House Price Crash Forum

On the face of it not too bad a thrashing for The Cleggster.But let's look at this more closely.You are Mr and Mrs Tory voter.Nice semi and the last Rover in captivity in the yard. Your preferred party has a Pakistani candidate,came third in the General Election and is in cahoots with the LD's.What do you do?

Well,almost encouraged by your party you vote for the Taff.I reckon 5,000 erstwhile Tory voters did that while a similar number of LD's either stayed at home or switched to Labour.On that basis Clegg lost half his voters.

Don't quite follow the logic here. Surely the coalition got more votes than the labour party ?

Labour: 14,718 (42.1%)<LI>Lib Dems: 11,160 (31.9%)<LI>Conservatives: 4,481 (12.8%) <LI>UKIP: 2,029 (5.8%)<LI>BNP: 1,560 (4.5%)

Labour 14718 votes

Coalition 15641 votes

That is a massive vote of confidence for the government in a traditional northern labour stronghold

Don't quite follow the logic here. Surely the coalition got more votes than the labour party ?

Labour: 14,718 (42.1%)<LI>Lib Dems: 11,160 (31.9%)<LI>Conservatives: 4,481 (12.8%) <LI>UKIP: 2,029 (5.8%)<LI>BNP: 1,560 (4.5%)

Labour 14718 votes

Coalition 15641 votes

That is a massive vote of confidence for the government in a traditional northern labour stronghold

What were the numbers in the last election?

I've analysed the results in my blog. My feeling is that this was a Lib Dem wipe-out despite their apparent increase in vote share. This is the price they pay for cosying up to the Tories.

The coalition is more fragile this morning as a result.

If there was any justice in the world, given that the whole thing was fought on the idea of a libdem 'lie', and yet the whole reason the by election was called, was that the Liebour candidate lied, some other parties would come first and second.

Guess the voters of Oldham like being lied to, regardless of red or yellow.

I've analysed the results in my blog. My feeling is that this was a Lib Dem wipe-out despite their apparent increase in vote share. This is the price they pay for cosying up to the Tories.

Thanks for that N.

temp.jpg

Why you think UKIPs extra votes came from BNP?

Maybe theyre tories dissapointed the cuts are getting 'cut.'

But we are looking at a coalition government and a labour opposition at the moment. How on earth can you attempt to di-sect the coalition government in a breakdown of the votes ? I would suggest the coalition is actually stronger this morning

Labour 14718 votes

Coalition 15641 votes

Despite being constantly told by the BBC, that the Lib/Dems were the living dead, I thought their vote held up very well.

How come no-one has mentioned turnout in this thread?

TURNOUT

2011 By-Election = 48.1%

2010 General Election = 61.2%

Nothing to see here...move along please!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Enoch is right of course.Cleggster heading for a river of blood.The blog is spot on.

Edited by profitofdoom

But we are looking at a coalition government and a labour opposition at the moment. How on earth can you attempt to di-sect the coalition government in a breakdown of the votes ? I would suggest the coalition is actually stronger this morning

A curious reading when the combined Con/Dem vote dropped from 58% to 44%

Edited by profitofdoom

Tories positive spin on the result.

"Look let's get it in perspective, we started in 3rd place and we finished in 3rd place". :P

Amazingly said still keeping a straight face.

Edited by billybong

On the face of it not too bad a thrashing for The Cleggster.But let's look at this more closely.You are Mr and Mrs Tory voter.Nice semi and the last Rover in captivity in the yard. Your preferred party has a Pakistani candidate,came third in the General Election and is in cahoots with the LD's.What do you do?

Well,almost encouraged by your party you vote for the Taff.I reckon 5,000 erstwhile Tory voters did that while a similar number of LD's either stayed at home or switched to Labour.On that basis Clegg lost half his voters.

There is so much wrong with this thread/post but you probably will never be able to understand why?

I am sad for your Soul.

There is so much wrong with this thread/post but you probably will never be able to understand why?

I am sad for your Soul.

I never really had you down as PC.Perhaps you just don't do irony.I did say Muslim and avoided the P word,and some of my best friends are Jewish and Welsh - not combined though.

I never really had you down as PC.Perhaps you just don't do irony.I did say Muslim and avoided the P word,and some of my best friends are Jewish and Welsh - not combined though.

You should have added a :rolleyes: to your OP. Even then, with it, it would still come across as just wrong.

I agree. About half the previous election's Tory vote went over to the LibDems. Despite this massive boost they only just held on to the same share percentage wise. Labour went up despite all the bad publicity regarding the way Woolas got kicked out.

Seems obvious to me who secured the real victory and who should be worried by the result.

I agree. About half the previous election's Tory vote went over to the LibDems. Despite this massive boost they only just held on to the same share percentage wise. Labour went up despite all the bad publicity regarding the way Woolas got kicked out.

Seems obvious to me who secured the real victory and who should be worried by the result.

Sorry had forgotten that every by election result of the last three decades had always accurately predicted any general election result.

Labour 14718 votes

Coalition 15641 votes

It funny, everyone I speak to fully supports the coalition, unless you are a student or a council worker, which is a small % of the general population.

Labour 14718 votes

Coalition 15641 votes

So there are at least 14718 idiots living there.

Did anyone else notice that the labour run Manchester Council released the news about the 2000 council job cuts a day or two before the election, I wonder why .... :rolleyes:

It funny, everyone I speak to fully supports the coalition, unless you are a student or a council worker, which is a small % of the general population.

Which one of the home counties do you live in?