House Price Crash Forum

Debate On UK Property Market

Webmaster

HOLA441

Anyone fancy heckling Wriglesworth?

Boom, Bust or Bumping Along - What does the future hold for the UK property market?

Debate at the Property Investor Show 2005 (Excel Centre)

Saturday 24th September 2:00pm in the “Issues Facing Investors Today” Theatre (No. 6)

The property market has reached a turning point in 2005. Although it is unclear which way it is set to turn! The thought-provoking views of our panellists will provide an excellent platform for investors interested in knowing which way the market is heading.

Property pundits and economists are split on whether the market is set to boom – as a result of Self-Invested Personal Pensions (SIPPs) and possibly even London’s winning the Olympics. Or will the market bust under the weight of debt that has fuelled prices doubling over the last few years. Probably the most popular opinion is that prices will flatten out for a while before continuing their inexorable rise over the long term.

· What has happened to property prices over the last year?

· How does the market fare today in terms of prices achieved and volumes of sales?

· Will first-time buyers play as important a role in the future property market or have property investors taken their place for ever?

· How will the market be affected by the introduction of pension changes that allow residential property to benefit from tax relief as of next April (SIPPs)?

· Do the fundamentals – interest rates, debt burden, employment levels, earning’s growth – suggest a recipe for disaster or stability in the market?

Our expert panel will answer these and many more questions. The panel is includes John Wriglesworth, economist and spokesman for property research organisation Hometrack; James Ferguson, economist and regular contributor to Money Week magazine; Richard Bowser, editor of Property Investor News and; Ranjan Bhattacharya, investor and property expert.

The debate will be chaired by Nick Booker of property news and analysis service In2Perspective.

The audience will be mostly made up of property investors who will no doubt have plenty of interesting questions for the panel. Several invited guests – representing a variety of views – will also be present.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
So the panel comprises 3 bulls and 1 bear.  Looks like they'll stampede their way to a 'stagnation' concensus.

Reasoned argument. go to make up numbers..

But only speak if you have clear points to make.

Does there need to be a thresd where clear arguments can be submitted for consideration by people who could go, present their argument well...?

Or should we turn up in numbers and try to offer a different perspective...?

The article suggests that they are aware of things like crushing debt and housing oversupply.. that it was a speculative market..

Chances are there are some very afraid investors that will attend.

If it is to be reported int he press it would be better to stear the argument toward the true economic facts.. then to heckle..

But heckling would be funny..

so swings and roundabouts...

HOLA445

Please forgive me Webmaster, but I had to laugh at this. I loved the title, that it’s pinned, and of all the pinned messages, that it has the lowest replies and views. For a site that is dedicated to the discussion of the UK property market, this is irony at its best.

I jest of course, and the days not over yet :)

ps. I guess wrigglesworth has enough sleepless nights as it is when he reads HPC!

HOLA446
Please forgive me Webmaster, but I had to laugh at this.  I loved the title, that it’s pinned, and of all the pinned messages, that it has the lowest replies and views.  For a site that is dedicated to the discussion of the UK property market, this is irony at its best.

I jest of course, and the days not over yet :)

ps. I guess wrigglesworth has enough sleepless nights as it is when he reads HPC!

Two of the other pinned posts are 0ver 30 days old. The other one is 8 months old. <_<

HOLA447
HOLA448

This was posted on Motley Fool..if you want a free ticket?

If this sort of message isnt allowed then by all means take it down as I dont want to break any fool rules!!! I enjoy your discussion boards immensely and wish I had the time to get more involved in them.

Next weekend the Property Investor Show is at Excel in East London. In2Perspective.com (thats me) are hosting a series of daily debates during the afternoons on the following topics including the opportunity to ask the panel questions. Feel free to get put questions up here if you would like them considered for the show.

"The Race for Gold - What affect will the Olympics have on London's Property Market?" - Friday 23rd at 2.30pm

"Boom, Bust or Bumping Along - What does the future hold for the UK property market" - Saturday 24th at 2pm. Panel includes John Wriglesworth of Hometrack and James Ferguson of Money Week.

"Emerging markets - where and how to make profits" - Sunday 2pm

I have the pleasure of hosting the debates which I am sure will be lively and informative. There will also be a series of panel discussions on SIPPs and the usual mix of informative seminars on all manner of topics.

You can register to attend for free at www.propertyinvestor.co.uk (use promo code in2p for free tickets).

Once again if this is seen to be an unacceptable post I do apologise and quite understand. Just thought it might be of interest to the board members.

yours,

Nick Booker

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9...t=whole#9550412

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411