House Price Crash Forum
gasket37

British Bookshops Chain Goes Into Administration

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12186379

i guess many held on until christmas to see what trade was like and then pulled the plug because the 1/4 day rent was due on 31st december...

51 stores x god knows what £'000s in rent is a lot of money i daresay.

rough luck on the employees though :(

let the terrible puns commence.

my effort "they've reached the end of the chapter".

:P

Aren't British Bookshops also known as Sussex Stationers ? It's sad if it is them, I always thought they were very good -- good range of discounted books and excellent range of stationery.

Aren't British Bookshops also known as Sussex Stationers ? It's sad if it is them, I always thought they were very good -- good range of discounted books and excellent range of stationery.

+1

They are & I agree they were really good - shame

doesnt matter, anyone flogging books/dvd's/cd's that cant compete with online retailers in price is toast imo.

doesnt matter, anyone flogging books/dvd's/cd's that cant compete with online retailers in price is toast imo.

Basically, any retailer who I was buying stuff from this time last year is going bust. When it comes to losing income I am in exactly the same place as in the last recession, 12 months ahead of the curve.

Sorry guys, nice shop but I just haven't got anything to spend at the mo. See you down the dole office.

It was a family business I recall - did it remain so (just wondering because i used to know one of the family back around the period of the early 90s recession)?

Edited by gruffydd

rough luck on the employees though

Looking at what is happening I predict unemployment will be worse than in Margaret Thatcher`s tenure and that around 5% of the members of this Forum will also be affected. Q4 2012 and Cameron and Clegg will be running around like headless chickens unable to give answers as the EU will also drag us down with them because Dave and Nick failed to take action when it was needed. :(

Never heard of them.

Nor me.

Aren't British Bookshops also known as Sussex Stationers?

Not heard of them either.

In a bit of a bind were they?

Couldn't cover their expenses?

They should jacket it.

I guess the books didn't balance in the end.

Bound to end in tears.

They were loss making, cut a load of staff and expanded this last year. First shp "bought" for £600? Min agricultural wage in 1971 was £58 for 40 hours work - so the shop cost them 10 weeks min wage work.

No wonder some many companies hve and will continue to fail when they commit financial suicide in the current pricing market.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/144089-british-bookshops-enters-administration.html

BBS' history goes back to 1938 when the first Sussex Stationers opened in Haywards Heath. Brothers Michael and Jonathan Chowen bought the shop in 1971—for £600—and slowly expanded it to 50 shops throughout the Southeast, incorporating books into the stock and renaming the chain British Bookshops, Sussex Stationers. It was sold to Irish bookselling chain Eason's in 2004 but was again sold in May 2009 to private equity firm Endless, owners of discount books chain The Works, after it proved to be drain on Eason's resources.

They were loss making, cut a load of staff and expanded this last year. First shp "bought" for £600? Min agricultural wage in 1971 was £58 for 40 hours work - so the shop cost them 10 weeks min wage work.

No wonder some many companies hve and will continue to fail when they commit financial suicide in the current pricing market.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/144089-british-bookshops-enters-administration.html

BBS' history goes back to 1938 when the first Sussex Stationers opened in Haywards Heath. Brothers Michael and Jonathan Chowen bought the shop in 1971—for £600—and slowly expanded it to 50 shops throughout the Southeast, incorporating books into the stock and renaming the chain British Bookshops, Sussex Stationers. It was sold to Irish bookselling chain Eason's in 2004 but was again sold in May 2009 to private equity firm Endless, owners of discount books chain The Works, after it proved to be drain on Eason's resources.

Word on the street is Eason's (Irish WHsmith) is in the sh1t and looking for buyer.

Word on the street is Eason's (Irish WHsmith) is in the sh1t and looking for buyer.

Well, you can just imagine what sort of pickle they would be in if they expanded at all during Ireland's bubble. Whether they tied themselves to rent or debt funded purchase of new outlets.

Especially online retailers (like sainsburys *cough*) that ship from "offshore" to avoid VAT.

Not a book shop, but there's a shop, ironically called "Forever England", that's closing down on our high street.

What did they sell?

Anyhoo in completely unrelated news Amazon just announced 950 new jobs in Scotland.

A real shame - they're an institution across the southeast, & one of the first places we used to shoplift from as kids :ph34r:

Thanks, I was wondering why I'd never heard of them.

It's similar to when the northeners bang on abouyt Greggs' pies and I think "Who?".