House Price Crash Forum

Media Portrayal Of Peoples' Homes

HOLA441

Slightly stating the obvious really..... :rolleyes: I mean -- This has been the case for YEARS!! Why so late in waking up?? :rolleyes:

Most of the characters in farming soap Emmerdale would not be able to afford to live in their country homes because of high prices in the rural housing market.

New research from The National Housing Federation, which represents 1,200 housing associations across England, has claimed that two thirds of residents would not be able to pay the exorbitant house prices.

Pub chef Marlon Dingle, who would earn in the region of £20,000, and factory worker Lizzie Lakely, whose salary would be about £14,000, would both be priced out of the village, where the real-life price of a home would be at least £150,000.

Farmhand Andy Sugden would also be priced out of a real-life Emmerdale, given his salary would be about £21,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342752/Emmerdale-characters-afford-live-soap-real-soaring-house-prices.html

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Slightly stating the obvious really..... :rolleyes: I mean -- This has been the case for YEARS!! Why so late in waking up?? :rolleyes:

Most of the characters in farming soap Emmerdale would not be able to afford to live in their country homes because of high prices in the rural housing market.

New research from The National Housing Federation, which represents 1,200 housing associations across England, has claimed that two thirds of residents would not be able to pay the exorbitant house prices.

Pub chef Marlon Dingle, who would earn in the region of £20,000, and factory worker Lizzie Lakely, whose salary would be about £14,000, would both be priced out of the village, where the real-life price of a home would be at least £150,000.

Farmhand Andy Sugden would also be priced out of a real-life Emmerdale, given his salary would be about £21,000.

http://www.dailymail...use-prices.html

A 2 second search reveals this >>>

http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Farm_Hand_17468

Average UK salary for a farmhand = £12,750

£10,000 in Yorkshire!

Where the hell do they get £21,000 from?

The whole article has been made up!

HOLA443

A 2 second search reveals this >>>

http://www.mysalary....Farm_Hand_17468

Average UK salary for a farmhand = £12,750

£10,000 in Yorkshire!

Where the hell do they get £21,000 from?

The whole article has been made up!

nonsense, any reputable IFA will swear that farmhands earn at least 50K..even sign as a witness to it.

HOLA444

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342752/Emmerdale-characters-afford-live-soap-real-soaring-house-prices.html

This will be the case for other soaps. It would be good if young people's problems in buying their first home were covered in a story (has this been done?), e.g. Marlon Dingle loses the plot (did Emmerdale ever have a coherent plot?) at how screwed he is and blows away a number of Emmerdale characters to rob them to get some money for that 25% deposit :lol:

HOLA445

A spokesman for Emmerdale said: 'Whilst we understand the importance of this campaign, we were not contacted or consulted over this research and the findings do not appear to take into account characters' individual circumstances.'

... such as the fact they're all on self certified mortgages and like other fraudulent applications during the boom years none of them actually exist.

HOLA446

This will be the case for other soaps. It would be good if young people's problems in buying their first home were covered in a story (has this been done?), e.g. Marlon Dingle loses the plot (did Emmerdale ever have a coherent plot?) at how screwed he is and blows away a number of Emmerdale characters to rob them to get some money for that 25% deposit :lol:

Especially Eastenders ,

Take those victorian terraces in places like Mile end or Bow , they would be around £600k to buy and £500p.w. to rent.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Never mind housing, the characters in these soaps could not afford to spend the amount of time they do in the pub if they were living rent free in a barn, The problem is that media people think that poverty is anything below about £50k.

no - people are just more entertaining when drunk

HOLA4410

nonsense, any reputable IFA will swear that farmhands earn at least 50K..even sign as a witness to it.

.....and probably fill in the entire form with 'supporting evidence' to boot.

I long ago said on this site, if you ask one hundred home owners, ''Can you afford to buy your own home on a 10% deposit with your current salary?''....then a rather high number would have to admit they could not. That is the case, even though their wage has increased until recently yoy. The reason? Well, since 1997 wages have increased 88% on average, whilst property prices have increased by 3-400% depending on area. The question should be asked on 'family misfortunes'.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Perhaps the next wave of stories will be benefit clampdown's on the residents after an anomaly in government figures suggest a disability rate of 100%, non payment of mortgages in the lemon farm borough, jail and repossessions aplenty. Not to mention the raiding and closing down of the farm's tobacco smuggling ring, and the pub's knock off vodka scam.

Perhaps some suits could swarm in, and pick up the properties, then rent them out to migrant workers whilst paying them to work the fields for minimum wage. Some could be involved in the building of a Tescos, before being dispersed to another area when work dries up. And a businessman type character could top himself after losing out in a ponzi.

HOLA4413

Cannot be arsed to do a search, but they have printed the same story at least once before a few years back. Beyond the memory span of the average reader I would expect

HOLA4414

... such as the fact they're all on self certified mortgages and like other fraudulent applications during the boom years none of them actually exist.

does the term self-certified refer to the people in question who are purchasing the mortgage?

.....do we get exemptions under section 136?...that's not exactly self-inflicted,but deemed by authorities as sufficient to apprehend with belief that the proponent is likely to put his/her self or community in considerable danger.

(sounds goood dunnit!!....I have an IVA!!...no problem,I've just been classed as cuckoo by ocean finance

HOLA4415

I long ago said on this site, if you ask one hundred home owners, ''Can you afford to buy your own home on a 10% deposit with your current salary?''....then a rather high number would have to admit they could not. That is the case, even though their wage has increased until recently yoy. The reason? Well, since 1997 wages have increased 88% on average, whilst property prices have increased by 3-400% depending on area. The question should be asked on 'family misfortunes'.

I was going to make this point. I reckon 2/3's of pretty much all OO's all over the country wouldn't be able to buy their own house if it wasn't already paid for.

Would be interesting if there were stats on this kind of thing, that would really hamer home just how OTT HPI has been.

HOLA4416

I was going to make this point. I reckon 2/3's of pretty much all OO's all over the country wouldn't be able to buy their own house if it wasn't already paid for.

Would be interesting if there were stats on this kind of thing, that would really hamer home just how OTT HPI has been.

Yup. It's complete stalemate now.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4417

There was a thread not long back about Coronation Street and how in the real world the people in that programme would not really be able to afford the places they own with the jobs they do - there was actually a story on it. My missus is always commenting on the lovely big houses you see on films and in t.v. series', saying how unrealistic this is - I mean, really, really big detached houses done up to the nines (does that phrase apply to houses?).

While they're nice to look at (probably feeding our desires) none of it is realistic in the slightest. I don't know the point of this - I guess I'm asking your opinion... and if you've any good examples. A bit of Sunday fun, perhaps.

EDIT: ANybody seen this (new?) show 'may the best house win? Some woman is showing her massive property off now... absolutely huge - she's the manager of a laminates company!? I always find it really interesting when I hear about the places people live in, to find out what owners actually DO. More often than not I see white vans or flash cars parked in drives, probably meaning well-paid managers or back-hander manual jobs.

Edited by guitarman001

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Please could someone link to the Corrie thread?

I think it was Emmerdale that was being discussed, that the inhabitants of the village could not afford to live their.

Though TV tends to present a picture of how people live (big house in the country or a leafy suburb), maybe they earned it, maybe they can afford it, it won't be intrinsic to the plot... unless the dissonance between wealth and reality cries out.

HOLA4423

I don't watch TV (but the wife does), just seen a fewinuted of that programme. It was and is a nice house. I think the same re. Eastenders... they turn up with nothing, get a part time job in the Vic as barmaid/cleaner and go on to rent a house/flat that would be way out of kilter with the real world.

The sofa adverts are just as bad. They show a lounge with tons of space and bright surroundings. In reality most peoples lounges are small with not enough room to swing a cat!

HOLA4424

I don't watch TV (but the wife does), just seen a fewinuted of that programme. It was and is a nice house. I think the same re. Eastenders... they turn up with nothing, get a part time job in the Vic as barmaid/cleaner and go on to rent a house/flat that would be way out of kilter with the real world.

There would be no job going at the Queen Vic - it would have shut down because of the smoking ban and because everyone in the East End is Bangladeshi anyway.

HOLA4425