House Price Crash Forum
ccc

Bbc Business This Morning - Bank Of Mum And Dad Loans

Bit on about new loans available for Barratts homes - parents can take up to 50k on an unsecured loan to 'help' their kids buy a house. :rolleyes:

Bird and some mortgage bloke chatting about it for roughly 3 minutes. Didn't even mention price once.

What other subject could 2 so called 'experts' talk about for 3 full minutes, in regards to people not being able to afford it, and not mention price even once ?!

It is incredible. There is clearly an agenda and the presenters are so obviously told what they can and cannot say. Quite frankly it is scandalous.

To be fair to the business bird she did try and question if borrowing all this money at a cetain age for your kids was the best idea. However Mr Mortgage just fobbed her off with some bull about it being 'essential'.

Bit on about new loans available for Barratts homes - parents can take up to 50k on an unsecured loan to 'help' their kids buy a house. :rolleyes:

Bird and some mortgage bloke chatting about it for roughly 3 minutes. Didn't even mention price once.

What other subject could 2 so called 'experts' talk about for 3 full minutes, in regards to people not being able to afford it, and not mention price even once ?!

It is incredible. There is clearly an agenda and the presenters are so obviously told what they can and cannot say. Quite frankly it is scandalous.

To be fair to the business bird she did try and question if borrowing all this money at a cetain age for your kids was the best idea. However Mr Mortgage just fobbed her off with some bull about it being 'essential'.

I saw it, and it made me very angry.

Something along the lines of "It is essential that you take out a big loan to help your kids, otherwise - shock horror - prices may fall, and we will have to sell our houses at less of a profit." :angry:

I saw it, and it made me very angry.

Something along the lines of "It is essential that you take out a big loan to help your kids, otherwise - shock horror - prices may fall, and we will have to sell our houses at less of a profit." :angry:

But if prices fall you won't have to take a loan out to help your kids and the only people to be any worse off will be the banks. :rolleyes:

The BBC won't get these so called "experts" on unless they can plug these things. Nobody wants to go TV to have their business model or product torn about. Hence why never a bad thing is said about a guest stars film or book. Its basically "Pump TV."

But if prices fall you won't have to take a loan out to help your kids and the only people to be any worse off will be the banks. :rolleyes:

But then the bankers will be upset, and they'll need more bonuses.

I 100% agree, so much so I have jsut phoned into Newswatch to complain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3980000/newsid_3986900/3986927.stm

Do the same

Well done!

I'll phone them too.

Edit: Done.

Arr... I forgot to mention that it is unethical to use FTBers as cannon fodder to bailout current property owners/builders/banks.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

The BBC won't get these so called "experts" on unless they can plug these things. Nobody wants to go TV to have their business model or product torn about. Hence why never a bad thing is said about a guest stars film or book. Its basically "Pump TV."

But how often do they get experts on who will give an opposing point of view ? Why didn't they have Jonathan Davies or Merryn on to give a differing viewpoint on the same subject ? They just don't do it. Well they do but it is so rare it is like a blue moon event.

This is no accident. There must be specific guidelines about who they get on and what they are allowed/not allowed to say.

After years of brainwashing the public are finally starting to wake up to the truth. So why do no BBC presenters state these views ? Why do very few of the 'experts' they have on state these views either ? Have a look at the comments section of any property story on any local news paper. These days it is overwhelmingly against HPI and all theat nonsense. The worm has turned yet for some reason on the BBC they are steadfast in their views.

Nope. There is a proper agenda there and there must be something written down somewhere with specific rules on what can and cannot be said. And I don't think that is loony conspiracy chat or the like. Once you have watched this for years it is so obvious it is ridiculous. And then Homes under the hammer comes on and a confirms it !!

Thats the point I said to them. They did noting to try and provide balance and that it was just and advertising pieve for Barrets and Hitachi. I did use the words "congratulation to Barrets and Hitachi for getting a prime slot of free advertising on BBC news"

Edited by FIGGY

(...)

Nope. There is a proper agenda there and there must be something written down somewhere with specific rules on what can and cannot be said. And I don't think that is loony conspiracy chat or the like. Once you have watched this for years it is so obvious it is ridiculous. And then Homes under the hammer comes on and a confirms it !!

I think so too.

And I think you should put that on record, and ask them that, using NewsWatch form (link below).

Don't assume the NewsWatch team will ignore that. The BBC is a bureaucracy, and they keep these records, automatically. The NewsWatch journos will not necessarily cover for their Breakfast "colleagues". They may do their job, bureaucratically, to cover their own @rses.

Not much to lose. 5 minutes? Just ask them: http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3980000/newsid_3986900/3986927.stm

I think so too.

And I think you should put that on record, and ask them that, using NewsWatch form (link below).

Don't assume the NewsWatch team will ignore that. The BBC is a bureaucracy, and they keep these records, automatically. The NewsWatch journos will not necessarily cover for their Breakfast "colleagues". They may do their job, bureaucratically, to cover their own @rses.

Not much to lose. 5 minutes? Just ask them: http://news.bbc.co.u...900/3986927.stm

Thanks. I will contact them soon. I just want balance. That is all. And seeing they are bound by their charter to provide unbiased news they shouldn't really have a choice on the matter !!

If it's written down it can be FOI'd.. Worth a try

And then Homes under the hammer comes on and a confirms it !!

I don't know, I quite like HuTH. It captures so many things that are wrong with the UK in 2011 and presents them in a pure, crystalline form: bored retirees doing up a rental which ought to be some young FTB couple's nest simply because they have more money than they know what to do with, Asian "businessmen" squeezing five bedrooms into a 3 bed semi for their latest HB scam, boring shaven-headed men in their 40s converting entire streets into magnolia prison cells for students who are borrowing money from a bankrupt government to study Astrology at the local ex-poly, parents MEWing to buy a small flat for their pathetically grateful late 20something offspring to live in... On and on it goes.

Future economic historians will marvel at the madness of it.

Thanks. I will contact them soon. I just want balance. That is all. And seeing they are bound by their charter to provide unbiased news they shouldn't really have a choice on the matter !!

Exactly!

I bet in 2007 Gordon phoned the BBC asking them not to "talk the economy down"... :rolleyes: For the good of the nation, you understand, part of their "public services duty" <_< And that HP and the economy are "intimately intertwined", etc. You get the direction. Just a temporary "credit crunch", that started in America (by some evil b@nkers), but soon it will be all over, and "back up to normal". Nothing to see here, there-there, sleep tight, keep working and spending, and all will be well. The Great Leader Gordon The Economic Genius will do some nice fiscal stimulus, uncle Merv will print magic money, and we'll be all rich again. :) OK? Now rest, ' cause you must be very tired. Night-night.

Since most senior BBC journos owned properties in London, they just felt right to go along...

The b@stards.

This is all part of the course, the final nail in the coffin where the boomers sitting all smug in their inflated asset will suddenly realise they are worse off because the value of their property has gone up and NEED to take out a LOAN to set their kids up.

Great, just paid off the mortgage and now being pressured into more debt when all they want to do is retire.

Do they really think they will be allowed to keep all this wealth locked up in the property, no sir, if prices don't fall people will find a way of relieving you of your wealth.

The love affair with property will end just like it did in the 90's.

I'm looking forward to the panic stage, the most powerful emotion of all. People will rip their arm off in an attempt let go, at any price. :)

...and the only people to be any worse off will be the banks. :rolleyes:

This isn't necessarily the case. Although RBS & HBOS are effectively zombie banks, others are in better shape. Buried away in the Nationwide's most recent report was the statement that average LTV across their whole loan book is approx 65%. They can easily absorb price falls. Ironically, their problem is margin - which would be improved by a rise in rates.

UK banks have now had a good three years to 'work' their balance sheets into better shape. The underlying asset 'value' isn't as important, to them, as the surety that the debt will continue to be serviced. Low LTV on a paucity of new lending has helped to build a buffer (ongoing), such that any defaults, in the future, can be possessed on minimum forbearance and with tolerable haircuts in relation to the bigger picture.

House prices will fall in the UK, because it's part of the medium to long term programme for banks to return to healthier lending practices, with less reliance on dwindling wholesale funding - ie same volume; more individual loans; spread the risk.

Anyone who vainly believes that the 'value' of UK housing stock has substance, had better start preparing themselves for a shock.