House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

It's All Unravelling At Fifa

Will the 2022 WC be awarded to someone else? If it goes ahead, will we see players potentially going on strike? Unbelievable...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9360977.stm

Asian football chief Mohamed Bin Hammam has ruled out moving the 2022 World Cup in Qatar from summer to winter or sharing matches around the Gulf region. Fifa has said a request from the Qatar Football Association is needed for date changes to be discussed, which Bin Hammam has insisted will not happen. He also dismissed any chance of a "Gulf World Cup", as suggested by the Uefa president Michel Platini this week.

"We're not interested. Qatar can stand alone and organise by itself," he said.

"We are very happy and we are promising the world that we are going to organise an amazing World Cup in June and July," the Asian Football Confederation president, who is from Qatar, added.

Frenchman Platini - who is on the Fifa committee - said the 2022 World Cup should be shared around other Gulf countries because of Qatar's relatively small size, while Fifa president Sepp Blatter has expressed a desire to switch it to winter because of summer temperatures that can hit 50C. But Bin Hammam, who has been tipped as a successor to Blatter, said both were wrong to suggest potential changes so openly.

"I'm really not very impressed by these opinions to distribute the game over the Gulf or change the time from July to January," he said.

"It's actually premature. It's people's opinions and they're just discussing it on no basis or no ground.

"It's not up to one, two or three members of Fifa to talk about changing the time without getting the real stakeholders' opinions.

"I know that football in Europe has quite a history, it is quite a business involving a lot of financial, media, marketing - a lot of things.

"It is unfair to these people that we talk about changing the calendar or the time without their full consultation and their full approval and their full agreement - I'm actually not happy to see that happening without the real stakeholders' part of this discussion."

On Thursday, Iran's coach, Afshin Ghotbi, said it would be better to re-open the contest than to allow other Gulf nations to co-host with Qatar.

"I think if they are now talking about sharing it with other countries, I think it is very unfair to the United States, to Australia, all the other countries that were bidding at the same time," he suggested.

"My feeling is if they want to take a decision on that then they should go back to the bidding countries and ask them to bid again.

"Qatar has shown it can host it, so it should be here and it should be in the winter time - that is a logical change, but it is not fair to talk about changing the venues at this stage."

Qatar has insisted that its small size will be an advantage as it will enable visiting fans to easily travel between games. Fifa awarded the finals to the Gulf country last month ahead of rival bidders Australia, South Korea, Japan and the United States. Meanwhile, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has approached Fifa to ensure that match dates for the 2022 Cup do not clash with that year's Winter Olympics.

The sooner they unravel the better. Disgrace of an organisation. IMO.

Australia and the USA must be beside themselves. How FIFA kept a straight face when giving it to Qatar is beyond me.

Although, I'm sure the million quid a man they received will have helped them.

43 degrees in the summer, no stadiums, no transport, not enough hotels, a country the size of Greater Manchester. The mind boggles. They don't even play football there!!

Plus, of course, their *ahem* traditional approach to morality and drinking.

Plus, of course, their *ahem* traditional approach to morality and drinking.

Oh no - they plan to put special rules in place for the duration of the event. Just shows you how much money talks eh....

I wonder if we will see 2 spikes of STDs/HIV in travelling football fans in the years following these African World cups.

Do you have some inside information as to which African country is going to host the 2026 World Cup?

Oh no - they plan to put special rules in place for the duration of the event. Just shows you how much money talks eh....

So they go all-out* to get the World Cup presumably to showcase themselves.. then have to suspend half their laws anyway.. and spend a fortune on stadia.. which will then lie empty in the desert..

Does any of this make sense for anyone at all?

I wonder if we will see 2 spikes of STDs/HIV in travelling football fans in the years following these African World cups.

I doubt it. Even a drunk football fan is likely to use a Jonny whilst banging an African prostitute.

Sure some wont but even then the chances of getting HIV from a one off sexual encounter is tiny. Possible of course.

Maybe a slight rise in some STD's - but then again probably no more than they would get from birds in the UK !!

So they go all-out* to get the World Cup presumably to showcase themselves.. then have to suspend half their laws anyway.. and spend a fortune on stadia.. which will then lie empty in the desert..

Does any of this make sense for anyone at all?

Its mental. Although the plan for the stadium is to ship them off in parts to Africa and rebuild them ?!

Almost as mental as Spurs plans for the Olympic stadium in London. Why oh why do so many people lack simpel planning and logic. Why cant we all be German !!

Woops - someone already had that idea and it didn't work out too well. :lol:

Its mental. Although the plan for the stadium is to ship them off in parts to Africa and rebuild them ?!

Almost as mental as Spurs plans for the Olympic stadium in London. Why oh why do so many people lack simpel planning and logic. Why cant we all be German !!

Woops - someone already had that idea and it didn't work out too well. :lol:

Although I can sort of understand Spurs logic...build the same stadium for £200m cheaper, although you do risk alienating your fanbase...

Oh dear... http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/13/tottenham-stratford-hotspur-mp-david-lammy

Although I can sort of understand Spurs logic...build the same stadium for £200m cheaper, although you do risk alienating your fanbase...

Oh dear... http://www.guardian....-mp-david-lammy

Could they not have planned this all before ?! Could they not have done, oh I don't know what do they call it, a PLAN !!

This country does my head in sometimes :lol::(

Although to be fair the Manchester Commonwealth stadium plan seemed to work out nicely for all concerned. So we can occasionally do something right.

I suppose there is some hope.

I doubt it. Even a drunk football fan is likely to use a Jonny whilst banging an African prostitute.

Sure some wont but even then the chances of getting HIV from a one off sexual encounter is tiny. Possible of course.

Maybe a slight rise in some STD's - but then again probably no more than they would get from birds in the UK !!

Hahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahaha

Come on. People are stupid, however they are not that stupid !!

Of course some will do it. No doubt about that. However the chance of them getting HIV from a one off event is slim to none. Possible of course though. Thats enough to get you slapping one on !!

Could they not have planned this all before ?! Could they not have done, oh I don't know what do they call it, a PLAN !!

A PLAN you say? Why, that's a very interesting concept! Very, very interesting indeed!

Um, what is it exactly? :huh:

A PLAN you say? Why, that's a very interesting concept! Very, very interesting indeed!

Um, what is it exactly? :huh:

I think it is something the Germans do ? ****** knows.

:lol:

Sepp's already dealt with that by asking gays not to have sex whilst they are in the kingdom.

And he was quite canny in his choice of Qatar - they don't have much oil compared to their neighbours, and their main source of foreign revenue is Qatar Airways, hence the reason they have to remain western friendly. If any boozing or buggery is uncovered in Iran or Saudi Arabia, they'd have no compunction in stringing the culprits up or attending to them in Chop Chop Square, because ultimately they take the line that we need their oil more than they need us. That's not so much the case with Qatar, as a result of which I suspect that they'll hold their collective noses and put up with an influx of European football yobs for the duration, with their eye on their bank balance after it.

That world cup in Oman will be even worse than the one in South Africa with those horrendous horns.

How does Oman come into it?

FWIW best country in the gulf IMHO.

Will be interesting to see matches played with players collapsing from overheating all over the place!

Extra time? Aaaaagggghhhh no please, we are dying!

Will be interesting to see matches played with players collapsing from overheating all over the place!

Extra time? Aaaaagggghhhh no please, we are dying!

http://www.solar-energy.co.uk/news/%E2%80%9Cqatar-2022%E2%80%9D-stadiums-cooled-sun.php

Ppl wont want to leave the stadiums...I can imagine a few few ppl get heat/sun stroke...

And he was quite canny in his choice of Qatar - they don't have much oil compared to their neighbours, and their main source of foreign revenue is Qatar Airways, hence the reason they have to remain western friendly. If any boozing or buggery is uncovered in Iran or Saudi Arabia, they'd have no compunction in stringing the culprits up or attending to them in Chop Chop Square, because ultimately they take the line that we need their oil more than they need us. That's not so much the case with Qatar, as a result of which I suspect that they'll hold their collective noses and put up with an influx of European football yobs for the duration, with their eye on their bank balance after it.

Qatar has massive gas reserves which is the source of its wealth and I wouldn't be suprised if some of that is used to subsidise Qatar Airways (they seem to have a very impressive modern fleet of aircraft).

It's not difficult to be more Western Friendly than Iran or Saudi but I'd say Qatar is significantly less Western friendly than Dubai or Bahrain. It's a strange place... so small that the locals are desperate to be taken seriously on the world stage but so wealthy they don't actually need to give a toss.

The Asian Cup is on here at the moment but I don't know how many foriegner visitors it has attracted - I can't say I noticed many tourists in Doha this weekend. I saw a few minutes of the Korea/Australia game on TV and it looked like the stadium was half empty. I'm going to try to catch a game next week so will get a better idea of the level of attendance...

Do you have some inside information as to which African country is going to host the 2026 World Cup?

No African country will hold the world cup again unless its SA. The others wouldn't be ready to hold by 2126.

Edit - Actually, Egypt could feasibly be ready by then with a lot of time to prepare. Can't think of anywhere else that would have a hope of getting the infrastructure sorted.

Drinking and partying is a big part of the world cup, I guess everyone will be in designated areas for this in Qatar, which could be disastrous.

http://www.solar-energy.co.uk/news/%E2%80%9Cqatar-2022%E2%80%9D-stadiums-cooled-sun.php

Ppl wont want to leave the stadiums...I can imagine a few few ppl get heat/sun stroke...

From the link...

This form of energy production for Qatar 2022 stadiums is also a good sign for the solar energy market as a whole. It goes to show that it is becoming a more and more viable option, even for large energy requirements.

Haha! The solar cooling is a PR stunt - petrol costs about 12p a litre here and you would not believe the amount of gas that gets flared off, solar is not 'viable' (even in a country as hot/bright as this) when fossil fuels here are so cheap.

In the summer it gets dark by 6:30pm but still stays incredibly hot/humid - the solar air-con won't be much use for evening games.

How does Oman come into it?

FWIW best country in the gulf IMHO.

Yeah Qatar , my mistake.

The place with the highest per capita greenhouse emissions for the past 18 years straight.

From the link...

Haha! The solar cooling is a PR stunt - petrol costs about 12p a litre here and you would not believe the amount of gas that gets flared off, solar is not 'viable' (even in a country as hot/bright as this) when fossil fuels here are so cheap.

In the summer it gets dark by 6:30pm but still stays incredibly hot/humid - the solar air-con won't be much use for evening games.

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/1804115/us-breakthrough-promises-solar-panels-dark