House Price Crash Forum
WorkingForTheMan

Damp - What To Do?

Moved into house 6 months ago, all appeared fine at the time (summer). Since winter, severe penetrating damp down one wall (kitchen and bedroom). Spreads across wall in severe downpours/snow etc. Has got progressively worse since October, and has never dried up.

LL has maintenance contract with our letting agent who have come out several times at our request and bodged up the guttering etc (to no effect). Agents have now said this is a major issue and so falls out of thier maintenance contract. At LA's request landlord has sent round builders who came for 5 minutes then disappeared. Asked LA for an update and they said landlords builders report 'everything is ok'(!)

What to do now? Do i have any powers at all, or am i just going to have to move out? It seems I am pretty much powerlesss, can't withold rent, but this is obviously a major issue i can't sort out myself. Having to sleep in a bedroom with one wall soaking wet all the time is not pleasant :(

Hi. I had this same issue in a previous rented flat I lived in. LL was useless; LA even worse so I read thru my tenancy agreement and noticed the part about a 4 week notice of termination. I wrote the below letter to my LL and LA (sorry for the long reply):

==============

xxx xxxxxxxx

xxx xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxx

Belfast

31st December 2008

To Whom It May Concern,

As per our tenancy agreement signed in April 2008 please take this letter as our 4 week notice of termination of the contract in the above mentioned accommodation.

We have tried on numerous occasions to have various issues with our home fixed or repaired and have come to end of our patience with the mounting issues that always fail to be addressed.

These include:

1) Damp in the living room; spare room, bedroom and kitchen all left untreated; or painted over with the wrong colour of paint which is unsightly and fails to fix the issue and which is detrimental to xxxxxx’s health who suffers from severe asthma.

2) The emergency stairwell outside the flat has a huge hole in the bottom set of steps that xxxxxx fell through late at night leaving out rubbish and is totally unsafe;

3) The boiler issue in the flat is unacceptable. There is never hot water when we need it (before 8am and after 6pm) and we have been travelling to friends’ houses in order to wash on a daily basis! Dishes are washed with boiled kettle water and we refuse to ‘live’ in accommodation like this.

4) Tiling in the main hallway of the building is still not finished – after been given assurances this would be completed within weeks of moving in.

5) Paint work outside our door to our flat is still not finished and looks unsightly whenever visitors arrive – bare plaster work is visible but again this was promised to be completed within weeks of moving in.

We have been exemplary tenants who pay rent on time and never missed one payment, with no issues reported against us by neighbours or other tenants in the building and feel we have been treated very poorly in this situation. Therefore as mentioned above please take this letter as our notice of cancellation.

==============

Yes we got a bit pernickity about silly things like paint work and communal tiling in the flat but we we're at the end of our tether with the living conditions we had so stuck the lot in our letter.

We posted it off and received a nice big letter back threatening all sorts of court actions etc etc if we did not complete the tenancy and that best of all the 4 week termination was only something that could be used by LL's and not tenants!! WTF!!

Anyways in the mean time we had been to CAB with our pictures we had taken of the flat, mould everywhere, dangerous fire escape etc, and they said to us just to write another letter back to LL/LA advising them we had sought advise from CAB and would vigourously contest and court action they took.

Needless to say we didnt hear back from them and to my delight the LL's development compant recently went tits up in the courts and is now bankrupt WOOHOO!!

Sorry for the long reply - but you could give it a go as it worked perfectly for me.

Or... do what we did. Cancel the direct debit. 2 days later lots of things swing into motion.

Edit: And explain it with a letter too in the vein of the above. Delivered by registered post / hand to LL AND LA.

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

Moved into house 6 months ago, all appeared fine at the time (summer). Since winter, severe penetrating damp down one wall (kitchen and bedroom). Spreads across wall in severe downpours/snow etc. Has got progressively worse since October, and has never dried up.

LL has maintenance contract with our letting agent who have come out several times at our request and bodged up the guttering etc (to no effect). Agents have now said this is a major issue and so falls out of thier maintenance contract. At LA's request landlord has sent round builders who came for 5 minutes then disappeared. Asked LA for an update and they said landlords builders report 'everything is ok'(!)

What to do now? Do i have any powers at all, or am i just going to have to move out? It seems I am pretty much powerlesss, can't withold rent, but this is obviously a major issue i can't sort out myself. Having to sleep in a bedroom with one wall soaking wet all the time is not pleasant :(

Get onto your council explaining the problem and that the landlord and agents are doing nothing about it, they'll come out and have a look and if its that bad will deem it unfit for human habitation and force the landlord to have remedial work done or make provision for alternative accomodation.