House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cardiffone

Giving An Ea A Tip

thats funny , someone wants advice on what tip to give to his Estate agent for selling his house...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92216

Why, what a wonderful gesture of humanity--I would recommend they double the fellows fee as a sign of their heartfelt gratitude. Yes sirree--this EA obviously set a fine example to the citizens of our fair land and it behooves us to reward them richly.

tbf he sounds like a hard working, motivated young man. I'd probably write a letter to his manager and also pony up £100 in high street gift vouchers. Hard work deserves personal acknowledgement.

tbf he sounds like a hard working, motivated young man. I'd probably write a letter to his manager and also pony up £100 in high street gift vouchers. Hard work deserves personal acknowledgement.

Surely £300 in holiday vouchers would be more appropriate? You know the ones, a booklet of £50 off if you buy a holiday for over a grand vouchers.

I took the girls in the estate agents some flowers when I sold mine - I was so relieved.

Looking back, it seems a bit cheap skate. Hey ho. :D

I paid my estate agent their fee when they sold mine... :rolleyes:

Can't abide tipping in any circumstances. If a waiter opens a 20 quid bottle of wine for you, then that's supposed to be a 2 quid tip. If the same opening skill is performed on a 200 quid bottle of wine, then the tip becomes 20 quid???

I'm in a line of work where I will never be tipped, so why should I tip those in certain other professions? Sure, their wages are less, but we have a minimum in this country and my income isn't exactly fantastic either.

Having lived in Japan, I can say they have the right idea - it's culturally offensive to tip. The whole concept came from the bloomin French and can stay over there as far as I'm concerned.

(side point - if you think tipping is getting out of hand here, it's gone to the extreme in Egypt. Take a pee in a public loo over there and someone will dart across the floor and turn the tap on so you can tip them...)

(side point - if you think tipping is getting out of hand here, it's gone to the extreme in Egypt. Take a pee in a public loo over there and someone will dart across the floor and turn the tap on so you can tip them...)

They are de rigueur in London - google "bog trolls".

+1 for hating tipping - a tip IMO represents a personal thanks for exceptional service. So I'm not shocked at someone wanting to tip an EA, maybe there are some very competent EAs out there :)

+1 for hating tipping - a tip IMO represents a personal thanks for exceptional service.

I don't mind giving gifts to people I know who have helped me out (like a mate who helped sort out our car's dodgy headlamps recently). What I hate is the expectation from the outset that a tip will be given, irrespective of the quality of service. I also don't see why people should be tipped regularly for doing what is in essence a paid job at the same time???

Can't abide tipping in any circumstances. If a waiter opens a 20 quid bottle of wine for you, then that's supposed to be a 2 quid tip. If the same opening skill is performed on a 200 quid bottle of wine, then the tip becomes 20 quid???

I'm in a line of work where I will never be tipped, so why should I tip those in certain other professions? Sure, their wages are less, but we have a minimum in this country and my income isn't exactly fantastic either.

Having lived in Japan, I can say they have the right idea - it's culturally offensive to tip. The whole concept came from the bloomin French and can stay over there as far as I'm concerned.

+1

I don't do tipping. My girlfriend hates it when we eat out. I'll tip for exceptional service or something special otherwise no chance.

In France the tip is included in the bill by law.

Edited by Pent Up

I took the girls in the estate agents some flowers when I sold mine - I was so relieved.

Looking back, it seems a bit cheap skate. Hey ho. :D

Ditto, he got a bottle of wine from the spar across the road.

Selling to his first viewer within a month of marketing after a different agent had got nought serious interest from a dozen viewers in 9 months was exceptional in my book.

Edited by daiking

You obviously haven't been out in London recently. The clubs and restaurants are infested with them.

Join my campaign - STAMP OUT T.B. (toilet beggars)

Do you think Cheryl Cole would be a figurehead for us?

You obviously haven't been out in London recently.

I generally give London a very wide berth, even when I used to live half an hour away by train.

I'm mostly likely to pass through by using Heathrow. That is usually an experience that endears me even less to the capital...

Why to people seems to think an estate agents who "sells" their house is in line for a tip, not the person who bought it?

Surely if a house needs "selling" the person buying deserves a medal for the purchase....`?

All an estate agent does in my opinion is advertise, and show people around....

Recently in a Bar in the US. Ordered 3 bottles of beer. $18. Not exactly cheap. Barman gave me the $2 back as change. I handed over $1 back as a tip. Not that I thought he deserved it but its what they do there - and I couldn't be arsed with him being arsey about it - like many are.

He picked it up and literally threw it back at me. :blink:

Clearly it was an insult to only offer him $1 for opening 3 bottles of beer.

We were going to stay for a while, have loads of drinks nad get dinner. Instead we left after one. He probably lost that bar $200 or so.

I know the reason they expect tips, few mates worked in a bar over there and I did also for a few months. The owners pay them literally nothing. Enough to cover legalities and that is about it. So for the barmen the tips are basically their wages.

However that is not the customers fault. We still have to pay $6 for a wee bottle of beer. If they have a problem with their boss paying them sweet FA ? They should take it up with them and not deal with it by being a knob to the customer.

Anyway. The ice cold Amstel Light was tasty at the time. :D

Recently in a Bar in the US. Ordered 3 bottles of beer. $18. Not exactly cheap. Barman gave me the $2 back as change. I handed over $1 back as a tip. Not that I thought he deserved it but its what they do there - and I couldn't be arsed with him being arsey about it - like many are.

He picked it up and literally threw it back at me. :blink:

Clearly it was an insult to only offer him $1 for opening 3 bottles of beer.

We were going to stay for a while, have loads of drinks nad get dinner. Instead we left after one. He probably lost that bar $200 or so.

I know the reason they expect tips, few mates worked in a bar over there and I did also for a few months. The owners pay them literally nothing. Enough to cover legalities and that is about it. So for the barmen the tips are basically their wages.

However that is not the customers fault. We still have to pay $6 for a wee bottle of beer. If they have a problem with their boss paying them sweet FA ? They should take it up with them and not deal with it by being a knob to the customer.

Anyway. The ice cold Amstel Light was tasty at the time. :D

How many customers a day would you save they serve? 50? That's an extra $100 a day if they all give a $2 tip on top of there basic wage.

You should have faked being hit, and then sued him for the extortionate medical bills involved in your treatment. Gotta play the system over there...

Didn't want to lower myself to their level !

How many customers a day would you save they serve? 50? That's an extra $100 a day if they all give a $2 tip on top of there basic wage.

Yep barmen/women in the US is a proper career for many. some make SERIOUS money. Not an easy job to just get - unlike here. My mates on a good weekend night in a wee Chicago bar could make $3-400 cash. Just for opening bottles all night and giving the customers some chat. Not bad. Then again this balanced out with having to work on a dead Tuesday and getting $50 for 8 hours or whatever. Still - not exactly the most stressful of jobs for the money.

I worked as a bar back for a wee while as well. Not even serving - just filling up bottles, cleaning stuff, working the door - all that monkey jazz. I got a share of the tips and was making over $100 per night for doing very little indeed. And getting smashed for free half the time. :D

The barmen did literally get paid sweet FA from the Bar. Can't remember the details but it was something like $50 per month for a full time job or similar. Their tips are their wages over there. Still - they need to realise that is not the customers fault.