House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Once in a lifetime

Can An Employer Control Your Holiday Schedule

company policy:

Where I work, on the shift I work, people cannot take their holiday if it clashes with one other person on that shift.

there are 5 people, all parents, that would like two weeks holiday in the summer school break.

the school holidays now only last 5 weeks so that means if two people book a fortnights holiday in that period

the other three cannot have two weeks summer holiday with their family.

I've looked at Government direct site and it does state a company can chose your schedules...!?

has anyone had this experience or raised a grievance over it?

to add: the other shifts are allowed more than one person off at a time (is this discrimination)

Mine is often difficult to get approved because the critical development periods on our projects are tending to fall during the summer months. It's the worst thing about my work... 50-60 hours a week when it's warm and sunny, which gives me time off in lieu I can often only take when it's cold and dark.

Sorry, mate, but the general principle you describe here is not unusual (it's applied everywhere I've worked and everywhere my wife has worked).

It is also not unusual to find that individual line managers impose the rules differently, as you describe, causing disparities between teams within the same workplace. As they are applying it to whole groups/shifts/lines etc, it seems unlikely that you can claim discrimination. Poor management perhaps. But, IMHO, I wouldnt bother trying to complain to their boss or to HR. It's sad but true that you will likely do your own prospects more harm than you will see them intervene on your behalf.

Experience has taught me that you only have one option if your boss sucks - get a different boss.

In every other shift job that I have known the opposite shift ( those on rest days) has always covered my leave by doing overtime which never caused a problem as most people like the extra cash.

This place have decided that they wont pay overtime so we are in exactly the same position.

The only way around it is to do shift swaps. If you cant take leave because people on your shift have booked it but want time off then swap your shifts with the other shift so that yours is covered and repay their days when they want them back.

I know people who get enforced holidays over christmas.

Why not have a week off with the kids each and make it fairer?

Yes, at a local factory the staff are all obligated to take 2.5 weeks of their holidays over the Christmas period because that is when they do the maintenance on the production machinery.

Well I think it is reasonable. As long as they do not take the piss.

What would happen if everyone could take their holidays whenver they wished ? There would be times when everyone would be off. You would come back from your holiday and your job would cease to exist. Would that really be better ?

Of course a decent boss should be able to make sure most people are okw ith their holidays. Although sometimes some people will not be. Shit happens.

I used to hate the compulsory holiday every saturday and especially sunday. It's not quite so bad since sunday is no longer a 'dead' day (can do the weekly shop & all that) but I still prefer time off when there are fewer others doing the same.

The worst now is the December season of Humbug, followed by the spring season of so-called bank holidays.

...if you can't get two weeks off during the school summer holidays every year why not opt for Easter....next year try to see that you are first in the pecking order. ;)

Just be the *** that books their holidays over a year in advance...

thats what i do, no complaints then, but there is not normally any issue with taking time off, as i dont have kids and would rather be working during the kids holidays and take my time off when the kids are at school/

my G/F's company does not allow holiday for the whole of April and November as its their busiest times of year. its in her contract, they all know about it and they work round it.

thanks for the feed-back... until now most firms I've worked at meet workers half-way

must be austerity measures kicking in.

bugger :(

No problem, just take the kids on holiday during term-time when it will be half the price. If their head teacher kicks up about it, just point out that there won't be any jobs for them to do when they leave school anyway.

No problem, just take the kids on holiday during term-time when it will be half the price. If their head teacher kicks up about it, just point out that there won't be any jobs for them to do when they leave school anyway.

Kids are grown up. wife's a teacher... double bugger :(:(

this didn't happen when school holidays were 7-8 weeks in summer break.

I heard of a travelling salesman who was snowbound in Aberdeen a few weeks ago. He phoned his HQ for instructions and was told:

"Start two weeks' holiday now.."

B)

I know people who get enforced holidays over christmas.

Why not have a week off with the kids each and make it fairer?

I was staggered how many companies weren't back until Jan 10th this year - I suspect this is the reason.