House Price Crash Forum
SleepyHead

Bbc Journalists Have A Meeting On 2011 Coverage

2011 might be looking bad, but it's not been like life in Trumpton for the last three years either. Fortunately I don't rely on the BBC to keep me informed anymore although I am legally obliged to pay for them to keep missing the story.

it's like being an east german dissident and being forced to pay for the stasi sponsored ministry of disinformation.they'll be playing homes under the hammer repeats from 2006 as the lava rolls into the high street.

Not a bad overview by Peston. Shame most if it will never hit the main stream new bulletin, in order to keep the sheeple buying (overpriced) houses and shopping and so on.

Doubtless when the brown stuff eventually hits the air conditioner it will be presented by the BBC as "no one could have foreseen this."

I can't see the vid details, where has that come from?

Clearly it won't make it on the 6 o'clock news, but I think he's pretty much spot on. Shows they have some common sence whilst the general news puppets are ramping!

pretty good.

I don't agree with the Ireland analysis though, they got shafted on purpose by the ECB withdrawing credit to force a bailout.

Highly recommended viewing.

Clearly Peston and others are all too aware of the issues discussed ad nauseam on this site and the risks they pose to us.

I was particularly interested to see the implosion of a Chinese speculative bubble highlighted as possibly the biggest risk over and above the Eurozone. It was singularly depressing to hear him air some of my suspicions that the liquidity pumped into the banking system by QE is now being p*ssed away in asset speculation in the Far East. If the bailed banks get caught out again by another property crash then I think the populace will have every right to expect to see their Directors literally taken out and strung up from the nearest lamp post.

What is most frightening is that given the fact that political, monetary and other authorities are fully cognascent of the threats how little real power they feel they have to influence the outcome. It appears to be a case of prime the liquiditypumps and then pray it does not all blow up. There is not much of a Plan A and clearly no Plan B.

It is sad fact that this sort of exposition would once have been done on Prime Time TV by the BBC but is now confined to the world of pod casts.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

It is sad fact that this sort of exposition would once have been done on Prime Time TV by the BBC but is now confined to the world of pod casts.

I think that they recognise that fact in putting it onto the internet. Most informed people will get to see it now it is on the www. Re. my earlier post - many people no longer rely on Prime Time TV for their news.

So they are expecting something major to happen this year then?

To be honest there are so many potentials and most appear close to breaking point.

We've got the following in no particular order.

Ireland

Greece

Spain

Portugal

France

UK

China

US

Japan

The banks

All appear near critical mass and ready for imploding.

So they are expecting something major to happen this year then?

To be honest there are so many potentials and most appear close to breaking point.

We've got the following in no particular order.

Ireland

Greece

Spain

Portugal

France

UK

China

US

Japan

The banks

All appear near critical mass and ready for imploding.

Basically the entire financial system shafted up the pooper then. There is no way the world will avoid a severe depression once Europe and China have both imploded. China will recover eventually, but many parts of Europe will slip back into pre-eurozone poverty. The US will become introvert and also eventually begin to rebuild, at least they've allowed their property market to collapse. Australia and Canada's property bubbles will deflate fast, and they will have to wait until the world recovers so they can sell more commodities. The UK will go through one of it's worst periods of public service dessimation and unemployment in living memory...so many people I have spoken to are being laid off...many from organisations that service the public sector, not directly employed by the government but contracted out. It is going to be horrendous...anyone holding big debt is going to be toast by the end of 2012.

Basically the entire financial system shafted up the pooper then. There is no way the world will avoid a severe depression once Europe and China have both imploded. China will recover eventually, but many parts of Europe will slip back into pre-eurozone poverty. The US will become introvert and also eventually begin to rebuild, at least they've allowed their property market to collapse. Australia and Canada's property bubbles will deflate fast, and they will have to wait until the world recovers so they can sell more commodities. The UK will go through one of it's worst periods of public service dessimation and unemployment in living memory...so many people I have spoken to are being laid off...many from organisations that service the public sector, not directly employed by the government but contracted out. It is going to be horrendous...anyone holding big debt is going to be toast by the end of 2012.

do you do kids parties?

i think the only thing youve missed out is war from that soundbite of positivity

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

they are going to drag this out for as long as possible just scrambling to get to the next election.

TBH that film was just stating the obvious, the real challenge is to get rid of the deficits in a positive way.

Flanders seemed to have swallowed the mantra that the economy is growing, unemployment is under control etc.

This is not the case, the way they calculate GDP is flawed in terms of being useful. The real pressure on unemployment has not even started, the pressure from inflation hasn't even started yet. At the moment the govt is giving money away by keeping interest rates low, this is softening the blow from inflation, but will not last.

This year will see the start of the process, it's all about the private sector.

The one interesting point was that she said if the US house prices fall further it will hurt the banks, this is the whole problem, housing costs too much (in this country anyway) so the economy cannot really recover so the banks cannot be saved. :huh:

overreaction to a throw away remark from Peston. he's a labour fan and doesn't want to see a recovery under Osborne.

do you do kids parties?

i think the only thing youve missed out is war from that soundbite of positivity

Who was it that posted the lovely story of the UK on one of my topics...?

A lovely story about not paying ack debt, and moving into a debtors camp, ona a disused air base...?

(Might have been hovel in hove, or IRRO?

Wish I could find it again...

To those in the media who tell us the economy is recovering: In a recovering economy you see tax cuts. So far, all we are seeing are tax rises. This suggests the opposite.

Don't let them fool you. We are stuck in a depression. Only their printed trillions are keeping this baby from falling off the cliff.

overreaction to a throw away remark from Peston. he's a labour fan and doesn't want to see a recovery under Osborne.

Peston doesn't need a recovery at all.... the Beeb is the only broadcaster whom you are obliged to fund under pain of imprisonment... "we're all in this together" dontcha know :)

Would it be that Peston worked for a wobbly national newspaper or the likes of Sky he might not be such a liberal spreader of "doom & gloom".

Interesting Video. Peston is really quite good here. Mentions China's Bubble etc.

The following is Peston's opening. You can watch the whole thing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r80CiytLWLo

Very good! Thanks for the link WTB.

Highly recommended. Finally the credit bubble is described well, in its huge, historical dimension.

(Pity Peston doesn't blame Brown more directly, pointing to the main bubble-inflating period, since 2002//03/04, but that would be asking too much.)

A must watch video. Good Peston.

Peston... says it how it is...why should he hide the truth? not to say that there is no way out of this accumulated mess.....there will be more money, but it will be worth less...the lenders of no risk will have to face up to the fact that to lend there will be a risk involved......the pain will have to be shared around, each paying their own bit, they are an integral part of the game, a game that they will not necessarily always be the only winners always.....all will have to be in this together. ;)

To those in the media who tell us the economy is recovering: In a recovering economy you see tax cuts.

the opposite, in a recovering economy you can afford to pay off the debts, happened under tories following the early 90s recession

So far, all we are seeing are tax rises. This suggests the opposite.

this suggests you are a labour shill

Edited by Si1

No longer. With inflation this high, if they print they will have a Gilts market crisis.

No, even Pesto mentions this on the vid.

ECB lends cash to EU commercial banks who then use the cash to buy

Eurozone govt bonds!

Ha ha

Happening already

No, even Pesto mentions this on the vid.

ECB lends cash to EU commercial banks who then use the cash to buy

Eurozone govt bonds!

Ha ha

Happening already

We were talking about Britain. The Eurozone can do that precisely because they don't have inflation.