House Price Crash Forum

There Is A Serious Problem With Our Lives

eric pebble

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure that the sum total of human happiness has changed much throughout history. We can't measure it objectively anyway. I do think however that one of the main problems with modern life is the way we are sold 'solutions' to everything. If we just do or buy this or that, our lives will become perfect. The new career, man/woman, job, car, dream house etc will make everything ok. Then when we get the ideal thing, the sense of emptiness and longing is still there.

I believe this wasn't a problem for much of human history because most people had b*gger all and no hope of improvement, so they learned to appreciate the little they had. Our society promotes the idea that happiness can only be attained through material things, when for most of history people realised that it came from spiritual things. I don't mean slavish adherence to religious dogma (which can cause huge unhappiness in itself) I mean love (eros, philos and agape), contemplation, ideas, creativity etc. When I lived in India nobody I knew had a washing machine. Every Saturday they all trooped two miles down the road to the river and spent the morning washing their clothes, then drying them in the sun. They talked, laughed, played cards etc, it was a high point in their week. Yet by western standards, they were impoverished because they didn't have washing machines.

And when He was demanded of the Pharisees, when the Kingdom of God should come, He answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation...for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (St Luke 17:20-21)

I am not sure that the sum total of human happiness has changed much throughout history. We can't measure it objectively anyway. I do think however that one of the main problems with modern life is the way we are sold 'solutions' to everything. If we just do or buy this or that, our lives will become perfect. The new career, man/woman, job, car, dream house etc will make everything ok. Then when we get the ideal thing, the sense of emptiness and longing is still there.

I believe this wasn't a problem for much of human history because most people had b*gger all and no hope of improvement, so they learned to appreciate the little they had. Our society promotes the idea that happiness can only be attained through material things, when for most of history people realised that it came from spiritual things. I don't mean slavish adherence to religious dogma (which can cause huge unhappiness in itself) I mean love (eros, philos and agape), contemplation, ideas, creativity etc. When I lived in India nobody I knew had a washing machine. Every Saturday they all trooped two miles down the road to the river and spent the morning washing their clothes, then drying them in the sun. They talked, laughed, played cards etc, it was a high point in their week. Yet by western standards, they were impoverished because they didn't have washing machines.

And when He was demanded of the Pharisees, when the Kingdom of God should come, He answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation...for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (St Luke 17:20-21)

great post.

You're right, but your points effectively negate the first sentence of your post - you've explained precisely why the sum total of human happiness has decreased. Not because we have more, but because we are always left wanting more.

and if you do not have at least a single child then youre selfish and sub-human.

erm....

so abstaining from parenthood, and allowing more space and opportunity for other people's children to thrive instead is selfish?!?

I'd stop viewing life through a magazine if I were you.

Can I hypothisise that your intelligent friend wined and dined on Alpha Males from 18 - 25 but now age is catching up, and of course the issue of eggs drying up, the man of her dreams will in fact be the Beta Guy that she often told to p*ss off at high school?

The problem for supercilious women is the same as it always has been....there isn't enough alphas to go round.

They may like calling them 'b4stards', but how many times do some of them get involved with a guy knowing full well they're already married/engaged/in a relationship with someone else?

This probably goes some way to explain why 'alphas' typically tend to make bad fathers and husbands, that and their intrinsic sociopathic tendencies.

Most women tend to realise this when they grow up, and suddenly the 'nice guy' becomes a more viable option. Hence why the laws of natural selection isn't applicable to humans. If they did, the so called 'beta' males (or females) wouldn't exist, and no woman would be able to hold on to a 'real' man for more then well as long as it took to discharge their load.

However many men and women just simply refuse to grow up or accept the realities of their situations. This in turn allows those nasty extrinsic influences to plant the seeds of unsatisfaction and unhappiness. Individual expectation and sense of entitlement is often shaped around the individual’s environment/surroundings, which nowadays is mostly artificial.

The problem for supercilious women is the same as it always has been....there isn't enough alphas to go round.

They may like calling them 'b4stards', but how many times do some of them get involved with a guy knowing full well they're already married/engaged/in a relationship with someone else?

This probably goes some way to explain why 'alphas' typically tend to make bad fathers and husbands, that and their intrinsic sociopathic tendencies.

Most women tend to realise this when they grow up, and suddenly the 'nice guy' becomes a more viable option. Hence why the laws of natural selection isn't applicable to humans. If they did, the so called 'beta' males (or females) wouldn't exist, and no woman would be able to hold on to a 'real' man for more then well as long as it took to discharge their load.

However many men and women just simply refuse to grow up or accept the realities of their situations. This in turn allows those nasty extrinsic influences to plant the seeds of unsatisfaction and unhappiness. Individual expectation and sense of entitlement is often shaped around the individual’s environment/surroundings, which nowadays is mostly artificial.

This sort of behaviour is seen in all sorts of mammals and birds.

I think you have a very simplistic view of natural selection and evolutionary theory. Reading up on the concept of phenotypic plasticity might put you on the right path.

This sort of behaviour is seen in all sorts of mammals and birds.

I think you have a very simplistic view of natural selection and evolutionary theory. Reading up on the concept of phenotypic plasticity might put you on the right path.

I'm only presenting a narrow margin to make a very simple point. I'm well aware of the 'sneeky breeders' for example, i.e. the beta stag who gets his end away due to the females getting bored watching the alphas skewering each other all day with their antlers.

Archived