in the Small Claims Court if any case gets that far (e.g. plane ticket bought by Paypal; airline goes bust; Paypal and the card issuer refuse to reimburse and you then take the latter to court citing the Consumer Credit Act 1974), I don't know and would be intrigued to find out. My employers also refuse to reimburse expenses for anything bought via Paypal as well, which I presume is due to some sort of insurance reason..

I suspect that large companies that accept payment through Paypal have negotiated individual deals, the result of which is that they'll pay a lot less than the 6% that you or I do when we flog something on Fleabay.

Intrerestingly, though, the CC companies seem to be trying to crack down on Paypal. I recently had a letter from Tesco Credit Cards announcing a change to their T & Cs, to the effect that they will not refund any payment from the credit card to Paypal if something goes wrong with a transaction (goods not delivered, company goes bust before delivery etc.). They claim that in such circumstances, once Paypal has accepted the payment it is up to them to guarantee any failed transaction. Whether this would stand up in the Small Claims Court if any case gets that far (e.g. plane ticket bought by Paypal; airline goes bust; Paypal and the card issuer refuse to reimburse and you then take the latter to court citing the Consumer Credit Act 1974), I don't know and would be intrigued to find out. My employers also refuse to reimburse expenses for anything bought via Paypal as well, which I presume is due to some sort of insurance reason..

Yeah I know less protection than usual, thing is I don't expect Monarch to go bust just like that AND I HAVE to have travel insurance anyway for this trip, therefore I'm covered in one way or another, If it all goes belly up I have a final option, that is simply to hook up the extended fuel tank (capacity 40 litres) onto the back of the bike giving me 58 litres capacity and a 600 mile range. Meaning only 2 stops are needed. Google maps suggests it takes 25 hours. I reckon 33 including rest stops is ample time. A mate of mine managed to get from Brindisi Italy to Liverpool in less than 22 hours without endurance tanks.

A Spanish lawyer that doesn't bother to read the terms and conditions when he enters into a contract with an airline.

He should be disbarred - for being utterly useless as a lawyer!

The whole case is ridiculous - you are not fined for not having a boarding pass you are asked to pay for it. Why should others have to give up their cheaper flights thanks to stupid Spanish lawyers. :lol:

A Spanish lawyer that doesn't bother to read the terms and conditions when he enters into a contract with an airline.

The whole case is ridiculous - you are not fined for not having a boarding pass you are asked to pay for it. Why should others have to give up their cheaper flights thanks to stupid Spanish lawyers. :lol:

Once you have booked your own flight, processed the payment yourself, checked yourself in and printed your own boarding pass, Ryanair also charges an administration fee for doing nothing.

Once you have booked your own flight, processed the payment yourself, checked yourself in and printed your own boarding pass, Ryanair also charges an administration fee for doing nothing.

What admiistration fee is this - its an online check in fee! However on most of their special offer flights (why would you book any other flight with Ryanair this is usually waived).

You also don't have to pay any payment charges if you pay with a prepaid Mastercard.

In the end if you don't like Ryanair fly with BA - who will cancel your flight due to strikes every 5 minutes, arrive late and lose your luggage! :lol:

Yeah I know less protection than usual, thing is I don't expect Monarch to go bust just like that AND I HAVE to have travel insurance anyway for this trip, therefore I'm covered in one way or another, If it all goes belly up I have a final option, that is simply to hook up the extended fuel tank (capacity 40 litres) onto the back of the bike giving me 58 litres capacity and a 600 mile range. Meaning only 2 stops are needed. Google maps suggests it takes 25 hours. I reckon 33 including rest stops is ample time. A mate of mine managed to get from Brindisi Italy to Liverpool in less than 22 hours without endurance tanks.

hint:...there are petrol stations throughout Europe.

hint:...there are petrol stations throughout Europe.

Because stops reduce your average speed and take time. With massive massive endurance tanks there is little reason to stop thus getting you from one place to another faster. With enough fuel you can in practice play distance vs speed calculations.

I.e. its 300 miles I travel at 70mph I get there in 4 hours 10 minutes. When you have to stop your average speed drops considerably as you pump the petrol. Such stops will reduce your average speed to about 50mph meaning it takes closer to 6-7 hours to do 300 miles. Since you can only stay awake on a bike so long you have to factor in a rest stop in the middle of a 7 hour trip. No such thing is needed for a 4 hour trek. Thus saving even more time. Outside Europe this is very important. Hannes for example was Irkutsk, his bike had broken it's rear suspension. He had been waiting for 2 weeks to get a replacement shock.

DHL messed him about it was fixed he had 4038 miles to get to the border with Finland. He had 66 hours to get out of Russia. 5 of those were virtual hours as heading west he gained an hour every 900miles. Without his massive fuel tanks he'd never had made it. And you seriously dont want to be in Russia with an expired visa.

seriously dont want to be in Russia with an expired visa.

Yes, I was arrested at Moscow Sheremetyevo airport with an expired visa on my way from Tbilisi to London once and they stuck me in a detention centre overnight then deported me. They were very arsey with me as well and the FSB woman suggested that I had been planning to stay in Russia rather than flying onwards so I told her that her country was a complete and total dump and that I wouldn't spend one more minute in it than I had to if I was paid to.

Because stops reduce your average speed and take time. With massive massive endurance tanks there is little reason to stop thus getting you from one place to another faster. With enough fuel you can in practice play distance vs speed calculations.

I.e. its 300 miles I travel at 70mph I get there in 4 hours 10 minutes. When you have to stop your average speed drops considerably as you pump the petrol. Such stops will reduce your average speed to about 50mph meaning it takes closer to 6-7 hours to do 300 miles. Since you can only stay awake on a bike so long you have to factor in a rest stop in the middle of a 7 hour trip. No such thing is needed for a 4 hour trek. Thus saving even more time. Outside Europe this is very important. Hannes for example was Irkutsk, his bike had broken it's rear suspension. He had been waiting for 2 weeks to get a replacement shock.

DHL messed him about it was fixed he had 4038 miles to get to the border with Finland. He had 66 hours to get out of Russia. 5 of those were virtual hours as heading west he gained an hour every 900miles. Without his massive fuel tanks he'd never had made it. And you seriously dont want to be in Russia with an expired visa.

C'mon Ken. As well a petrol you know the fuel stop is also an opportunity to reoxygenate the blood vessels in your ass! :lol:

C'mon Ken. As well a petrol you know the fuel stop is also an opportunity to reoxygenate the blood vessels in your ass! :lol:

You've obviously not seen me on a long motorway trip. When I used to do them regularly you'd see me pulling all sorts of strange exercises on the bike. Sitting cross legged or side saddle. When I bodged a cruise control mechanism it was even easier. You could sit cross legged on the bike easily and stretch both arms and kneel on the bike as well.

... of the bike giving me 58 litres capacity and a 600 mile range. Meaning only 2 stops are needed. Google maps suggests it takes 25 hours. ...

You only get 10 mpg on the bike?!

:o

Yes, I was arrested at Moscow Sheremetyevo airport with an expired visa on my way from Tbilisi to London once and they stuck me in a detention centre overnight then deported me. They were very arsey with me as well and the FSB woman suggested that I had been planning to stay in Russia rather than flying onwards so I told her that her country was a complete and total dump and that I wouldn't spend one more minute in it than I had to if I was paid to.

Always the charmer Harry.. :P

If you were planning to stay in Russia, then why were you trying to get on a plane to London? The acumen of the Russian intelligence service has clearly gone downhill since the days of the KGB!

I make it 43.88 mpg.

You're absolutely right gallons/litres confusion. Just seemed low as my car will do over 600 miles on a 60 litre tank at motorway speeds (70 - 80)

I guess Ken must have been caning it at well over 70.

Actually, I do like Russia, I lived there for four years during the1990's when it was all very exciting, I just don't like authority figures and Russian authority figures are a particular pain in the butt, especially the ones that won't take a bribe.

I've been scanning some pics this afternoon so just for you, here's a photo I took of my truck at Chudova, about 120km south of St Petersburg ;)

scan0015-1.jpg

Well, perhaps because RyanAir were acting illegally? Why should someone be disbarred because he refuses to assist a company in breaking the law? Are you seriously saying that it's ok for a cmpany to break the law simply so that people can get cheap flights?

Ryanair won't give a toss.

There are always more and more herds of people ready to be duped by £1 flights or whatever.

The total snob in me refuses to fly Ryanair anyway. Last thing I want to do is spend a few hours on a Ryanair plane because you'll be mixing with the type of people who fly Ryanair. Eugh.

You're absolutely right gallons/litres confusion. Just seemed low as my car will do over 600 miles on a 60 litre tank at motorway speeds (70 - 80)

I guess Ken must have been caning it at well over 70.

French Motorways are 130kmh ~ 80mph as with the UK with a 70 limit people go 80. With an 80 limit in france people go 90-95

I coast along at 100mph when touring Europe. I think its far better to stop every two hours as your mind tends to go.

C'mon Ken. As well a petrol you know the fuel stop is also an opportunity to reoxygenate the blood vessels in your ass!

I ache like hell on my bike, a good solution I found is to stand up. Keep your knees tight around the tank and the throttle in position and you can carry on.

At at very high speed your MPG tends to go through the floor.

At 170mph my 955 went from 55mpg to 25mpg. Which means stopping every half an hour to be sure you don't run out. Rather pointless

I coast along at 100mph when touring Europe. I think its far better to stop every two hours as your mind tends to go.

At 170mph my 955 went from 55mpg to 25mpg. Which means stopping every half an hour to be sure you don't run out. Rather pointless

I find it important to get out of Northern France soon as, I don't cruise at 170mph though, I cruise at about 95-105mph. When it gets hot in full leathers you have to cruise this fast to keep cool.