House Price Crash Forum
Pole

Motorists Are Being Warned

What will we base our future on???? Why do the British people allow global corporations such as Heineken to rob them off their wealth and heritage???

Even though I'm Polish it's still quite sad to see such short-sighted practices.

Abnormal loads in Hampshire as brewery moves to Poland (BBC LINK)

Motorists are being warned to expect a number of abnormal loads on the roads in Hampshire as a brewery moves its equipment to Poland.

The former Courage Brewery in Reading shut last year with its owners Heineken deciding to move operations abroad.

_50795478_berkshirebrewery.jpg

The economics of it are mad, beer is almost entirely made of water extracted from beneath the brewery, presumably hundreds of lorries will now be bringing beer from Poland to the UK every day. What about this "carbon footprint" thingy?

Or support local micro breweries. If there's no pub nearby that sells micro-breweries' products, buy bottled booze produced in your area and sup it at home.

I'n partial to a cider. Gwynt y Ddraig and Taffy Apples are both very good (South Wales).

I wonder how much high property prices in Reading and thus the need to pay (almost) London wages, determined the decision to move.

Allow them?

We want to pay low rates for consumer goods (the one place inflation has been low over the last 10-15 years) yet get paid more than asia and eastern europe

Why do the chinese 'allow' themselves to work for so little?

We accept the reality we exist in. The problem is, so does everyone else, so we have little choice in a globalised economy.

Why do the chinese 'allow' themselves to work for so little?

Because they believe it's better than the alternative.

Britons do the same. They do what they believe is better but it's non-work in our case.

Does anyone open new factories in the UK anymore? Apart from the Govt subsidized Solar panel plant?

Amazingly there are still factories up here, in fact I can see one (a textile works if I'm not mistaken) from where I am typing this. Its amazing how these pockets of industry have escaped our City "wealth creators."

I don't really see a problem.

However I suggest there is an export tax on relocating machinery of 200% of the saleable cost.

I don't really see a problem.

However I suggest there is an export tax on relocating machinery of 200% of the saleable cost.

Doubtless the British workforce will be required to train their Polish replacements? Interesting though that the BBC chose to publish this as almost a "motoring" story.

Edited by Sir John Steed

What will we base our future on???? Why do the British people allow global corporations such as Heineken to rob them off their wealth and heritage???

Even though I'm Polish it's still quite sad to see such short-sighted practices.

Abnormal loads in Hampshire as brewery moves to Poland (BBC LINK)

Motorists are being warned to expect a number of abnormal loads on the roads in Hampshire as a brewery moves its equipment to Poland.

The former Courage Brewery in Reading shut last year with its owners Heineken deciding to move operations abroad.

Company moves operation from one place to another, because it's cheaper

Countries don't exist

Rents do

I wouldnt worry about it, the UK isnt going to loose anything. The majority of the brewing at reading was Fosters so its no real loss to the UK brewing industry.

To be honest the Uk has some great brewing successes and this is not one of them

Company moves operation from one place to another, because it's cheaper

Countries don't exist

Rents do

+1

Good news for Reading landowners then.

Workers can move.

Land can't.

Time to raise the rents?

Edited by Dorkins

If oil keeps going up in price will the cost of producing in Poland be nullified or isn't the output produced at this brewery no longer needed in the UK and will produce products for the Eastern European market?

This is a significant point. Globalisation requires cheap transport and is therefore doomed. Burning oil to transport water to the UK is both stupid and will soon be economically unviable.

I wouldnt worry about it, the UK isnt going to loose anything. The majority of the brewing at reading was Fosters so its no real loss to the UK brewing industry.

To be honest the Uk has some great brewing successes and this is not one of them

+1. I can't believe there were many jobs there. The beer factory (brewery is perhaps the wrong term) was a good example of the miserable fosters/brightale/mcwanslager/skol mega conglomerate swill.

EDIT: in fact there were 362 workers, but "the staged closure over two years meant many of the 362 workers managed to find new jobs or were redeployed within the company."

Edited by dryrot

Maybe not great beer / lager but quite a few jobs and I assume product for export, it was a fairly large operation.

On that point. Is something produces in the UK, for a foreign owned company actually classed as a UK export ?

The taxes will go to the UK. However the profits will not. So I see it as sort of a UK export, but sort of not.

On that point. Is something produces in the UK, for a foreign owned company actually classed as a UK export ?

The taxes will go to the UK. However the profits will not. So I see it as sort of a UK export, but sort of not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/berkshire/8600622.stm

States that Scottish and Newcastle shut it due to falling beer sales. I suppose they are just selling the mega-brew kit. They can satisfy demand from existing, local breweries.

But I drink Fullers anyway: screw the mega-beer-makers

Agreed.

Fosters is absolute p*ss and does not even bear any relation even to the original Australian product.

Still plenty of decent beer brewed in the UK. Hopefully, it will create gap in the market for some of the other smaller suppliers

Anyway it is crazy decision as much of the cost in brewing is simply transporting the product to market and that element is tending ever higher