House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Blackberry For Hpc?

I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry on contract for £30/month.

Does anyone use them?

How good are they for =

1. HPC forums

2. ADVFN forums

3. Spread betting (charting not needed)

4. Youtube (not too important)

5. Excel (not too important)

Which would you use a Blackberry or Laptop more for general internet browsing?

I use a Blackberry for mainly professional email receipt and the odd (Urgent) response.

Insofar as surfing, despite having an excellent Orange deal for WAP, it is sloooooooow.

Mainly been used to unearth urgent data when it actually achieves anything like a non-snail connection.

Luckily since I've been with Orange since forever and blackmailed them into a real deal, my emails and surfing cost nothing extra outside the deal in UK.

When in France the cost is astronomic!

I'm living in France increasingly as wife and I have a home there and much prefer it to rip off, scrote-infested Britain.

So in la belle France I have a local service provider and use a laptop.

Just to annoy you, my contract comes with far more calls and texts than I ever use and costs £20/month. Incl VAT.

I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry on contract for £30/month.

Does anyone use them?

How good are they for =

1. HPC forums

2. ADVFN forums

3. Spread betting (charting not needed)

4. Youtube (not too important)

5. Excel (not too important)

Which would you use a Blackberry or Laptop more for general internet browsing?

Woudn't bother with a backberry. HTC desire is what you want. You could argue it's last generation, but you'll be able to get one for £20 with unlimited data and probably all the calls and texts you'll ever want.

Thanks to the replies. The phone will only be used in the UK.

The £30 quote is from vodafone for the latest handset. A deal closer to £20, and the idea starts to get more interesting, with unlimited data. I'll have a look at HTC.

Blackberry - great for email and phone. Internet - Atom laptop and mobile broadband. Much prefer the larger screen for internet use. Depending on usage could still (just) pick up PAYG non0expiring Vodafone mobile dongle - makes limited daily browsing V.Cheap. Hit a hotspot and switch over.

One device - wouldn't get a Blackberry - the Desire is better for that.

I read HPC and other forums on my blackberry quite a lot. Yes it is slow when you are connecting to the internet via WAP, however most if not all Blackberry's have are Wi-Fi capable so whenever you are near a wireless hotspot access is pretty quick.

There's also a decent enough selection of apps. Ones I use include ScoreMobileFC, TrainTimes, Google Maps, GMail, Facebook, and Bolt (good mobile web browser). Plenty more of the usual suspects are available (e.g. Opera, Twitter).

The Blackberry Messenger is pretty good as well, but won't be much use if you don't know anyone else who ones one!

If you want a cheap(ish) phone that's good for web browsing, check out any of the Android based handsets that are available on Vodafone, like the Motorola DEFY, previously mentioned HTC Desire, etc.

Not sure if this is verging off topic, but for mobile web access you can't ignore the IPhone.

It's great for browsing HPC and also for trading via apps such as IGIndex.

Worth the money IMO.