House Price Crash Forum

There Is A Serious Problem With Our Lives

eric pebble

And it happens at all salary levels. You can never have enough money. I know a guy who works for Goldman Sachs and has done for about 14 years. He must be worth quite a few million given some of the positions he held. I know he'd like to sell his London pad and retire to do the things he'd like to do (he's an academic at heart), but wifey still has much more money she wants to spend... so it is impossible.

Another guy I know who was a trader in the 80s and early 90s tried to downsize his life, only to find out that wife of 15 years was straight out the door. Luckily for him, he didn't have any kids so he only lost half.

What is it about the male psyche that allows so many men to be assertive, domineering lions in the workplace only to be transformed into manipulated , down-trodden pussies at home?

Over the years I've also seen these same males (many,aggressive bullies with male colleagues)controlled and easily out-manoeuvred by female secretaries and assistants.

After 15 years how could he be so blind to the true nature of his bond with wifey?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:

"Although everyone wants happiness, most people suffer from tragically mistaken ideas about what brings it.

Worse still, once we decide on what we think will make us happy...whether it be fame or fortune, people or possessions...we tend to become attached to them.

To know happiness and bliss, we need to change our motivation. This means reducing craving for those things that do not bring true happiness and redirecting desires to those that do." ;)

Quote:

"Although everyone wants happiness, most people suffer from tragically mistaken ideas about what brings it.

Worse still, once we decide on what we think will make us happy...whether it be fame or fortune, people or possessions...we tend to become attached to them.

To know happiness and bliss, we need to change our motivation. This means reducing craving for those things that do not bring true happiness and redirecting desires to those that do." ;)

Well said - it's identification with those possessions / status's - "What do you do for a living", identifying YOU as your job..... and this is perpetuated in society (how often do we make judgements of people by the cars they drive ??)

Take a look at my posts on this topic and let me know what you think....

We need to be 'detached' from our possessions.

But alas, that's a VERY hard thing to do in this society - which is why I don't actually wish to live in this country for much longer.

Well said - it's identification with those possessions / status's - "What do you do for a living", identifying YOU as your job..... and this is perpetuated in society (how often do we make judgements of people by the cars they drive ??)

Take a look at my posts on this topic and let me know what you think....

We need to be 'detached' from our possessions.

But alas, that's a VERY hard thing to do in this society - which is why I don't actually wish to live in this country for much longer.

Now, how do we get an entire society to go along with all of that ??

You won't....all you can do is understand yourself and do everything in your power to follow the path that you think is best...people will learn if they want to, some will never learn..........there is no right way or wrong way only your way....

This song although posted before is apt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayfLhc6xdjI

The relative scarcity of work is caused by high house price

Real wages are lowered by high house prices (a downward pressure is applied, so the earner clears less)

Debt is increased by high house prices

Nearly all of our social problems (including the existence of our financial aristocracy) are directly or indirectly caused by the way our culture deals with houses

I can't agree with your first premise that there is a scarcity of work.

There is more than enough work that needs to be done. There are more than enough sustainable resources in the UK to provide for our population. What we've lost sight of is what is needed for a satisfactory life. It isn't just our material needs, they seem to be provided for well enough. In general we all have enough to eat, sufficient clothing and shelter. The basics are met.

Work fulfills our need to give us an identity and purpose. Paid employment may be scarce but even though we may gripe and complain that we are underpaid, overworked, poorly managed and all the rest it establishes our position in the pecking order. We have come to expect that we are entitled to a meaningful and satisfying life. And that someone else is responsible for providing us with it. And that seems to be the crux of the problem: we have lost sight of our own personal responsibility.

As trick5t3r says "Depends on the part you play. You dont have to be in politics to change the world but you could influence it in ways you never imagined possible depending on your skills and abilities. I guess it depends on whether you want to lead or be lead. Likewise people all have a responsibility to society its just many off load responsibility and would rather not be held accountable. Is it ethically right to exploit those people in mankinds development?

You choose to be depressed.

Tell that to families living on rubbish tips next to glittering skyscrapers

You choose to be a victim.

Tell that to a child prostitute on the streets of our own country

You choose to be dumb and controlled.

Tell that to the billions who can't access education

And you choose to be happy.

Airy-fairy, self-reinforcing, self-justifying bullsh*t

No wonder half the world despises us

Wake up Dom, for God's sake

Tell that to families living on rubbish tips next to glittering skyscrapers

Tell that to a child prostitute on the streets of our own country

Tell that to the billions who can't access education

Airy-fairy, self-reinforcing, self-justifying bullsh*t

No wonder half the world despises us

Wake up Dom, for God's sake

With all due respect Tallguy, it's you who needs to wake up.

Nearly everything you've mentioned, *you* see as a 'problem'.

Try seeing a 'problem' as an opportunity.

Try seeing a 'problem' as 'contrast' for what it is you don't want.

Try seeing a 'problem' as an a springboard to grow, evolve to a place / a be-ing that you *do* want......

So, sorry Tallguy, you really do need to wake up.

There are no problems, only opportunities.

Sometimes one needs to emotive words to provoke thought and actions, but I thought it was also aligned with the Spiritual emphasis. ;)

Then what was that then ??

You're not adding anything to this except unneccesary provocation and you started that with your "Song's of Praise" jibe - which, judging by other enlightened souls on here, seems to make you look rather foolish.....

We are disconnected from each other, disconnected from nature, chasing not our dreams, but those of a sociopathic elite where happiness is money and power. No wonder there is so much mental illness.

"You're obliged to pretend respect for people and institutions you think absurd. You live attached in a cowardly fashion to moral and social conventions you despise, condemn, and know lack all foundation. It is that permanent contradiction between your ideas and desires and all the dead formalities and vain pretenses of your civilization which makes you sad, troubled and unbalanced. In that intolerable conflict you lose all joy of life and all feeling of personality, because at every moment they suppress and restrain and check the free play of your powers. That's the poisoned and mortal wound of the civilized world."

From 'The Torture Garden' by Octave Mirbeau

Very good post.

I think the overwhelming problem is that humans have no purpose.

Most of us will achieve very little in our lives, and even if we think we have, in the big scheme we have not. A few along the way achieved something; perhaps someone like Henry Ford being a good example. But often these "achievers" are sociopathic nutters. Henry Ford was aspergic and a sociopath.

High achievers by and large are born with the characteristics which will make them achieve; obsessiveness, ruthlessness and greediness being the prime.

The ordinary people (the 90%) are inert. They are affected by their society, surroundings and culture. They want to get on in life. Of course they relish at the thought of keeping up with the Jones's, but that symptom has been instilled through the culture and the natural human urge to attract a mate.

So the problem with the world which is creating such unhappiness is the sociopaths.

They were there in the medieval period eating grand feasts whilst the peasants starved in the fields.

They were there in WW1 sending the sheeple to their deaths in their tens of thousands, whilst they sipped wine 10 miles away from the battle.

and they are here at the top of our big companies, and running the government, inducing policies which result in mass joblessness and economic misery for the masses.

They are the ones who create the unhappiness, the ones who keep the slave machine running. They do not "feel" emotion towards their fellow human beings, they do not understand the concept because of their sociopathic brains. In the same way a blind man cannot see, a sociopath cannot understand a human being's suffering. It is like a form of autism.

Is this chart supposed to infer that population, globally, has dropped since 1950? If it is, then it's b*llocks.

of course not. It is quite clearly labelled 'fertility'. In any case I didn't say population had fallen, I said population growth is close to stopping.

There is another chart one needs to consider alongside fertility. Here it is:

death-rate.gif

I could tell you what the implications of the graphs are, but you'll probably be more convinced if you work it out for yourself or someone else fills in the obvious for you.

[edit, should have said that this is a chart of global mortality ]

of course not. It is quite clearly labelled 'fertility'. In any case I didn't say population had fallen, I said population growth is close to stopping.

There is another chart one needs to consider alongside fertility. Here it is:

death-rate.gif

I could tell you what the implications of the graphs are, but you'll probably be more convinced if you work it out for yourself or someone else fills in the obvious for you.

[edit, should have said that this is a chart of global mortality ]

You really do have quite a talent for giving the impression of someone who has an overinflated sense of himself. Anyway, that aside...

Given that global mortality has fallen alongside a slowing of fertility rates, the slowing of fertility rates' effect on slowing population growth is completely negated as a consequence. In other words, population growth has continued to climb in the last 50 years at a faster rate than at any time in human history, despite falling fertility rates, precisely because of lower mortality rates.

Thus, your posting of a chart of falling fertility rates is indicative of what exactly?

Or, to put it another way, either you are unaware of the fact that the human population has more than doubled from about 3 billion to very nearly seven billion in the last 50 years, that it took 300 years prior to that point for the population to rise from about half a billion to 3 billion, that it took 5 thousand years to get from about 100 million to half a billion and that the human population, prior to the advent of human civilisation, is estimated to have been around 100 million for around 2 million years (the estimated lifetime of our species).

Or are you fully aware of the above, in which case, I retiterate the question, your posting of a chart of falling fertility rates over the last several decades is indicative of what exactly?

Population growth is indeed close to stopping. But not for the cosy gradualist reasons you are implying. There has been no steadying off of population growth over the last several decades. Precisely the opposiite, as a matter of documented fact. The reason growth will now stop is not due to some natural gradualist peaking of populations.

It's because the human population has just hit a wall of resource constraints. It's not going to gently peak and decline. It's going to crash and burn

pop2chart.jpg

Poulation-since-10000BC.jpg

Here is a graph of world population since forever.

fig_2.png

Can you identify any previous points at which world population has plummeted?

I see long periods of stable population numbers, and but two sudden phase changes in population numbers.

I think you underestimate the degree to which people can moderate their demand for physical goods that cost significant energy, when the circumstances dictate.

Here is a graph of world population since forever.

fig_2.png

Can you identify any previous points at which world population has plummeted?

I see long periods of stable population numbers, and but two sudden phase changes in population numbers.

I think you underestimate the degree to which people can moderate their demand for physical goods that cost significant energy, when the circumstances dictate.

Firstly, I note the chart you have posted does not employ a consistent scale on the X axis. Why is that I wonder?

Secondly, I also note that you do not now appear to wish to pursue your ridiculous assertion that slowing fertility rates over the last several decades is an indication of the global population growth rate slowing during that time.

Thirdly, of course the human population has not significantly plummeted globally over the last several thbousand years prior to the industrial revolution. This is becase of ever expanding territory for that population to grow into. This process has been further amplified by the use of hydrocarbons in the last 250 years whoch have allowed territories, previously unable to support large populations, now being used for that purpose as well as other, more fertile regions being overfarmed to the point where they are now efectively biologically dead regions without the use of hydrocarbon based farming techniques.

Howwever, within that global history of the growth of human civilisation (and population)over the last 5 thousand years, there are numerable examples of populations crtashes at the regional level. These were masked only becase of the capacity of the human population to migrate and repopulate new territories.

It may have esacaped your notice but there are no new territories. Further, the territories we now occupy (that being all of them) are completely maxed-out in terms of resource exploitation, due to the massive energy inputs of hydrocarbons.

Do you deny that the human population has grown at a faster rate over the last 300 years than at any point in it's history and that the greatest rate of growth in that 300 years has been in the last fifty years?

Yes or no.

If the answer is yes, I take it you will retract your earlier preosterous assertion that the growth of the human population has been slowing off over the last several decades.

Firstly, I note the chart you have posted does not employ a consistent scale on the X axis. Why is that I wonder?

I didn't construct that chart. Feel free to present your own.

Secondly, I also note that you do not now appear to wish to pursue your ridiculous assertion that slowing fertility rates over the last several decades is an indication of the global population growth rate slowing during that time.

You need to pull your horns in, because you have not an evidential leg to stand on.

To whit:

worldgr.gif

While the growth rate remains , just about, positive, the trend is exceedingly obvious to all except those who for some reason wish to bury their head in the sand.

I didn't construct that chart. Feel free to present your own.

You need to pull your horns in, because you have not an evidential leg to stand on.

To whit:

worldgr.gif

While the growth rate remains , just about, positive, the trend is exceedingly obvious to all except those who for some reason wish to bury their head in the sand.

Do you deny that the human population 6000 years ago has been formally estimated by world authorities to be around no more than 0.1 billion going back for the majority of the history of our species (around 2 million years)

Yes or no?

Do you deny that in the last 6000 years up to around 1750 the population rose from 0.1 billion to no more than about 0.7 billion? Again this is the best internationally agreed estimate.

Yes or no?

Do you deny that since 1750, the population has risen from around 0.7 billion to very nearly 7 billion?

Yes or no?

Do you deny that, of that 6.2 billion rise in the population, over half of it has occured in just the last 50 years?

Yes or no?

I can point you to internationally recognised bodies that will corroborate each and every single figure given above. However, as you so pretentiously pointed out in one of your previous posts, it would be far more edcuational an experiennce for you if you perhaps made the effort to look for yourself before making the ridiculous assertions you have made so far.

You talk a good talk Scepticus. However, when it comes to backing up that talk with facts, it seems you have some considerable work to do

Do you deny that, of that 6.2 billion rise in the population, over half of it has occured in just the last 50 years?

I'm sure that is correct. But you have your maths confused here.

One can have a strongly rising population the overlaps for a time with a strongly slowing growth rate. This is because numbers compound.

Equally unequivocally to all the figures you present, the global growth rate has slowed drastically in the last 50 years, and is trending to zero. Yes or no?

I'm sure that is correct. But you have your maths confused here.

One can have a strongly rising population the overlaps for a time with a strongly slowing growth rate. This is because numbers compound.

Equally unequivocally to all the figures you present, the global growth rate has slowed drastically in the last 50 years, and is trending to zero. Yes or no?

I am well aware of growth rates, Scepticus.

However, it may have escaped your notice, but the population has doubled in the last fity years from just over 3 billion to nearly 7 billion you muppet... :lol:

In the last fity years, the population has increased by an amount that it took over 6000 years to increase by previously

Stick to econo-babble scepticus. Your particular brand of bullsh*t is more likely to suceeed in that arena....

Archived