House Price Crash Forum

Forced Retirement At 65 Set To End From April

HOLA441

Workers will no longer be forced to retire at 65 from April, the Government is expected to announce.

Campaigners say older workers have a lot to contribute

Ed Davey, a business minister, is due to tell MPs that the Default Retirement Age (DRA) will be scrapped.

The measure will be phased in between April and October to give employers time to adjust. It is understood no forced retirement notices will be issued from April.

At the moment, employers can legally force someone to retire at 65 as long as they follow a certain procedure.

Ministers see the move as a way of tackling age discrimination and reinforcing the value older employees can bring to workplaces.

Charities including Age UK campaigned against the "arbitrary and unfair" law and argued people over the age of 65 could still contribute to the economy.

But business leaders have criticised the move, saying it will reduce employers' flexibility.

A proposal to phase out the current policy was included in the Coalition Agreement published by the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats last year.

The Government began a consultation process in July which ended in October.

Mr Davey's written ministerial statement will coincide with the publication of a bill which could raise the age people can claim a state pension.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Forced-Retirement-At-65-Will-Be-Phased-Out-From-April-The-Government-Is-Expected-To-Announce/Article/201101215893667?lpos=Politics_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15893667_Forced_Retirement_At_65_Will_Be_Phased_Out_From_April%2C_The_Government_Is_Expected_To_Announce

HOLA442

Ministers see the move as a way of tackling age discrimination and reinforcing the value older employees can bring to workplaces.

Yeah riiiiight. More like Ministers know the country is screwed and we cannot afford to keep so many retired people sitting around eating biscuits all day long.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul again. For each one of these who stays on after 65 it is one less job for a youngster starting out. There is no free lunch here.

HOLA443

There will also be people working to pay for their elderly parents care rather than selling the family home, the boomers that MEW'd will simply keep paying off their debts and people will stay in their huge 5 bed detached houses because they can afford the rising fuel bills and council tax.

Nobody will make them redundant because it'll cost too much, I know at least one nurse who is utterly fed up of the job, downright horrible to patients who should just ****** off, I mean retire but she won't and now nobody can make her. Great news :(

HOLA444

I guess the key question for us is whether this will encourage mortgage lenders to start extending the maximum mortgage period from 25 years at some point. Or at least start extending it for people who have less than 25 years till they are 65.

I know both of these happen to some small extent now but might it become a more frequent arrangement?

HOLA445

I guess the key question for us is whether this will encourage mortgage lenders to start extending the maximum mortgage period from 25 years at some point. Or at least start extending it for people who have less than 25 years till they are 65.

I know both of these happen to some small extent now but might it become a more frequent arrangement?

Yes.....dragging out the term is very profitable for them I would have thought....anyway I thought the new retirement date being staggered to age 67 and rising....so will have to allow the workers to work longer (if they can keep up) or what are they to live on? ;)

HOLA446

Workers will no longer be forced to retire at 65 from April, the Government is expected to announce.

In much the same way that as from around 40 years ago, women were no longer forced to be housewives.

"Work 'til you drop" should be the Government motto here.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

IMHO this will be a disaster for career progression in many organisations. In the outfit I used to work in all the senior staff were in their 50s and 60s and always clung on to the bitter end to get the biggest (and generous) non-contributory pension that they could. Forced removal of the old folk was an absolute necessity to allow staff under 45 to be promoted sufficiently to a level where they could hope to buy a decent home or run a newish car etc etc.

What makes me sick is that these people have had all the benefits of free higher education, cheap homes, great pension schemes, and the best years economically speaking, and now they won't get their snouts ripped out of the trough at 65 to give some space for the younger less economically advantaged folk.

Of course, it will all be about their "freedom" to choose this and not about their selfishness.

:angry:

HOLA4410

IMHO this will be a disaster for career progression in many organisations. In the outfit I used to work in all the senior staff were in their 50s and 60s and always clung on to the bitter end to get the biggest (and generous) non-contributory pension that they could. Forced removal of the old folk was an absolute necessity to allow staff under 45 to be promoted sufficiently to a level where they could hope to buy a decent home or run a newish car etc etc.

What makes me sick is that these people have had all the benefits of free higher education, cheap homes, great pension schemes, and the best years economically speaking, and now they won't get their snouts ripped out of the trough at 65 to give some space for the younger less economically advantaged folk.

Of course, it will all be about their "freedom" to choose this and not about their selfishness.

...agreed ...this is a backward move for business efficiency and effectiveness ....it also messes up the prospects for the young who are attempting to get into employment ....proves the country is being run by people who have no idea.... <_<

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

...agreed ...this is a backward move for business efficiency and effectiveness ....it also messes up the prospects for the young who are attempting to get into employment ....proves the country is being run by people who have no idea.... <_<

..if they can they should give up their meal ticket, live off their savings and give something back to society like voluntary work...give the youngsters a chance, our hope our futures. ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I dread to think what the unemployment rate of under 25s will be in ten years time. So much for all this green shoots bull 5hit!

HOLA4415

I dont think this will encourage longer mortgages, longer mortgages are just HPIs rumour mongers dream.

HOLA4416

Campaigners say older workers have a lot to contribute

Ed Davey, a business minister, is due to tell MPs that the Default Retirement Age (DRA) will be scrapped.

The measure will be phased in between April and October to give employers time to adjust. It is understood no forced retirement notices will be issued from April.

At the moment, employers can legally force someone to retire at 65 as long as they follow a certain procedure.

Charities including Age UK campaigned against the "arbitrary and unfair" law and argued people over the age of 65 could still contribute to the economy.

But business leaders have criticised the move, saying it will reduce employers' flexibility.

A proposal to phase out the current policy was included in the Coalition Agreement published by the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats last year.

The Government began a consultation process in July which ended in October.

Mr Davey's written ministerial statement will coincide with the publication of a bill which could raise the age people can claim a state pension.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Forced-Retirement-At-65-Will-Be-Phased-Out-From-April-The-Government-Is-Expected-To-Announce/Article/201101215893667?lpos=Politics_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15893667_Forced_Retirement_At_65_Will_Be_Phased_Out_From_April%2C_The_Government_Is_Expected_To_Announce

Its all about the goverments Old Age Pension they don,t want to pay it at 65, nothing to do with peoples freedoms, i dont blame anyone who wants to continue to work after the age of 65 but this goverment is just using this as a messure they need to do to justify their increase in the OAP payment age.

This will just make it harder for the young to find a job, and just justify the large unemployment figures which are not going on fall as there are not the jobs to be had. The goverment know this but are just trying to fool the people of this country that they are interested.

Edited by awaytogo