House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bingobob777

Sell Or Rent

Moving to Australia for 4 years and have a buyer and a renter keen to move in within 6 weeks.

So in the 4 years I'm away what will increase in value more, cash sitting in ISA's, high interest accounts etc (not considering stocks) or the value of my house?

Been over the pros and cons and ultimately this is what it comes down to, any views?

Moving to Australia for 4 years and have a buyer and a renter keen to move in within 6 weeks.

So in the 4 years I'm away what will increase in value more, cash sitting in ISA's, high interest accounts etc (not considering stocks) or the value of my house?

Been over the pros and cons and ultimately this is what it comes down to, any views?

The equation is pretty simple although I am not sure that you are asking the right questions.

What are the costs of selling and then buying a house relative to your expectations for house prices compared to investment and rental returns over the next four years?

Beyond transaction costs, do you want a materially better or worse house than you currently own upon your return in four years' time or do you want to stay put?

once you are able to answer these questions, your choice will become obvious.

The equation is pretty simple although I am not sure that you are asking the right questions.

What are the costs of selling and then buying a house relative to your expectations for house prices compared to investment and rental returns over the next four years?

Beyond transaction costs, do you want a materially better or worse house than you currently own upon your return in four years' time or do you want to stay put?

once you are able to answer these questions, your choice will become obvious.

I agree. plus, don;t forget if you are moving and would get LAFHA for the four years in Australia (and if not, why the hell not), if you sell and have no family home in the UK, you MIGHT not be eligable for it. (obviously you need to get your own advice).

If so, that's a 20% income drop right there!

It has to be rent, always.

also at a lower level if you sold now your gain would be minimised by the poor exchange rate.

Erm i might be wrong but he never mentioned exchanging the money.

You dont know that much about it

Anyway if you want to talk about timing and we are saying that the market is in a slump it is definitely not the right time to sell if you don't have to.

Slumping, the question is how far it will go.

No he didn't but your net wroth is always measured in the country that you are a tax resident of.

I don't think he's looking that far into it.

Besides just don't tell them.

If the value of the house falls over the four year period, you could put the money in a current account and be better off, and 3% is readily obtainable on deposit.

If I were in your position, I'd sell. Holding an illiquid, depreciating, asset on the other side of the world would worry me.

How sure are you that it really will be 4 years, and you won't just be back in 6 months for some reason that it didn't work out?

all good points folks.

To make things clear plan is definitely 4 years only, that's all wife would sign up for. Don't plan on taking cash to Oz, it will sit in some sort of savings account here while we're away.

Anyway have decided to sell, regardless of whether we sold or rent the plan in 4 years would be moving to another part of Glasgow with better schools etc, so on the basis (gamble I know) that house prices will rise less over the next 4 years than my money in the bank I will be in a better position to buy a new property with a pile of cash rather than having to sell a house.

Two main gambles I suppose are what house prices will do and whether we last the 4 years or not. Looks like I'm spending 4 years in Oz hoping for a HPC in the UK laugh.gif