House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Retailers Report Poor Christmas Earnings

I can't find a thread on this here today so if already posted then apologies.

I was listening to Fivelive this morning and they got very excited about the pretty dire Christmas earnings just being announced by the likes of Homebase, Game, Argos, Dixons, Halfords, etc. Loads of shops were mentioned and all were worse sales than, as Fivelive pointed out, in the so-called recessions of 2008 an 2009... but now we are supposed to be in recovery.

Even Tesco was down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12179290

I was listening to Fivelive this morning and they got very excited about the pretty dire Christmas earnings just being announced by the likes of Homebase, Game, Argos, Dixons, Halfords, etc. Loads of shops were mentioned and all were worse sales than, as Fivelive pointed out, in the so-called recessions of 2008 an 2009... but now we are supposed to be in recovery.

Even Tesco was down.

That's because everyone is feeling prosperous again and went to John Lewis...

http://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/Display.aspx?MasterId=894e1f17-69b4-4084-8ac9-7af298b09d2b&NavigationId=819

Edit: That said, Waitrose fell through the floor:

http://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/Display.aspx?MasterId=30f0a41a-eec7-45ef-91f6-c10dc0cdf398&NavigationId=820

Edited by Hara

jack up food , electricity and gas by 8-9% , petrol most expensive it's ever been , wage inflation = almost non existent = people don't have money to buy Chinese tat anymore.

Let me guess , it was still 'unexpected' this drop in sales? :lol:

Not surprised Halfords is tanking, it and WHSmith are the most overpriced shops around my way. The sooner they are flushed away, the sooner more reasonably priced shops can take their place.

Not surprised Halfords is tanking, it and WHSmith are the most overpriced shops around my way. The sooner they are flushed away, the sooner more reasonably priced shops can take their place.

Yep, £6 for some alloy wheel cleaner in Halfords, bought it in my local High Street for £1, worked a treat, 51p for a packet of cigarette papers in W.H. Smith, 30p a pack in any convenience store or £1 for 5 packs in Morrisons.

Yep, £6 for some alloy wheel cleaner in Halfords, bought it in my local High Street for £1, worked a treat, 51p for a packet of cigarette papers in W.H. Smith, 30p a pack in any convenience store or £1 for 5 packs in Morrisons.

£10 for the cheapest pair of bicycle brake pads last time I went in Halfords. Can get a pair delivered off eBay for £2 or £3. Traipse into town to pay a 4x markup? Hmm...

Halfords is being killed by people buying their cheap imported Chinese tat (multipurpose tyre inflators, chargers etc) from Ebay rather than over the odds at Halfrauds. That plus people don't work on their cars like they used to, and integrated stereo/navs has killed the stereo market.

Magazine sales are on their ar5e at the moment, with many publications reporting a 30% drop last year alone, that won't do WHSMith many favours.

There was a magazine I was interested in buying at WHSmiths last week, some internet design mag, thing was £12 !! Yes, for a magazine. You can buy a several-hundred page user manual with no adverts for that. Soon put that bugger down.

Edited by exiges

whsmith stick exactly £1 more on every pack of cigs they sell compared to any other retailer, just like the services on the motorways do, lets just say most people only get caught out once by their scam.

Halfords is being killed by people buying their cheap imported Chinese tat from Ebay rather than over the odds at Halfrauds. That plus people don't work on their cars like they used to, and integrated stereo/navs has killed the stereo market.

Magazine sales are on their ar5e at the moment, with many publications reporting a 30% drop last year alone, that won't do WHSMith many favours.

There was a magazine I was interested in buying at WHSmiths last week, some internet design mag, thing was £12 !! Yes, for a magazine. You can buy a several-hundred page user manual with no adverts for that. Soon put that bugger down.

magazines are old technology, i used to buy a couple micromart and autotrader. now no-one builds there own pcs and the articles are not even close to being worthy from what you can get online and the advertisers are all online anyway. auto-trader is the same why pay for a list of cars for sale.

Even Tesco was down.

Every time retailers report a downturn (their prices are too high so customers are leaving?) or price increase (necessary to pay for their excessive pay increases?) I am drawn to checking their pay.

The salaries these people are getting has grown exponentially and is really bad for HPC. They can feed the housing chain from the top down. Imagine how many bank of mum dad outright cash purchases they can make. The salary levels they are being paid devalues every pound we have.

You can see how their salaries have grown over the years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2002/oct/05/executivesalaries.ftse1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2947850/FTSE-pay-spirals-out-of-control.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=517324&in_page_id=2

Banker's pay and bonuses attracts all the attention but some of these people are paid even more.

Hmm agree with the Halfords thing. They need to make stuff that lasts (though their bikes are pretty good). But virtually all the stuff I've bought in weeks; tat like a sat nav mounter and a cigarette lighter extender have all bust and stopped working.

What is it with WH Smith? Their stores are the tattiest on the high street, drab lighting, worn out carpets, and Talk Talk salesmen hastling you. Dreadful. Smiths are going down IMO.

...or 7 or 8 packs of fag papers for £1 on every boot fair and market around Dorset.

W.H.Smith are a number one to avoid for everything.

What is it with WH Smith? Their stores are the tattiest on the high street, drab lighting, worn out carpets

Yes, my local one looks like a pound shop. I had the misfortune to visit because I needed to buy a birthday present at short notice, it would have been 30% cheaper on Amazon.

Yes, my local one looks like a pound shop. I had the misfortune to visit because I needed to buy a birthday present at short notice, it would have been 30% cheaper on Amazon.

You can always tell a pirate equity owned shop, or one run by an ex bankster. In Boots the other day, absolutely no one on the tills. No one at all to complain to!! Had to walk out without buying. Boots is run by bankster Hornby and its very good to see he is running Boots into the ground too.

I find Bvlgari is particularly good for presents

Halfords get mentioned on here as if they have problems.

Annual Report http://www.investis.com/hal/ir/fininfo/reports/rep2010/ar2010/ar2010.pdf

Remuneration of executive Directors

David Wild 2010 = £1,134,000 2009 = £799,000 (+41.9%)

Nick Wharton 2010 = £555,000 2009 = £384,000 (+44.5%)

Paul McClenaghan 2010 = £540,000 2009 = £383,000 (+41%)

You can always tell a pirate equity owned shop, or one run by an ex bankster. In Boots the other day, absolutely no one on the tills. No one at all to complain to!! Had to walk out without buying. Boots is run by bankster Hornby and its very good to see he is running Boots into the ground too.

Not that they care. The business model is:

1. Borrow lots of money from other people

2. Buy up an established business and crank up the prices to make it look like you're trying to service the debts

3. Pay yourself lots of bonuses while disguising the fact that the underlying business is failing for as long as you can

4. Business fails, other people lose their money, you walk away laughing

Even Tesco was down.

Was in game the other day for a quick peek. They are selling many second-hand titles for the same price you'd find them on ebay. Ultimately you can't run a high street shop on those margins.

Hmm agree with the Halfords thing. They need to make stuff that lasts (though their bikes are pretty good). But virtually all the stuff I've bought in weeks; tat like a sat nav mounter and a cigarette lighter extender have all bust and stopped working.

to be fair, the halfords "professional tools" are really good and decent value for money. Thats the only thing i'd ever buy from halfrauds, though...

I don't relly bother looking any more but when I have notived prices on mag a lot seem to be around the £5.99.

At that price purchases from me = 0.

Not to worry though this price inflation is a sign of the country's recovery. :lol: Only if you are a pig thick central banker.