House Price Crash Forum

There's A Ladybird In The House

quine

HOLA441

I realise this is more a Mumsnet type of question but I'm not a member there.

I'm back in Kingston Upon Thames for a couple of weeks and there's a ladybird in the house. How can I help it survive? Would it have been hibernating and come out with all the central heating I've put on? Leave it inside, put it in the loft, or put outside?

HOLA442

There are some weird ladybirds around these days. Instead of black on red , they are red on black. Ugly ones, and they survive no matter what ! I call them the New World Order ladybirds !! I am always finding them on, or behind things.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm back in Kingston Upon Thames for a couple of weeks and there's a ladybird in the house. How can I help it survive? Would it have been hibernating and come out with all the central heating I've put on? Leave it inside, put it in the loft, or put outside?

Depending on what type it is you may not want it to survive. There's been a massive influx of Harlequin ladybirds that are such big eaters of aphids our native ladybirds are finding it difficult to survive.

http://newsandviews.ceh.ac.uk/topics/harlequin_ladybird

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/recognition_and_distinction.htm

HOLA446
HOLA447

You could buy it a des res in the form of ladybird hibernation house - not kidding, I've seen them in the Kew Gardens shop and my sister in law uses them - her ladybirds are apparently very appreciative. They look a bit like a piece of honeycomb but all the little holes are round. And then put it somewhere nice and sheltered in the garden, I guess. :)

HOLA448
HOLA449

It's not big enough to play freckles with

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Thanks all...I knew I could depend on you for some advice here - although when I told Mr Q what I was doing he asked what that was to do with house prices crashing. I had to explain about off topic.

Just come home from a lovely day walking and eating and walking. Ran upstairs to the bathroom where the ladybird was last spotted - AND THERE ARE TWO!

Mrs Bear - I would have bought a ladybird des-res if this was my own home...I've always fancied one. We're back for a week and renting. (Richmond Park looks stunning even at this time of year doesn't it)

So...now what do I do with Mr and Mrs Ladybird? I'm concerned that Mr Q will stand on them as he's not very good at spotting things.

HOLA4415

So...now what do I do with Mr and Mrs Ladybird? I'm concerned that Mr Q will stand on them as he's not very good at spotting things.

I said LEAVE THEM ALONE

If they're on the floor move them to the least used part of your home. They will settle down and have a nice kip somewhere until it's spring proper.

HOLA4416

Depending on what type it is you may not want it to survive. There's been a massive influx of Harlequin ladybirds that are such big eaters of aphids our native ladybirds are finding it difficult to survive.

http://newsandviews....lequin_ladybird

http://www.harlequin...distinction.htm

I wish I had a magnifying glass with me. Seems to be very difficult to tell if they are the dangerous Ladybirds or not.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Thanks all...I knew I could depend on you for some advice here - although when I told Mr Q what I was doing he asked what that was to do with house prices crashing. I had to explain about off topic.

Just come home from a lovely day walking and eating and walking. Ran upstairs to the bathroom where the ladybird was last spotted - AND THERE ARE TWO!Mrs Bear - I would have bought a ladybird des-res if this was my own home...I've always fancied one. We're back for a week and renting. (Richmond Park looks stunning even at this time of year doesn't it)

Free the Kingston Two!

HOLA4419

I'm not worried about a shortage of aphids! :blink:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

We now have (in our rented cottage) between 3 and 4 Ladybirds. I've bought one of those flexible magnifying bits of plastic and checked out the insects and I really can't tell if we have killer-Ladybirds or the kind that you all want in your gardens to get rid of greenfly.

I keep shouting at Mr Q whenever he goes to the loo "watch out for the Ladybirds". If I take a photo will someone here take responsibility and let me know if I need to protect these beasties or get Mr Q to euthanase them?

HOLA4422

Ladybirds are carnivorous beetles!

I'm quite fond of them really but they are carnivores, and pretty tough too with their hard shells!

Not sure the foreign ones will do much for my dad's aphid farm, which was the runner bean plot last year! :huh:

HOLA4423

We now have (in our rented cottage) between 3 and 4 Ladybirds. I've bought one of those flexible magnifying bits of plastic and checked out the insects and I really can't tell if we have killer-Ladybirds or the kind that you all want in your gardens to get rid of greenfly.

I keep shouting at Mr Q whenever he goes to the loo "watch out for the Ladybirds". If I take a photo will someone here take responsibility and let me know if I need to protect these beasties or get Mr Q to euthanase them?

Yes upload a photo and I'll take a look. We had several swarms of the Asian Ladybird (now called the Harlequin) so hopefully, if they are similar to the ones we had, I'll be able to identify them.

HOLA4424

Yes upload a photo and I'll take a look. We had several swarms of the Asian Ladybird (now called the Harlequin) so hopefully, if they are similar to the ones we had, I'll be able to identify them.

I've realised that I don't have my attachment with me for downloading the photos (I'm on holiday). Don't know what to do. One is making it's way along the hallway towards our bedroom. The others are in the bathroom.

HOLA4425

I've realised that I don't have my attachment with me for downloading the photos (I'm on holiday). Don't know what to do. One is making it's way along the hallway towards our bedroom. The others are in the bathroom.

If I were you I'd collect up any ladybirds you can find and take them out of the flat. You really do not want Harlequins breeding inside. I live in Surrey and they are becoming a real problem and odds are these are Harlequins and not our native bug. If they're dark orange with lots of spots I'd say almost definately so.

Sounds as if you'd have a problem killing them (me too) so just leave them outside somewhere to take their chances.

Archived