House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crudeFool

Detecting Fake Gold Coins

Hi

I'm curious to know how you gold coin buyers out there ensure that you buy the geniune article?

I've bought my gold coins from a dealer in Newcastle (Intercoin) and have up until now bought on trust. A post in June/July mentioned the Fisch detector (Fisch Gold Detector), which looks completey foolproof. Does anyone use one of these? I may invest in one of these for Kruggers & Sovereigns, given I'm going to be buying more of them...

If you buy from Baird & Co (or similar companies), do they check the coins themselves before sending them out?

Regards,

crude.

It is impossible to fake all the dimensions of a coin so therefore weight the coins, look at the diameter etc and refer against a coin chart to see if these match.

If not 22k or 24k gold used, the dimensions of the coin will have to be different.

You can aldo buy a gold testing kit from Ebay to work out what k gold a coin is. It will tell you if it is 22k or 24k but for this you would need to file some gold off a coin.

Depends on how trustworthy you are.

Once you have handled real gold coins it is impossible to be fooled. Gold is so dense that the weight is unmistakable, then you have the unique ring of gold. Provided you have one coin you know is real you won't be folled by fakes. Stick to approved dealers like Baird and Chard and you'll be OK.

If you are buying coins informally, I'd avoid Krugers unless you are confident because they are fairly crudely made and would be the most likely to be faked. A Britannia or an Angel is made to extremely high demands of craftsmanship and it would be an industry in its own right to get anywhere near a convincing fake even forgetting the issue of wieght.

Once you handle the real thing you'll understand just how unique gold is.

can you give some prices of what you paid for these items, where from and what they give you?

I ordered the Fisch over a week or so ago 119$ for 2 wallets and 35$ for shipping. Not sure if the order has been processed yet though (not showing on credit card).

The scales are available for £25-30 on ebay including callibration weights and shipping. This is for 0.01g 100g version. Cheaper scales are available, but you will need to get the callibration weights seperately. 0.1g scales are cheaper - though less accurate.

Ebay appears much cheaper than normal e-retail prices. There is a guy that ships from Australia. Search using "0.01g" as your search string.

I ordered the Fisch over a week or so ago 119$ for 2 wallets and 35$ for shipping. Not sure if the order has been processed yet though (not showing on credit card).

The scales are available for £25-30 on ebay including callibration weights and shipping. This is for 0.01g 100g version. Cheaper scales are available, but you will need to get the callibration weights seperately. 0.1g scales are cheaper - though less accurate.

Ebay appears much cheaper than normal e-retail prices. There is a guy that ships from Australia. Search using "0.01g" as your search string.

Fisch arrived today. Had to pay VAT and Royal Mail handling fees on it <_<

Easy to use and all my coins passed :)

btw, the majority of my coins were purchased on ebay, so happy with the results.

Fisch arrived today. Had to pay VAT and Royal Mail handling fees on it <_<

Easy to use and all my coins passed :)

btw, the majority of my coins were purchased on ebay, so happy with the results.

Hi Mongoose

That's really spooky :o - I was just about to PM you to ask if you'd received your Fisch and what you thought of it! How much were the royal mail handling fees if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,

crude

I just went in with crude methods, Measuring diameter and width and weight.matching according to correct details. Only problem is my scales are to 0.1g so might be slightly out :blink: but if they weigh 3.991 g and it says 4.0g on my scales - keeps me happy.

Hi Mongoose

That's really spooky :o - I was just about to PM you to ask if you'd received your Fisch and what you thought of it! How much were the royal mail handling fees if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,

crude

VAT of £11.50 and Handling of £4. I bought £15.50 worth of stamps and posted the card back to the depot. They delivered 2 days later. VAT will be less if you only get 1 wallet though - don't know about handling fees, but I suspect they are fixed.

Fisch is very easy to use. They are made out of some sort of dense plastic. No failures yet (though I had a George V sov stick a little when passing through the slot, it had slightly raised edges)

VAT of £11.50 and Handling of £4. I bought £15.50 worth of stamps and posted the card back to the depot. They delivered 2 days later. VAT will be less if you only get 1 wallet though - don't know about handling fees, but I suspect they are fixed.

Fisch is very easy to use. They are made out of some sort of dense plastic. No failures yet (though I had a George V sov stick a little when passing through the slot, it had slightly raised edges)

I've just won an auction on the US eBay for a Fisch detector (wallet #2) - $62.88 including shipping, so I'm happy (assuming it arrives). I'd imagine I'll get stung for VAT and handling though :angry:

I'll be using mine when I buy from a coin dealer I've been using. Hopefully he won't be too taken aback or annoyed when I subject his goods to my Fisch!

Regards,

crude.

I've just won an auction on the US eBay for a Fisch detector (wallet #2) - $62.88 including shipping, so I'm happy (assuming it arrives). I'd imagine I'll get stung for VAT and handling though :angry:

I'll be using mine when I buy from a coin dealer I've been using. Hopefully he won't be too taken aback or annoyed when I subject his goods to my Fisch!

Regards,

crude.

I searched on ebay, but couldn't find anything :(

Well done on getting it - it's a good price. You might be fine for VAT and handling depending on whats on the customs declaration :ph34r: