House Price Crash Forum

How Do You Dispose Of 24 Ct Gold?

HOLA441

I've got a couple of oz of old industrial gold, 24 carat, four 9s pure. And I want to sell.

Now - if I go to the High Street, I assume I will get offered 60% of spot price because they'll sense desperation (after all, you have to be a bit desperate to flog your old jewelry).

But I assume for 24 carat gold it must be possible to get a price nearer to spot because there's no need to refine the gold?

Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers.

HOLA442

The gold will end up being refined and processed anyway before it is sold on.

Most places pay around 60% to 70% tops - I don't know where you live but if you want to sell locally go to the independent stores because they will offer more than franchise jewellers / pawnbrokers. Whatever you do don't put it in the post. Postal firms tend to pay only between 10% to 40% of what it is worth.

If you live near Bath then I'll buy if from you for 90% of spot price. You won't get a better price on the high street.

Tel:01225461178

Edited by lordjim

HOLA443
HOLA444

just sell to a refiner, cut out the to55ers on the high street the middle men and pimps.

I would sell to bairds or hatton garden metals. Both sites state current prices and are pretty close to spot. Bairds (goldline) states a list of scrap prices and hgm has a calculator I think.

I have bought from both places, never sold but watch their prices. I know people who have sold to both places and said it was fine, hassle free.

http://www.goldline.co.uk/scrapPage.page

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/scrap-gold-prices.aspx

hgm is only 4.5% less than spot on 24ct. Goldline dont quote 24ct so you would have to ask but they are beating hgm on their 22ct price. Pretty tight spreads without any middle men.

Edited by richyc

HOLA445

just sell to a refiner, cut out the to55ers on the high street the middle men and pimps.

I would sell to bairds or hatton garden metals. Both sites state current prices and are pretty close to spot. Bairds (goldline) states a list of scrap prices and hgm has a calculator I think.

I have bought from both places, never sold but watch their prices. I know people who have sold to both places and said it was fine, hassle free.

http://www.goldline.co.uk/scrapPage.page

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/scrap-gold-prices.aspx

hgm is only 4.5% less than spot on 24ct. Goldline dont quote 24ct so you would have to ask but they are beating hgm on their 22ct price. Pretty tight spreads without any middle men.

Worth noting that goldline (Baird and Co) won't pay cash to non VAT registered customers and unless the item is bullion then you may have to wait for the metal to be assayed before they send the cheque / bank transfer. This can take some time. I don't know about Hatton Garden Metals but many refiners have the same policy. Obviously in many parts of the country there may also be travel costs to consider.

Edited by lordjim

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Worth noting that goldline (Baird and Co) won't pay cash to non VAT registered customers and unless the item is bullion then you may have to wait for the metal to be assayed before they send the cheque / bank transfer. This can take some time. I don't know about Hatton Garden Metals but many refiners have the same policy. Obviously in many parts of the country there may also be travel costs to consider.

I have asked bairds before about their vat registered customer policy when I was considering my exits. The policy appeared to make no difference, I wouldnt be there face to face and wouldnt expect cash in the post. The whole process is postal and a cheque would be sent in the post. I didnt get the impression that it would take any longer than usual, the process is straight forward enough as I understood it.

HOLA449

Hatton Garden Metals as already mentioned.

Make sure you send insured and tracked. They are quick and reliable.!

edit : or pop into Plus Gold, Spencer street , Hockley (the famous jewellery quarter) Birmingham, and come out with cash....(have used them many times...reliable and trustworthy)

http://money.uk.msn.com/blog/making-money-blogpost.aspx?post=5b9f9a97-7291-48a1-a06d-70450c7bc17a

Read comments and also D John`s 9 December

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

HOLA4410
HOLA4411