House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the end is a bit nigher

How Much?

Trying to work out if the crash is more forward in the SE than up here as i keep seeing posters linking to properties down there (I'm up North!) and thinking, that's cheap.

How much would this be in your area? Bear in mind it is a 5 bed terrace and has a yard at the back.

How much?

Trying to work out if the crash is more forward in the SE than up here as i keep seeing posters linking to properties down there (I'm up North!) and thinking, that's cheap.

How much would this be in your area? Bear in mind it is a 5 bed terrace and has a yard at the back.

How much?

I used to live just across the Stray from there. I could SO live in that house though. *sigh*

location ok but £.5m for a 5 bed terrace (it's the middle one)? - i think the agent also has something to do with it - notorious for over-pricing

Harrogate has always been expensive, especially that area. But yes, it does seem rather dear.

I think this is just another example of EA's inability to price property. They just seem to pluck figures out of thin air and see what happens.

Where I live I see widely different prices for similar property. There is no reason for this other than EA's just guessing and taking a chance.

I think this is just another example of EA's inability to price property. They just seem to pluck figures out of thin air and see what happens.

Where I live I see widely different prices for similar property. There is no reason for this other than EA's just guessing and taking a chance.

This particular EA is the most expensive in Hgte by far. Their properties sit for months with no takers. You can buy a house like this on the other side of town (but equally close) for around £250k

This particular EA is the most expensive in Hgte by far. Their properties sit for months with no takers. You can buy a house like this on the other side of town (but equally close) for around £250k

But then you aren't paying for the 'near the grammar school' tag.

How much?

...in my area that house would probably cost about £50k more (..that's a guess..)..

..based on this one which the nearest type/price i can find but only 3 bed....

too much..!!

...neither of them are worth more than £275k IMO... :huh:

...in my area that house would probably cost about £50k more (..that's a guess..)..

..based on this one which the nearest type/price i can find but only 3 bed....

too much..!!

...neither of them are worth more than £275k IMO...  :huh:

i think i've losttrack of reality!!!

for

How much?

i live in Harrogate too.............and i agree.....Places like St Alban's and many towns in Surrey will always be dearer than anywhere in the North....but stuff's appearing in places like Essex with keener prices than you get here...

In the last crash prices fell 10% tops in the North but 27% in the London area....making the South East TOO cheap taking into account salaries.

An expensive Northern town like Harrogate (which is surely the dearest SIZEABLE town in the north.)......is traditionally on a par with Essex's grimmest placeS but in the last crash didn't fall as much.............so became as expensive as the likes of Orpington, Kent ............something which is beginning to repeat itself......

The new flats on the Royal Baths site are going for £460k and are already 60% sold......ugh!............a nice part of town but the actual site doesn't give any nice views and at the back they overlook the Wetherspoons and Revolution carpark...Think drunken revellers shouting and screaming till 1am.....and 24 hour drinking's on its way.........AND eVEN HERE YOU CAN BUY a large house in a good area for that kind of dosh...............on say Cold Bath Rd or West End Ave............

Guest KingCharles1st

I live in North Hertfordshire, in a town called Letchworth, a typical classy little commuter town. I don't own at the mo, having just gone through the big divorce, and have been sitting back and looking at what us happening around and about.

Prices are definately reducing round here, although levels of sales are still good. I think as people play "musical houses" and the good desirable properties get bought by people either relocating, or trading up slightly as prices fall, ultimately it is the undesirable /crap properties which will find their true levels- i.e. realistic/cheap.

BUT- My parents live in Sedbergh, on the edge of the Lake District, close to Kendal, and I have noticed that prices have stormed up in that area over the last two years, and are now level with places like letchworth, almost directly comparable in fact.

BUT- as yet they show NO sign of sliding back, which is a shame as I was thinking about moving to a nicer part of the world! Most of the buyers who stare in the EA's windows, seem to be dissafected fairly well off southerners who want to dodge the rat race and change their lifestyle, they think that they can do B & B, own a little coffee shop, art gallery whatever, just to make ends meet ,and rely on their savings- aren't these always the first things that go under when a real crash happens...

As another fellow local resident, I agree its depressing and these prices are just crazy. Early 2004 we viewed a house on Westend Avenue, the owner was a local estate agent and valuer, very well known. The house sold but a couple of weeks later he decided that he had incorrectly valued his own house and put it up £30k!! and it still sold.!!

All just madness. Drove past a house yesterday that we looked at in 2004 for £315k, its now up for £450k.!!. It will be interesting to see if it sells.

Depresssing to see that sales seem to be increasing and no sign of a downturn here yet.!! Gosh, getting fed up in rented..