House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eric pebble

There Is A Serious Problem With Our Lives

THERE IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH OUR LIVES:

There have been many articles in the press recently about mental depression....

Depression in women is rampant

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/213536.php

How many of you think there is a very direct causal relationship between the manifest unhappiness of many people out there - and house prices & the consequent high/unsustainable cost of living?

I think it is another Elephant in the Room --- [i.e. sitting alongside the LIAR LOANS phenomenon....]

http://www.medicalne...cles/213536.php

How many of you think there is a very direct causal relationship between the manifest unhappiness of many people out there - and house prices & the consequent high/unsustainable cost of living?

I think it is another Elephant in the Room --- [i.e. sitting alongside the LIAR LOANS phenomenon....]

More likely this and being conned into thinking sexual equality was doing the girls a favour.

Why be a stay at home mother, looking after your family, spending time with your friends, having a good old gas over the mangle when you too can be a corporate tool.

But...but...but... think of all the Jimmy Choos I can buy....but..............but :rolleyes:

pressure to compete, pressure to look and BE young, pressure in the media....its all to get you to spend...and if you cant...you are outcast in your own mind.

You should all read "The Society of the Spectacle" by Guy Debord!

Doesn't make much sense in parts! But still! :blink:

More likely this and being conned into thinking sexual equality was doing the girls a favour.

Why be a stay at home mother, looking after your family, spending time with your friends, having a good old gas over the mangle when you too can be a corporate tool.

But...but...but... think of all the Jimmy Choos I can buy....but..............but :rolleyes:

That's a drum I have been banging for some time. Where we are now economy and quality of life wise for me is a result of women liberation. Not that it is a bad thing but we threw the baby out with the bath water on that one, what we should have had was gender equality what we got was the same rights for women as men had. Men had too many women had too few there should have been balance, of course it was never going to happen that way and ultimately women will see wanting what a man had wasn't really all it was cracked up to be.

As for quality for life, I agree there must be a single date in the past which was the zenith for quality of life, I suspect it was some time in the late 50's early 60's. An honest days work for an honest days pay and all that..... it got progressively better from the terrible conditions the common man had to endure for most of human history and now it's going in reverse.

The great challenge then was an improvement in conditions to tackle physical heath, now and in the future it will be mental health which is the great issue.

A contributory factor at the very least. I would think the strain put on people because they can't afford their own private space is also a huge problem. How many pi**ed off parents with children at home are there or people forced to share in houses with as much privacy as a glass toilet? Wheres the dignity?

That's a drum I have been banging for some time. Where we are now economy and quality of life wise for me is a result of women liberation. Not that it is a bad thing but we threw the baby out with the bath water on that one, what we should have had was gender equality what we got was the same rights for women as men had. Men had too many women had too few there should have been balance, of course it was never going to happen that way and ultimately women will see wanting what a man had wasn't really all it was cracked up to be.

As for quality for life, I agree there must be a single date in the past which was the zenith for quality of life, I suspect it was some time in the late 50's early 60's. An honest days work for an honest days pay and all that..... it got progressively better from the terrible conditions the common man had to endure for most of human history and now it's going in reverse.

The great challenge then was an improvement in conditions to tackle physical heath, now and in the future it will be mental health which is the great issue.

WTF are you on about?

+1

http://www.medicalne...cles/213536.php

Look at it in reverse.

Does having more money (financial security) make you happier?

Of course it does!

They say that one in five will suffer from depression or some form of mental illness in their lives....more often than not mild depression passes as quickly as it comes, it can be triggered by all sorts of things such as, things being out of control in your life, things not going to plan, sudden changes and loss......when you are feeling down and feeling sorry for yourself you feel as if you are the only one feeling as you do, you think everyone else is happy and in control....but they are not, feelings mostly pass, it takes time and requires some strength and some support......talking to people who know and understand helps offload some of the pain.

A bright light is at the end of the tunnel...be open, be yourself and don't be ashamed of being who you are. ;)

I have not been that joyous since selling up in 2003 TBH.

More than just owning a place--it a sense of lack of communihyt when you have to move due to job.

I think there is general malaise everywhere because there is NO point to life. Born--live and struggle--die. PC, atheism and relativism has done a number on the national psyche.

Look at it in reverse.

Of course it does!

depends if the money you have is unencumbered or not.

We are disconnected from each other, disconnected from nature, chasing not our dreams, but those of a sociopathic elite where happiness is money and power. No wonder there is so much mental illness.

"You're obliged to pretend respect for people and institutions you think absurd. You live attached in a cowardly fashion to moral and social conventions you despise, condemn, and know lack all foundation. It is that permanent contradiction between your ideas and desires and all the dead formalities and vain pretenses of your civilization which makes you sad, troubled and unbalanced. In that intolerable conflict you lose all joy of life and all feeling of personality, because at every moment they suppress and restrain and check the free play of your powers. That's the poisoned and mortal wound of the civilized world."

From 'The Torture Garden' by Octave Mirbeau

WTF are you on about?

He means those women libbers have priced people out of owning houses because of joint income mortgages and they are taking the jobs of men instead of staying at home and doing the washing etc.

We are disconnected from each other, disconnected from nature, chasing not our dreams, but those of a sociopathic elite where happiness is money and power. No wonder there is so much mental illness.

"You're obliged to pretend respect for people and institutions you think absurd. You live attached in a cowardly fashion to moral and social conventions you despise, condemn, and know lack all foundation. It is that permanent contradiction between your ideas and desires and all the dead formalities and vain pretenses of your civilization which makes you sad, troubled and unbalanced. In that intolerable conflict you lose all joy of life and all feeling of personality, because at every moment they suppress and restrain and check the free play of your powers. That's the poisoned and mortal wound of the civilized world."

From 'The Torture Garden' by Octave Mirbeau

Yes, it's from The Torture Garden but admit it, you actually got it from the inlay of a certain 1994 album ;)

They say that one in five will suffer from depression or some form of mental illness in their lives....more often than not mild depression passes as quickly as it comes, it can be triggered by all sorts of things such as, things being out of control in your life, things not going to plan, sudden changes and loss......when you are feeling down and feeling sorry for yourself you feel as if you are the only one feeling as you do, you think everyone else is happy and in control....but they are not, feelings mostly pass, it takes time and requires some strength and some support......talking to people who know and understand helps offload some of the pain.

A bright light is at the end of the tunnel...be open, be yourself and don't be ashamed of being who you are. ;)

+1

It has been shown that people repeatedly overestimate how long an emotional state (be that happy or sad) will last too.

Cameron is spending £2m on measuring happiness.

Luckily there is no danger of it returning a low figure and depressing people because of the weighting factors. Some people's happiness rating counts as multiples of other people.

x 100 People doing the measure and sharing the £2m

x 75 Anyone earning more than £10m

x 50 Anyone earning more than £1m

x 25 Anyone with a paid up mortgage

People renting or living with parents will not be asked for their views and are excluded from the measure

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11833241

Maybe, but be careful of the rose tinted specs - the late 50s was a time when by today's standards people didn't really have a lot: often no fridge or telephone, never mind foreign holidays.

Although conditions are genuinely now going in reverse (for the West - not the East) they are in many respects light years ahead of most of human history, and maybe the 50s too.

I think there is general malaise everywhere because there is NO point to life. Born--live and struggle--die. PC, atheism and relativism has done a number on the national psyche.

But as well as "live and struggle" surely you can also "live and have fun"?

Kick a football round the park, snuggle up with your loved one and a DVD, get fish and chips on the promenade? There is so much fun possible in life, most of it for very little cost (and nothing to do with houses or house prices).

Kick a football round the park, snuggle up with your loved one and a DVD, get fish and chips on the promenade? There is so much fun possible in life, most of it for very little cost (and nothing to do with houses or house prices).

...but if someone is depressed, they may not be able to get out of bed to kick a football, they may have lost their kids to kick the football to or they may not be fit enough to kick a football....they may not have someone to snuggle up to, live near the sea or a fish and chip shop......and if they do not have the money to pay the rent/mortgage it does have something to do with houses and house prices. ;)

Look at it in reverse.

Of course it does!

But under the present system one person's money :) must be another's debt. :(

These small things become enjoyable and life enhancing, if you don't have a giant, immovable security / cost problem to worry about.

Most of it

The relative scarcity of work is caused by high house price

Real wages are lowered by high house prices (a downward pressure is applied, so the earner clears less)

Debt is increased by high house prices

Nearly all of our social problems (including the existence of our financial aristocracy) are directly or indirectly caused by the way our culture deals with houses

But under the present system one person's money :) must be another's debt. :(

Succinct point with which I agree entirely.