House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wherebee

Thinking Outside The Box - Car Hire

Right you lot - you are smart people (well......not the bulls, but hey). Challenge question is:

I need to hire a car every 6 months for a solid 2 weeks at a time to move relatives (don't ask). Will need to do this for the next ten years.

Hire car of the right size is between 600-1000 pounds each time, but this includes insurance and peace of mind over reliability

I could buy a car, but I have nowhere secure to store it when I am not using it and would have to pay road tax, insurance etc on top

I can't borrow from mates as no one has a 'spare' for such a long period

Ideas?

Ideas?

What kind of ideas are you looking for? :)

If it's advice on which option to take, then surely you're the person with all the numbers and you can work out which is cheaper over the 10 year period.

PS Personal opinion: if you are really going to be using this car once every 6 months, then it won't be good for the car to spend so long without moving...

10k over 10 years ? Better off buying one perhaps ?

And in the intervening periods you could lend to one of your mates - rather than the other way around ? They look after all the running costs/repairs/insurance etc.. You just use it once a year when required.

Better deal for you and better deal for your mate ?

Right you lot - you are smart people (well......not the bulls, but hey). Challenge question is:

I need to hire a car every 6 months for a solid 2 weeks at a time to move relatives (don't ask). Will need to do this for the next ten years.

Hire car of the right size is between 600-1000 pounds each time, but this includes insurance and peace of mind over reliability

I could buy a car, but I have nowhere secure to store it when I am not using it and would have to pay road tax, insurance etc on top

Ideas?

Take a trip to a different car dealer every six months after researching which model they sell has the highest profit margin.

Suggest that you are interested in said model and include a long list of extras you would like.

Then drop hints that you are buying on behalf of an unnamed very very rich celebrity who insists on a two week test drive before the deal can go ahead.

Odds on you get a free motor for two weeks most times, just remember which one you've been to before ;)

Ideas?

DIGNITAS!

If you're genuinely not going to use the car for the rest of the time, then there's no point buying one - unless you can come to an arrangement with someone else who has a similar need...

Have you considered a car hire club? Depends where you are in the country, and whether your 2 weeks is 2 weeks solid (driving around the country sight seeing for example) or 2 weeks of taking them to and fro around a city on errands/visiting people...

It depends on the mileage, and how you're going to use the car, but Commonwheels, and Citycarclub are 2 lots that offer the service - but it probably wouldn't work out financially viable if you're planning on long trips for a fortnight in one - for that, it's worth trying to negotiate a deal with a car hire co.

Streetcar might be just what you need. They do weekly rates, which include 200 miles/day fuel allowance. They have cars, people carriers and vans, though the vans only have 30 miles/day allowance, after that, it's 23p/mile.

If you book far in advance there should be no bother getting a car for that length of time either...

http://www.streetcar.co.uk/pricing-1page.aspx

Ideas?

Which countries will the car be driving through (just taking a guess at it travelling overseas based on your location)? Have you considered the hire cost from different countries if that is the case?

Will the car be in use continually over the full 2 week duration or sporadically?

If it is the same route each 6 months then surely you could come to some agreement with a company based on loyalty?

Bit more detail of the situation may help tailor advice.

Ideas?

What is the "right size" exactly?

That's a lot of dosh for 2 weeks car hire, you can do much better unless you really need to hire a full 7-seater or larger. I just checked, for a Vauxhall Zafira it's about 400 quid with Easycar.

Go for the maximum excess and use someone like "Insurance4carhire" to cover that risk, this will lower overall insurance costs.

Ideas?

Where do you live. I have an Audi A6 which I don't drive much and could easily do without for a couple of weeks for the right price.

Where do you live. I have an Audi A6 which I don't drive much and could easily do without for a couple of weeks for the right price.

And my faith in humanity has been lifted !! :)

buy one on ebay. flog it after.

- edit: haha, quick search for a volvo: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-VOLVO-740-ESTATE-TURBO-DIESEL-/140499091230?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20b665ff1e

originally bought this car 6 months ago to move house as it worked out cheaper than van hire. The plan was to sell it as soon as move was done, but it was such a good runner I decided to keep it. It's been fantastic, especially for picking up new furniture and appliances and I've saved loads on delivery charges. Sadly, no longer needed as I have another car.

:D

buy one on ebay. flog it after.

Yes, this would be my choice too, I bought my last car on eBay and it has served me well for 5 years now. At the same time I sold my last car on eBay and it is still on the road now. For £285 the buyer got a good deal.

I have bought items on eBay before, and subsequently sold them on eBay and I have found that I have invariably sold them for more than I paid for them in the first place simply by writing a better description and taking better photos.

Yes, this would be my choice too, I bought my last car on eBay and it has served me well for 5 years now. At the same time I sold my last car on eBay and it is still on the road now. For £285 the buyer got a good deal.

I have bought items on eBay before, and subsequently sold them on eBay and I have found that I have invariably sold them for more than I paid for them in the first place simply by writing a better description and taking better photos.

Potential income stream ? Although you will be up against lots of competition !!

Still if you seem to have a knack for it then why not. Would beat other work for interest factor.

Potential income stream ? Although you will be up against lots of competition !!

Still if you seem to have a knack for it then why not. Would beat other work for interest factor.

My girlfriend often buys stuff at boot fairs and sells it on eBay but she is far more astute at spotting the chance of a mark-up than I am, and even then she only makes pocket money from it. If I see, say, a porcelain duck at a boot sale then I have absolutely no idea if there would be a profit to be made from it, I have made a profit trading in vintage amusement machines in the past but nowhere near enough to make a living.

Wow! great ideas all - thanks.

I'm going to be using it in the SE of England (mostly) each year, with around 500-1000 miles of total travel each voyage. no trips outside UK (except maybe eire.)

re hire rates, I need a big car due to the sheer amount of luggage/kit needed :angry:

A van wouldn't sort the mobility issues - a minibus might, although my needs tend to be around christmas and summer, when I expect that clubs etc need their kit. amazing idea though.

I could buy and lend to a mate, yes - nice idea, i will explore if anyone needs one

The offer to use/hire the Audi - awesome, thank you so much; feel free to drop me a line if you are serious. Insurance would be an issue (I have a perfectly clean record, but live overseas for much of the year)

I know sweet FA about cars, so ebay would end up in a flaming deathtrap of doom at some point over the decade

Car hire firms really don't seem to do loyalty much, but I guess writing to head offices couldn't help

thanks again - plenty for me to think of