House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Bbc Waste Of Money

Disagree entirely Welsh and Gaelic are important cultural treasures of the British Isles and only a complete philistine would fail to see that. I don't speak either language myself but if they are to remain living languages, then they need to be part of everyday discourse.

You are only parading your ignorance by making a post like this.

They are about to cut 20% of all their budget. I'd rather see something like this go first.

You obviously have never seen that episode of Star Trek when a giant angry whale hovers over Earth threatening to destroy it until it gets to speak Welsh to other whales!? :blink:

film not episode.

LOL

I see your point but there is only one person in Wales who speaks only welsh.

let BBC wales be funded by an additional tax on the welsh.

I bet it costs less that 'strictly come dancing' (meaningless entertainment) that should be run by ITV.

I think that the BBC should support things that aren't 'mass popular'.

The 'mass popular' content should belong to ITV, Sky, etc.

+1 no brainer really.

OP just confirmed their Philistine status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language 21% speak it apparently, Scots is a much smaller proportion but I bet just one episode of one celebrity *****-fest would more than pay for both sites for a year.

Disagree entirely Welsh and Gaelic are important cultural treasures of the British Isles and only a complete philistine would fail to see that. I don't speak either language myself but if they are to remain living languages, then they need to be part of everyday discourse.

Why, what for?

I thought language was there to facilitate communication. If it needs external influences to keep it alive it is failing in its primary function and as such should be allowed to die out.

Let people choose what they want to speak.

+1 no brainer really.

OP just confirmed their Philistine status.

http://en.wikipedia..../Welsh_language 21% speak it apparently, Scots is a much smaller proportion but I bet just one episode of one celebrity *****-fest would more than pay for both sites for a year.

As their primary means of communication or as a means to wind tourists up?

As their primary means of communication or as a means to wind tourists up?

to wind tourists up.

Figures for the number of Welsh speakers are terribly suspect.

Theres no way in South Wales , where nearly all the population of Wales lives, that 1 in 5 people speaks welsh.

More like 1 in 100.

Any way even 21% did speak Welsh full time that only means around 600,000 people, not even a big city, and all of them speak English too.

to wind tourists up.

Figures for the number of Welsh speakers are terribly suspect.

Theres no way in South Wales , where nearly all the population of Wales lives, that 1 in 5 people speaks welsh.

More like 1 in 100.

Any way even 21% did speak Welsh full time that only means around 600,000 people, not even a big city, and all of them speak English too.

I don't know where you live but it doesn't seem like it's Cardiff. Welsh medium schools in the capital are over-subscribed and there are massive pressures to open more.

It's the same culprits who continuously denigrate the Welsh/Gaelic languages on here continuously......TMT, Sara Bell, and Cardiffone being the most notable. As one poster on here correctly described them.....'Philistines'. Couldn't agree more. :)

http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Education&F=1&id=12861

There has been an unprecedented increase in demand in Cardiff for Welsh medium education while there are surplus places in English medium schools. The Council must ensure that there are enough places for all those who wish to receive their education through the medium of Welsh while at the same time eliminating surplus school places in English medium schools.

;)

Edited by Caius